Kyrie XVII C
    Gradual "Qui sedes"
    Alleluia "Excita Domine"
    Credo III
    Offertory "Benedixisti" and discantus on Ps. 32
    Sanctus XVII
    Agnus XVII
    Communio "Dicite: Pusillanimes" and verses
    After Mass: "Alma redemptoris mater" (chant)

We are working our way toward more polyphony. Next step is mixing chant and fauxbourdon.
  • GavinGavin
    Technically, you're asking what I heard on Gaudete Sunday, which totally opens me up to brag about my personal life: I'm accompanying a choir in a large youth theater program, and playing a short recital beforehand. All this is at an old theater with a beautiful 1927 Casavant which is just now starting to be restored! The organ is incredible, and has been left in disrepair until recently. Picture: http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1287/70/38/15304316/n15304316_32128211_4703.jpg

So what I'm hearing is:
    Verdi - Grand Marche from Aida (Oxford Wedding Book)
    Vierne - Berceuse
    Rheinberger - Fughetta in Ab
    Verdi - Recordare fr. Requiem
    Handel - Pastoral Symphony
    Boellmann - Minuet fr. Suite Gothique
    (If the crowd really loves the organ, I'll replace the last two with Widor's Finale from Symphonie VI)

My fortune doesn't end there, nor does the connection with Advent III. Since I'm unemployed, I'll be going to a major historic church in the area to pick up my music for their orchestral EF Midnight Mass of the Nativity! Gaudete indeed!
  • Pes
    That's wonderful, Gavin! Alas, our chapel does not have an organ. An orchestral EF Midnight Mass sounds incredible.
  • CharlesW
    That organ has to be a beautiful instrument, given its builder and vintage. It is wonderful that it is being restored. I don't use organ much except for hymns and communion cover during Advent. But I am opening Midnight Mass with a prelude, "Joseph Est Bien Marie" by Balbastre and ending with the "March from the 3rd Organ Symphony" by Widor on a 1953 Schantz. I have a 30-minute choral concert before the mass and will be doing "And the Glory of the Lord" at offertory with a few French Noels sprinkled in at various time. I
  • Organ—Pièce d’Orgue, BWV 572 J. S. Bach
    Introit—Gaudete Mode 1 (English)
    Kyrie eleison—Adrian Batten
    Gradual—Psalm 126 Arranged by James McGregor (Mode 8 antiphon of the "Lumen ad revelationem" type; Psalm tone 8G)
    Hymn--"Hark, a thrilling voice is sounding" Tune: Merton
    Alleluia (Mode 7 from Sunday vespers in Paschaltide, cf. Dixit Dominus)
    Credo--Credo 3, Mode 5 (English)
    Offertory—Benedixisti Mode 4 (English)
    Anthem--This is the Record of John--Orlando Gibbons
    Hymn--Once he came in blessing (Tune: Gottes Sohn ist kommen)
    Sursum corda and preface--Solemn Tone
    Lord's Prayer--Solemn tone
    Agnus Dei--Adrian Batten
    Communion--Dicite pusillanimes--Mode 7 (English) with psalm verse
    Hymn--Prepare the way, O Zion (Tune: Berdan vag fur Herran)
    Organ—Liebster Jesu, BWV 731 Bach
  • I heard "Cry of the Poor" and "People look East" sung by a cantor and no one else, even though the church had a couple hundred people. When the Lord's prayer was chanted, however, I finally heard just about everyone sing. Says something, doesn't it?
  • Michael -

In their defense, at least those are hymns that I can see the reason for singing today. They also aren't nearly the "worst of the worst".

How about when a parish uses, on any given Sunday for no particular reason, "All Are Welcome" and "I Myself am the Bread of Life". All accompanied by bongas of course.

