Corpus Christi Sequence chant in english?
  • Does anyone know of a setting for the Corpus Christi Sequence (LAUDA SION SALVATOREM ) english translation, manageable for a very young choir (ages 5 -12). I tried setting it to Jesu Dulce Memoria as they know this very well, but I can't get it right. Any suggestions? Thanks a million!
  • GavinGavin
    If you can get a copy of the Hymnal 1982 (the Episcopalian hymnal), it has the original tune with a full English translation under "Zion, Praise Thy Savior".
  • The Episcopalian version (320 in 1982 hymnal, 193 and 194 in the 1940) has only about half of the verses of the sequence. I have used it anyway, despite being a stickler for rules, because it is very singable and within the reach of virtually any group of singers. But others might have reservations, especially considering that "[t]he problem of reconciling Aquinas' dogma with that of the Anglican Communion makes any translation beyond mere paraphrase impossibe. The problem thus is one of recapturing the spirit of the original, while forsaking the exact meaning." (The Hymnal 1940 Companion, 3d rev ed, p139)
  • GavinGavin
    thank you Joseph, I wasn't aware of that. I would then recommend the translation in the New English Hymnal, which I understand to be complete. I merely suggested The Hymnal because it is probably more readily available to 11schweitzers. Alternatively, it is also allowed (I think) to do the final two verses of the sequence, the "ecce panis angelorum".
  • I have a complete English translation set to square notes. Hymnals 1940 & 1982, as noted above, do not have all the stanzas, whereas this one, found at no. 134 in A Plainsong Hymnbook, edited by Sir Sydney H. Nicholson (1932) under the auspices of Hymns A & M, does. It is a translation both complete and correct. The langauge lacks the grace of that in The Hymnal 1940, but makes up for it in reverence to Aquinas' text. If you wish to send your address here or via e-mail I should be glad to send you a copy.
  • Thank you all for your help. Yes, Gavin, we normally use only the final two verses (spoken only). As for resources, I am very limited as I am in a small isolated community on the west coast of B.C. I would welcome anything that could be sent via email (finnegansfamily AT shaw.ca). I would also like to mention that I am struggling to introduce sacred music to children in a parish where praise and worship music has been the norm for decades. Although my pastor is very supportive in this regard, I am just a volunteer with a love of liturgy, but no formal training other than piano. The task has fallen to me simply because no one else is interested. Thus, any suggestions any of you may have in terms of what I should introduce first, I'd be so very grateful. The children are young but keen and grasp things quickly. I have permission to use a latin mass setting once a month when the children are ready and thought I should try the Missa Primitiva. Is this a good choice? (I'm also new at forums. Perhaps I should begin a new post for this? )
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    I added repaired those deleted verses . verses 15 and 16 are modified from the original melody. http://gregorianchant.weebly.com/corpus-christi-sequence.html square and modern notation
    Thanked by 1John B
  • John B
    Good job with this. I like it - verses 19-20 appear to have been blipped out. Thanks
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • John B
    Oh, yes, the last line of verse 22 was also missing! Hope this helps. I plan to use it at my 7 AM Sunday Mass, with the additions that I worked in.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    I prefer this text's simplicity and rhyme for catecetichal reasons: because it is the one that appears in on congregations " Missalette," all can easily follow along. The text and melody are always a challenge and opportunity for revision,

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    Just wanted to bump this for this year. Thanks for the Gregorio instructions, Ralph, although I think I am going to have to do this in modern notation this year.
  • Are we not required to use the translation/version that's given in the lectionary? As noted in another thread, this presents problems for singing it to the historical XIIth century melody. The inept and rather thoughtless persons responsible for the lectionary's version simply hacked off the final syllables of some historical verb forms, leaving the text with too few syllables in some of the stanzas, not to mention that it sounds rather clumsy and unnatural. It would have been better had they commisioned a poet to compose a new translation in the correct metre. But, alas... they didn't.

I intend to sing it with the missing verb syllables restored so that it will fit the tune. Attached is the restored version, to which any who wish may write in the neumes and use. It sounds a little odd without the corresponding historical pronouns, but at least the metre is restored. It is interesting (and odd) that they mutilated verbs such as 'knowest' but left 'doth' in one of the stanzas. All the stanzas should be metred 887, except for 21-22, which are 8887, and 23-24, which are 88887.

Not that we could sing it, because it wouldn't be the same as in the lectionary, but it would be interesting to see what some of our wordsmiths (Kathy, are you reading this?) would offer for a new translation in consistent language that wasn't botched so amateurishly as that we have to work with.
  • BruceL
    Here's a version I did today in modern notation with the lectionary translation of the sequence. My text pointing is slightly different than Adam Bartlett's, mostly in that I don't worry about monosyllable/English accent issues at ends of phrases, etc. I also have MUS (Finale 2011) and TIFF files (those formats can't be used on here for attachments, apparently) if you want to PM me with your email address. Cheers!

• @BruceL ¡Awesome!
  • BruceL
    Update: rector wanted italics so it stood out better. I'm not sold, but in the interest of a multitude of options....The weird end of vss. 1 & 2 is because it eliminated a page turn backwards in our order of worship.
  • davido
    Bruce, could you supply your edition of this sequence in Music XML?