Alexander Peloquin Papers
  • mjballoumjballou
    Before I start the required phone calls, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows if C. Alexander Peloquin's papers and manuscripts are on deposit somewhere.

My first guess is Boston College because of his long tenure there.

Can any musicologically-minded New Englanders help?
  • OlbashOlbash
    What fascinates you about Peloquin?

In any case, you might check out the Boston Chapter AGO organ library held at Boston University (http://www.organlibrary.org/)

Meanwhile, if I can do any grunt work for you, just ask. I live about halfway between Boston and Providence.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Peloquin was commissioned to write a Mass for the dedication of the Cathedral in St. Augustine in 1966. Major renovations were done to the Cathedral in honor of the 400th anniversary of the city's founding. His "Fiesta Mass" was performed by a combination of forces. P. brought 25 men from Boston College; Barry College in Miami supplied 20 women. Then there was a mob of local singers drawn from the Catholic high school - and probably just about anyone else in town.

I'm writing an article about this event. Interestingly, the Mass was in English, celebrated "ad populum," and covered in detail by the diocesan paper, Florida Catholic. And Peloquin offered interviews, etc. with his views on the bright future of church music ahead.

The score that I have has only the treble parts. And of course, I haven't heard the work. It was recorded and the Historical Society here has a copy. Of course, they don't have a turntable.

Anyway, I'd like to know where his papers are to see a full score and if there's any surviving correspondence. If needed, of course, I could combine my research with a visit to the finer liturgical hotspots of Boston/Providence and seeing dear acquaintances.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Oh, there's not much good going on around here liturgically. There are a few decent places where you don't have to hold your nose and grit your teeth during Mass, but nothing particularly well done.

Have you talked to Brian Michael Page yet? I seem to recall that he had an interest in C.A.P.
  • mjballoumjballou
    That's a good idea, Michael. I think he operates up in CAP's old stomping grounds.
  • ghmus7
    Peloquin really had a great vision. He tried to really understand what Vat II was attempting and to implement it with quality music. it's too bad you don't hear much of it today, but much of it is finley crafted and works beautifully in the liturgy My Fav. is "Lord Send out Your Spirit", Which ends on a wonderful brazen dissonant chord!
  • incantuincantu
    I'm not familiar with his "Fiesta Mass," but I hear his "Missa Pinata" is always a hit.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Incantu, that's a shameless pun. But your concert program at Notre Dame des Victoires excuses you.
  • WGS
    Whenever I hear of Alexander Peloquin, I think of my first choir director. He refused to use the Grosser Gott popular version of Holy God, We Praise Thy Name, because he objected to those extra notes the congregation would put in. Instead, we always sang the TTBB version from Peloquin's Four Choral Processionals (WLSM-1955). In fact, to this day, that's the tune that sticks in my mind for that hymn. We also sang the quite modern TTB Blessed Be Our God from the same collection. Years later, I was pleased to get Mr. Peloquin's autograph on my copy of his Four Choral Processionals.