We sang:

O Come, O Come Emmanuel
    Gelineau Magnificat
    Offertory : This is the Record of John
    Communion: Be Strong, Fear Not (Concordia; very durable and easy to sing.)
    People Look East
  • mjballoumjballou
    Where I'm organist, we had:

10 a.m. (pick-up youth choir)
    On Jordan's Bank - Entrance
    Lo, How A Rose - Offertory
    O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and O Lord, I am not worthy - Communion
    Immaculate Mary - Recessional

12 p.m. (choir)
    O Come, O Come - Entrance
    Lo, How a Rose - Offertory
    Comfort Ye from The Messiah - Communion solo followed by
    The Spirit of God is Upon Me (Deiss)
    On Jordan's Bank - Recessional

Both Masses used The People's Mass for the ordinary and Respond & Acclaim for Psalm and Alleluia.

And we did have rose colored vestments for the celebrant
  • Our Lady of Walsingham - Houston

Processional - On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry --- "Winchester New"
    Introit - Gaudete in Domino (English) --- Tone VII
    Kyrie - Cum jubilo (English) --- Mode I
    Gradual - Magnificat --- Anglican chant, G.H. Knight
    Alleluya - Excita, Domine (English) --- Tone VI
    Creed --- Recto tono
    Offertory Antiphon - Benedixisti, Domine (English) --- Tone II
    Offertory Anthem - Rejoice in the Lord Alway --- H. Purcell
    Sanctus - (English) --- Mode V
    Agnus Dei - (English) --- Mode V
    Communion Antiphon - Dicite pusillanimes (English) --- Tone I
    Communion Anthem - Dearest Lord Jesu, Why Dost Thou Tarry? --- J.S. Bach
    Hymn at the Dismissal - The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns --- "St Stephen"
    Organ Voluntary - Nun komm der Heiden Heiland --- Anonymous
  • St. Rose de Viterbo, Longview, WA

Introit - To you O god I lift up my soul - Bob Hurd
    Kyrie - spoken
    Gradual (R.P.)- Magnificat, Owen Alstott, setting "R&A"
    Alleluia - Owen Alstott, setting "R&A"
    Creed - spoken
    Offertory - Save us O Lord, Bob Dufford, SJ
    Sanctus - St. Louis Jesuits Mass
    Memorial Acclamation D - SLJ Mass
    Agnus Dei - Dan Schutte SLJ Mass
    Communio - Christ Be our Light, Bernadette Farrell
    Recessional - Alleluia hurry the Lord is Near - Ernest Sands
  • miacoyne
    Children's schola

At St. Martin's (Little Sisters of the Poor)
    Dec. 14, Sunday, 10:30 AM

O Come ,O Come Emmanuel
    Kyrie XVI
    Ave Maria (offertory-schola)
    Sanctus XVIII
    Mysterium Fidei and Amen
    Agnus Dei XVIII
    Veni, veni Emmanuel (communion-schola)
    People, Look East

The children's singing was simple, but beautiful enough to make the eyes of the elderly people sparkle with tears and joy. (They sang Latin chants from memory)
  • Bach for prelude, Gaudete introit by Richard Rice, psalm tone Psalm with choral versus, Alma Redemptoris solemn chant and Guerrero, Mass XVII, Dicite for communion followed by Tallis Gloria patri, Jubilate Deo by di Lasso, and finally a hymn for recessing: O Come Divine Messiah. It was a good day!
  • For my prelude I played the Dupre "Magnificat" antiphon, "My soul doth magnify" from the 15 Antiphons (as the Mag was the canticle assigned for the responsorial between the readings), and the postlude was from Das Orgelbuchlein: Gott, durch deine Güte. The anthem at 9 AM with the choir was, "Rejoice, O Jerusalem, Behold, Thy King Cometh" by Healy Willan. Hymns: O Come, Divine Messiah; Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus; My Soul in Stillness Waits; the setting of the Mag by Haugen, "Proclaim the Greatness of God"; and People, Look East.

