Can anyone identify this "Regina Coeli"?
  • Allan DAllan D
    At a parish where I sometimes attend Mass, the choir has been singing this setting of "Regina Coeli" longer than anyone remembers. The only sheet music for it was hand-written by a former choir director who I believe worked there from about the 1910's to the 1960's. There is no written accompaniment; the organist just harmonizes it using D, G, and A chords. In the score, which will hopefully be attached to this post, some of the note lengths are incorrect, but the pitches are all accurate. I can't find this melody in any of my old hymnals. Any ideas about where it's from? This was originally a French-speaking parish, and the current organist described it to me as "an old French chant".
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • costanzodcostanzod
    It is by a composer named Labat. That's all I know about the composer. The version you posted is wildly inaccurate in regard to pitches and rhythms although I was able to recognize it via the G Sharp.

Here's a link to it http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Regina_coeli_(M._Labat)
    Thanked by 2Allan D Don9of11
  • ronkrisman
    It's really very beautiful!

No, it's really not.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanked by 2Allan D Don9of11
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, despite the performance (thanks RC, the CPDL didn't work on my pad), this version is the "Louie Louie" of Regina Coeli's.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • BenBen
    Sounds kinda tacky to me.
  • chonakchonak
    I'd like to find a recording of the edition we used to sing at Holy Trinity in Boston; the score indicated only the letters "S.N.D." for the composer, presumably a Sister of Notre Dame (de Namur). Failing that, I have the score at home somewhere.
  • PhatFlute
    I like the piece; not this recording
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • Allan DAllan D
    It looks like maybe our former choir director borrowed the first few measures from the Labat piece and set the entire text to that. Maybe that was the only part of it he liked, or maybe his choir back then couldn't handle the original for one reason or another. I'm not a fan of the bouncy organ accompaniment in the video. Fortunately, at the church I attend, they sing their own version in a dignified fashion.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You'll never know, dear, how much I love you, please don't my Regina Caeli away!
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    This piece can be found in the St. Basil's hymnals from 1891 to 1918. I sang this with St. Mary's Choir in Akron, Ohio back in the 1980s. There are some very nice arrangements on youtube these days.
    I think the organ registrations on this video are quite nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r2qABNWjGw

And this choir has a wonderful harmony
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czjfUvN_WNA
  • Schönbergian
    I'm sorry, but this piece is both poor-quality and (in my view) inappropriate for liturgy. We can't abhor praise & worship of the present day while giving a pass to drivel like this.
  • CatholicZ09
    That sounds awful, imho. Give me the old chant any day over this. Reminds me of a dreaded polka Mass.
  • dad29
    "Louie Louie" of Regina Coeli's.

Or maybe House of the Rising Sun.....
  • SponsaChristi
    I hear parts of “You Are My Sunshine” as well as the “Can-Can” in it and have flashbacks to the small town polka Masses of my youth. No thanks.
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 Lars
  • I honestly don't see why there is a need for these sorts of Regina Coeli settings. Just stick with the chant, Solemn or Simple. Beautiful, dignified, and easily singable (simple tone).
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    I honestly don't see why there is a need for these sorts of Regina Coeli settings. Just stick with the chant, Solemn or Simple. Beautiful, dignified, and easily singable (simple tone).

Like this one?

Sorry for the karate-chop Alleluias. What’s life if you aren’t always growing as a conductor (this was six years ago... I was 23)?

I’ve always thought it was the same reason the Byzantines have a million settings of The Angel Cried and the Paschal Tropar... so you can sing it often throughout Eastertide with much variety. Also because cheery settings in more modern styles resonate with some of the festive mood.

Although not this „You Are My Sunshine“ setting, please... there was an article I read years ago from the 19th century on the music at Brompton during Mr Wm. Pitts‘ tenure as organist. The Anglican author indicated how, as far as he could tell, Catholic composers conceived of the organ as a large banjo. Well, this Labat thing is clearly Exhibit A.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen sdtalley3
  • Schönbergian
    If a jubilant Regina is desired, use one of the Mozart settings of infinitely better craft. The Labat setting is simply embarrassing.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    I‘m definitely not a fan of this style of Regina Coeli, it’s music along this venue of style that makes me think of carnival music, and it’s also been one of my motivations to compose initially, as my home town parish had similar style songs (Like Alleluia Let the Holy Anthem Rise)...I never cared for such music, but that’s just my take on it.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I think most of you have got it backwards, the hymn melody predates the song by 40 years or so, any possible relationship of melodies is just a coincident. Also, the original post was looking for the hymns origins and what hymnals to find it in. Anything short of this is off topic (IMHO).