email and the devil...
  • At a much earlier time in my life, prior to my involvement with Moller Pipe Organs, I was associated with a builder of church organs. And many people have begun to refer to that company as being from the dark-side, in what I thought was a humorous way....

I sent an email to an organ list, mentioned this list as source of great information about the renewal of the liturgy and interest in the organ and just got this email from a person who joined the company after I was no longer involved, and has been involved in that company for many years and whose name is known to many of us:

"Makes sense to me....a denomination that still believes in archaic Chirstian writings, myths, edicts, Papal dreams and eccentricities NOT ALSO return to only archaic music."

I was absolutely floored.

Prayers to St. Michael for this person and all that he has influence over.
  • GavinGavin
    Wow. People are hostile to Catholicism. I'm floored too, especially since I'm in a secular university. I've never run into anything like that here.

Oops, did I forget my [sarcasm] tag? Actually my music history prof is a non-Christian, and rather universalist at that. And she loves chant. And attends Mass every Sunday in Polish, because she loves not knowing the language. It's really fascinating to talk to her, since she advocates for much of the same stuff that most of us here do, but from an unbelieving perspective. I've been trying to get her to attend the local EF Masses, which I'm sure she'd find heavenly without the priest facing her or congregational singing (which she also despises).

Back to Noel's friend, it reminds me of reading Deepak Chopra yesterday. He said of Our Lord something to the effect of, "instead of listening to the message, these fundamentalists worship the messenger." Ummm... what? At least Noel's friend is clear where he stands, unlike Chopra passing his blasphemous New Age baloney off as religion.
  • You betcha people are hostile to Catholicism. The secular society hates our absolutism, our history of persecuting groups that disagreed with the Church, and our so-called misogyny. Bible fundamentalists call us idolaters and "unsaved". Yeah, it's out there all right. It's tough to be the oldest Christian denomination, but Truth tends to last and, if we were all that wrong, our Church would have emptied out by now.
  • It's always good to remember: “Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

or, even better:

“I have said all this to you to keep you from falling away. They will put you out of the synagogues; indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. And they will do this because they have not known the Father, nor me. But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you of them.”