Keep in mind that I'm in a very large suburban parish. This is a real step up from what they were doing before I arrived. They used to do "A Voice Cries Out" by Haugen, or is it Joncas. . . does it matter? . . . and, "Come to Set Us Free" by (as Christopher Walker so aptly, but in his case jokingly, called her, "that wicked woman") Bernadette Farrell. Neither of these were anywhere to be found (at least apart from the contemporary ensemble Mass on the first and third Sundays) among our selections, and so far, nobody's groused.
  • Gaudete Introit
    Alma Redemptoris Mater Offertory
    O Come Divine Messiah Offertory
    Sanctus XVIII
    Our Father (chanted in English)
    Agnus Dei XVIII
    Dominus dabit (Communion -- I know wrong week, but my schola knows it)
    Veni Emmanuel (verses 4-5 Latin and English)

We also had a re-enactment of St. Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe, plus Matachine dancers before our introit! We had a big crowd today...
  • A fairly normal Sunday for us in the Washington (DC) suburbs:

Introit: Gaudete (American Gradual)
    Hymn: Come, thou long-expected Jesus (Stuttgart)
    Kyrie: Missa super Dixit Maria (Hassler)
    Gradual Psalm: psalm tone/fauxbourdon setting (arr. Sam Schmitt)
    Alleluia: Mode 6
    Offertory: (By Flowing Waters)
    Anthem: Lift up your heads (Messiah/Handel)
    Hymn: Hark, a thrilling voice (Merton)
    Preface: simple tone
    Sanctus: Mass XVIII
    Agnus: Missa super Dixit Maria (Hassler)
    Communion: (By Flowing Waters)
    Motet: Rejoice in the Lord alway (16th-century English)
    Antiphon: Alma Redeptoris Mater
    Hymn: The King shall come (Saint Stephen)
    Organ: Little Partita for Advent (on Veni Emanuel) (James Woodman)
  • Jan
    Holy Rosary Chapel at St. Vincent's, San Rafael, California
    12:15PM Latin Mass (Extraordinary Form, 1962)
    (Archdiocese of San Francisco)

Processional: O Come, O Come Emmanuel/arr. Mary Berry
    Sprinkling: Asperges me (Chant)
    Introit: Gaudete (Chant Proper) -- Men's Schola
    Kyrie: Mass XVII (Chant Ordinary)
    Gradual/Alleluia: Rossini Psalm Tone -- Men's Schola
    Credo: Credo III (Chant Ordinary)
    Offertory: Benedixisti Domine (Chant Proper) 2 Cantors
    Hymn: Rorate Caeli (Christopher Tye) with Chant Verses -- Mixed Choir/Men's Schola
    Sanctus: Mass XVII (Chant Ordinary)
    Agnus Dei: Mass XVII (Chant Ordinary)
    Communion: Dicite pusillanimes (Chant Proper) -- Men's Schola
    (with Rice/Communio Psalm Tone Verses)
    Motet: Ave Vera Virginitas (Josquin de Pres) -- Mixed Choir
    Recessional: On Jordan's Bank (Praetorius)

Janice Clark, Music Director
  • At our Latin Mass (EF) I used the organ quietly for prelude and postlude. I've been chanting the Introit as Prelude, but I'm fighting a really bad bug, and just couldn't deal with chanting today! The organ was only used at those points by itself, not for filler during the Mass. Here are the hymns we sang:

