Pop Culture Fugues ☺
  • Is it not highly questionable that such treatment makes 'non-pop' of pop? This is, is it not, but a modern chapter of the late mediaeval-renaissance redemption of secularisms. After all, l'homme arme was no longer 'popular music' after Josquin had operated on it. We could use more of this... so could our youth!!!
  • francis
    well, the subjects herein are sorely lacking and as you know about building a house on sand... but the treatment is entertaining.
  • rob
    But there is still the question of "provenance" to consider, I should think.

For as long as a tune bears certain connotations -- visually as well as aurally, I'd say these days -- it simply cannot be used liturgically, whatever its merits may be musically.
  • A potent point...
    but... does that apply as well to parody masses? I should think so: logic is logic.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Another fun non-liturgical composition of this ilk is the “Trio in a Style of Bach: Alles Was Du Bist”* by Billy Nalle, which was played at both the AGO and ATOS conventions back in 1966. The cantus firmus in this “chorale prelude” is in the left hand:

http://michaelsmusicservice.com/music/Nalle.AllesWasDuBist.html

(* Jerome Kern’s “All the Things You Are”)
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • rob
    I'd say so, provisionally. Perhaps there is a subjective as well as an objective component to the question, though. Before I read this post, for example, I'd have judged a Sanctus composed on the theme above on its own merits, without taking into consideration its attribution to the Lady Gaga.

• Geremia
    For as long as a tune bears certain connotations -- visually as well as aurally, I'd say these days -- it simply cannot be used liturgically, whatever its merits may be musically.
    This happened in the history of sacred music.