Ent. "Come, Thou Long Expected Savior" to Hyfrydol (We already did it to Stuttgart.)
    Off. "On Jordan's Bank" to Winchester New
    Com. "O Come, O come Emmanuel" (all 8 verses)
    Rec. "O Come Divine Messiah" to Venez, Divin Messie
  • Note the above: Four English hymns in the EF. I've rarely seen a better illustration that a change of Missals alone is not the answer to the musical crisis in the Catholic Church.
  • Jeffrey, to a point I agree. I am hopeful that things WILL progress towards solemnity and away from the "4 hymn sandwich". But the Low Mass will be with us, and I don't think that is the worst of all worlds. And it's not so much the existence of the 4HS, but the almost universal paucity of hymnody used! Whether the hymns are from the Office, or from various centuries and traditions, there are THOUSANDS of them to consider! Just take the good Fathers Faber, Caswall, and Newman from 19c England - HUNDREDS of hymns right there! There is no excuse for a limit of a dozen Christmas carols, and 1/2 dozen Lenten hymns, similar Advent hymns, and maybe two dozen general hymns for the rest of the year! I DO program Latin hymnody as often as possible, but it depends on the congregation to sing. I.e., I would love sing "Veni, veni Emmanuel", but it just wouldn't fly. I would also love to have more High Masses, but that is not up to me.
  • I was privileged to hear a commendable rendition (despite the conductor, who was me) of my newly composed Missa in Tempus Adventus, sung by the choir of St. John the Beloved Church, McLean, Virginia, with organist Mary Catherine Levri. The three movements use various familiar Advent tunes (Veni Emmanuel for the Kyrie, Rorate caeli for the Sanctus and Benedictus, and Creator alme for the Agnus Dei). Some last minute rethinking saved the Agnus from dire straights (which it pays to be flexible), and the whole seemed well received. Pastor Franklyn McAfee is a rare giant as a champion of choral music at Mass, and along with Director David Lang, continues to be the great patron of this living composer.
  • I really didn't intend to disparage your efforts at all, Steven, and I think it is extremely important that people post what they are doing. It helps us all. It's just that it was bracing to me to observe a real-life example of an all-English hymn programs within the EF context. I've variously been criticized for failing to understand the reality of the preconcilar period. Those criticisms might be valid.
  • miacoyne
    What was the reality of the preconcilar period? (I wasn't there yet) Does EF these day allow people at the pew sing the reponses? Because I noticed some people are trying to respond and most don't. Is all the singing still done by schola only? Is it a part of the problem?
  • GavinGavin
    Mia: the reality of the preconciliar period was bad, BUT things were slowly improving. There were parishes where they had Low Mass with the same 4 songs every week (even Christmas). There were many, many churches where people actively avoided high Mass because it was too long, and the choir used what we now call the "Rossini Propers" and Mass VIII. And yet parishes were developing with scholas and good choirs and choir schools. Then the radical reform came and wiped that all out. So while I can say the situation was bleak, there was much improvement and probably by now we would be seeing a very good liturgical landscape. Vatican II's ham-handed implementation set all that progress back about 50 years.
  • Pes
    Mia, in our chapel the congregation sings all the responses with the server. They even sing the Kyrie in alternatim with the schola if they know it (which is often), and they always sing Credo (III) with full voice. I suppose that as far as EF congregations go, they are very "active" externally. I would even go further and say that, given that their interior participation also appears to be highly intense, their overall participation in the Mass is the most actuosa that I've ever seen.

Ninety percent of them are under 40 years of age.

It is, if you like, a kind of springtime.

Gavin

I suspect your characterization is, as usual, spot-on.
  • GavinGavin
    Oh yes, you had asked about participation. It varies by parish. I live in an area with about 4 or 5 EF Masses per Sunday in this city alone (more out of convenience than need, but the churches get more people for those than the OF Masses). From what I've seen, the practice is pretty common here, due to the same priests being all over to celebrate it. Usually, for a Missa Cantata, the congregation really belts out the responses. The ordinary is usually anemic. I can hear a few women singing along with the schola or cantor, but that's it. The usual practice here is a hymn while the priest enters before the aspersion, after Mass, and occasionally at Offertory. They are usually sung as poorly as at any other Catholic church, which is actually good since trads tend to be rather tight-lipped during Mass. I suspect that a few more generations will see more participation in the ordinaries as well. As for the dialog Mass, the congregation kind of does the "blessed murmur". Good luck figuring out if they're reciting the Kyrie or the Sanctus. The same goes for the "Domine, non sum dignus", which typically sounds like "DOMinonsumyumwatermellonwatermellon... DOMinonsumyumwatermellonwatermellon..." Again though, that's just this area. There are many places still where the congregation is silent and even rosaries make an appearance during Mass.

Pes, it's an area I've always been interested to do some research on. My point of view is based on discussing it with those who remember and going off of logic. The one constant that I've found is no one wanted to go to the High Mass because it was long. As I've mentioned before, I have my own "hermeneutic of nothing really changes", whereby I've found that the pre-Vatican II experience mirrored our own times more than we think.
  • GavinGavin
    And kudos to Steve for introducing some fine hymnody into that Low Mass. I always say, if you're going to do hymns, make sure you do the good ones.

EDIT: getting back on track, Steve (and others), a thought occurred to me as to a good resource for hymns for the EF Mass: The Hymnal 1940. The anglican (and Lutheran) one-year calendars are nearly identical to the EF calendar, so why not use those hymn suggestions where the days' readings are close or identical?
  • Gaudete (Grad. Rom.)
    Kyrie XVI
    Psalm and Alleluia verse a la OCP Respond and Acclaim
    PoF ...exaudire digneris. Te rogamus audi nos.
    Qui te expectant, Domine (Grad. Simplex)
    Sanctus XVIII
    Mortem Tuam...
    Our Father (English, chanted)
    Agnus Dei XVIII
    Gustate quam suavis Dominus (Grad. Simplex appendix)
  • Pes
    I have my own "hermeneutic of nothing really changes", whereby I've found that the pre-Vatican II experience mirrored our own times more than we think.

Heh, but this is not to say one must therefore raise one's eyes piously to heav'n and steel oneself to despair whilst on earth.

Although I was in a cafe' yesterday after the morning's Mass, and sitting next to me was a table of late fiftysomethings discussing liturgy as if they get to invent it all themselves, from scratch, every time! No wonder so many Masses sound like birthday parties and variety shows. They all derive from the same mixture of parental anxiety and modernist ennui.

I am speaking off the cuff here.

Ours is a simple schola with no pretensions. We work hard to sing well and sensitively in perfect unison, and that is nearly task enough, and very satisfying. What more does the Mass need? Well, more beauty is always good, and it surprises me how little one needs to add to the basic foundation of chant to bring the beauty out. You see, our chapel has no organ (instead, a piano and a djembe). Our choral resources are, as yet, few. But the simple descant we sang after the offertory proper came off beautifully -- we sang it with very good tuning and quickly fell into a hypnotic rhythm -- and afterwards, a woman came up to me with bright eyes and said, "WHAT did you all sing for the offertory? It was just lovely!"

Fortunately, I could say it was an adapted cantorale from a medieval manuscript in Montserrat, which seemed to puzzle her pleasantly, but the point is that we could've done no simpler non-unison singing. A drone and descant is as simple as you can get, and yet -- and yet! -- because monody was the foundation of everything, that initial split of voices into polyphony struck this woman as electrifying and beautiful.

If we do simple, beautiful things very, very well, the effect exceeds the means taken to achieve it. Less can be more. It all depends on what the steady-state, the ground-state, of the Mass's music is. Monody allows you to make small additions and generate, I believe, pretty impressive effects. Why more people don't take advantage of this is beyond me.

Being a DM in your average parish would drive me insane. I felt like telling that group of fiftysomethings, "You know, it sounds like you're having fun, but you don't have to reinvent basic agriculture. Our predecessors in the Church have provided us with a magnificent basis from which to work. It's all there, waiting for seeds to be planted in it."

Caveat: if our chapel had an organ, that would change things. The perception of what constitute the ground-state of music at the Mass would change.
  • Thank you Gavin. You are, of course, completely correct. Although ALL of the music in my printed worship aids is done by me in Finale, about 75% is directly from "The Hymnal 1940". I own several copies, and the copy I used for over 13 years at Our Lady of Walsingham resides within a few feet of the console at my church! A clue for using such "protestant" sources: know the surnames of Catholic priests who wrote hymn tunes or texts - they are in these hymnals, but you won't find "Fr." or even "Rev." linked to their names. Even "Dom" Gregory Murray has music hiding in Anlgican sources! And don't froget one of our own - SIR Richard Runciman Terry - the first Catholic musician to receive Knighthood in England since the "good ole days". He was instrumental in editing the Westminster Hymnal, and both he and Dom Gregory Maurray are well represented therein.
  • Saint Mary’s Parish, Visalia, California
    Order of Music-Dec.14, 2008
    3rd Sunday, Advent
    S/Schola; E/Ensemble

Introit Antiphon SE /Rejoice in the Lord always (American Gradual*)

Entrance: S PEOPLE, LOOK EAST (Bensançon)
    E READY THE WAY 435 (B.Hurd)

Opening Rites:S Kyrie-plainsong
    E Kyrie (New Danish Amen Mass-Culbreth)

Responsorial:SE Respond & Acclaim

Gospel Accl.:S plainsong “Alleluia”modeVI
    E Alleluia (New Danish Amen Mass-Culbreth)

Offertory: S CREATOR OF THE STARS/CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM
    E HOLY IS HIS NAME (Talbot)

Eucharistic Accl.: S Holy Family Mass (Schiavone)
    E Holy/Christ/ Amen /Lamb (New Danish Amen Mass-Culbreth)

Communion Procession: SE Antiphon: Dicite: Pusillanimes/Say to those….(American Gradual)
    SE CHRIST, CIRCLE ‘ROUND US (Schutte/Salve Regina)

Communion Anthem: S ADVENT ANTHEM (text: Rosetti/setting: D. Brooks-Davies)
    E BEYOND THE MOON AND STARS(Schutte)

Recessional:S ON JORDAN’S BANK (Winchester new)
    E MARANATHA! COME LORD JESUS (Sullivan-Whitaker)
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Gavin and Pes. It is very enlightening for me to know that the congregation is actually allowed to sing and respond in EF Mass. All the EF mass I attended was all silent in our parts, and a very few try to respond I thought was rather annoying because it breaks the silence. I thought there were strict rules against it. I don't know I'll still be brave enough to break the silence and join the singing, but it's good to know. So much to learn...
  • We have two regular EF Mass locations in this area. At my main Mass, the people do respond, either said or sung, to all but the Prayers at the Foot, and the Orate fratres at the Offertory. At the other, the congregation DOES say it all - yes, even the Prayers at the Foot! At our occasional High Masses, no matter what level of solemnity, the congregation is intended to sing all the responses with the choir. But the choir then sings the Ordinary, and a smaller group the Propers. This even includes our annual All Souls' Faure' "Requiem". I have never been to a High Mass where the congregation did not sing these responses. But, of course, it helps if they are printed in the worship aid!!!
  • CharlesW
    Entrance: "On Jordan's Bank"
    Mass Parts: "People's Mass" by Vermulst
    Offertory: "O" Antiphons sung by choir - "O Dayspring," and "O King of the nations"
    Communion: "Veni Redemptor Gentium" by Praetorius
    Communion Hymn: "Creator of the Stars of Night"
    Recessional: "Savior of the Nations, Come"
  • Our Lady of Lourdes, California City, CA

Entrance: English translation of proper Gregorian Introit (Phil 4:4-5, Ps 85:2 with Doxology); antiphon sung to Byzantine chant tone, verse and Doxology to Tone VIF

Communion (offertory omitted at pastor's request): "O Lord of Light"

Recessional: "O Come, Divine Messiah," verse 3 (verses 1 and 2 sung for 1st and 2nd Sundays of Advent, respectively)