What is the name of this Eucharistic Prayer tone?
  • ncarbone93
    What is the name of this tone? I was told it was a Gelineau psalm tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_D2qizmGk
  • ScottKChicago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't understand what is going on in this video.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • BenBen
    In the YouTube comments, the celebrant explains that it is "based on" a Gelineau tone.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm with Wood.
  • Paul_D
    The psalm tone is (c) Fr. Stephen Somerville (who I think would be perturbed by its use as illustrated.)
  • Paul_D
    The celebrant in the video seems to be the harpist in a related video. Very pleasant playing. We should have more harp-playing priests.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jvaZbJejJ0
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ncarbone93
    This priest has done nothing wrong. That's not what I even asked in the first place. All I wanted to know was the name of this setting/tone.
  • Is the "assembly antiphon" during the Eucharistic prayer a thing? It seems odd that he says "the mystery of faith" and the people respond "alleluia" where the mystery of faith is usually sung? Am I missing something, besides the fact that he's reading from something other than a missal?
  • BenBen
    This priest has done nothing wrong.

Sorry, but that's simply false. Just off the top of my head (there may be more)...

1) The addition of the congregation's alleluia, which is not found in the Roman Missal, the omission of the proper memorial acclamation, and the omission of the "amen" at the end.

Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority. Sacrosanctum Concilium no. 22.3

2) Organ accompaniment

While the Priest proclaims the Eucharistic Prayer “there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent”, except for the people’s acclamations that have been duly approved, as described below. Redemptonis Sacramentum, no. 53

• Paul_D
    Yes, he should not muck around with the Eucharistic Prayer. (-1) But he plays the harp! (+2). I enjoyed his recital. It was 10 minutes of peace in the middle of my day.

The Somerville tone can be found in volume 1 or 2 of his Psalms for Singing (WLP 1961 & 1969); or in the Catholic Book of Worship III (CCCB 1994).

Hope you find this useful. Your questions do get answered here, but often with a lively exchange. Embrace it! That's a nice thing about this blog -- you always get more than you ask for.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    I'd suggest that this discussion be deleted. Here we have a priest who is a fellow musician, who is singing the Mass, and the question was asked and answered.

I'd rate him very high compared to the majority of priests today.

He's quite possibly total unaware that he is not following the exact instructions - but he's head and shoulders above many. It's not the fault of the priest when they have not been taught and exposed to liturgy as it is desired to the celebrated by the GIRM.

The rest of the conversation may be damaging to the priest and to our forum - remember, every word we type is immediately available across the web through GOOGLE.COM.

Moderators,it's your call. I'm confident that the initial post was an honest request for identification of the music.
  • ncarbone93
    You people are nuts! This is the problem with the Church today. I go to seminarians with guys like you that are so damn theologically conservative. Pope Francis said himself that today's seminarians and new priests are turning into "little monsters" Thank you so much Paul_D for actually answering my question.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • JahazaJahaza
    I hardly see theological conservatism expressed in this thread.

Adam Wood, who writes above, "I don't understand what is going on in this video," has, in fact, quite publicly proclaimed his theological liberalism.

What you're seeing is liturgical conservatism, which can be related, but doesn't have to be.

Pope Francis said himself that today's seminarians and new priests are turning into "little monsters"

I think you've missed the point of his words... besides, I think you are the only seminarian commenting in the thread.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam Wood, who writes above, "I don't understand what is going on in this video," has, in fact, quite publicly proclaimed his theologoical liberalism.

An addendum to the article linked to above:

I don't support the proliferation and teaching of heresy. My disagreements with the Church are my own to work out with God and my confessor(s).

I only bring up those opinions of my own from time to time publicly specifically because I want to make clear that my adherence (more or less) to liturgical orthopraxis and rubricism is not (as is usually imagined by liberals and progressives) some kind of neo-con Ultramontanism or uber-traddishness.

I consider the received tradition of the Church, as expressed in the relevant liturgical books and legislation, to be an inspired part of the deposit of faith, and I pray that by forming ourselves (myself) to that tradition, in humility, that our (my) disagreements and errors will be purged away and corrected.

Heresy is not a sin because it's immoral to be wrong; heresy is a sin because it is prideful to say that one knows better than the Church, that one is above the teaching authority of the Apostles. That same pride is the root of liturgical laxity, thinking that one knows which words and rubrics one should follow and which ones can be ignored.
  • ncarbone93
    Jahaza, I understood The Holy Father's words just fine, thank you. I asked a question and eventually I did get an answer thanks to Paul.
    [...] [edited by admin]
  • chonakchonak
    There was some sort of refrain practice in the Eucharistic Prayers for Masses with Children, wasn't there? I don't have a copy of that here, so I can't be sure. But prescinding from that:

This is not even about liturgical conservatism. It's just about basic obedience to the GIRM which the bishops and the Pope have given us.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • JahazaJahaza
    I asked a question and eventually I did get an answer thanks to Paul.

You got an answer not only because Paul posted one, but also because a community of people have gathered together here in a common task and a common cause. You get a community of practice, not a rote question answering service.
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, ncarbone93, I'm going to assume that you haven't taken the time to read the forum guidelines for participation, so let me quote from them here:

• Be Polite
      This is the most important guideline. We will not tolerate any abusive, insulting, hostile, or threatening posts about anything or anyone. We will quite swiftly delete any such post and ban the offending user. Using only all capital letters in your posts is considered extremely rude by every "netiquette" standard we've ever seen. It is akin to shouting at people.
    • Avoid Flames
      Every now and then, you may be tempted to add fuel to a heated topic by escalating the anger. Think twice and check yourself. In the event your post is not pulled, it will remain available for everyone to see, for a long time. Criticize arguments, not people.
    • Do Not Defame
      Members may not level insinuations of heresy, bad faith, or criminality against members; members should also avoid such inflammatory language against non-members.

--admin
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • ncarbone93
    [Message deleted by admin.]
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Is this person really a seminarian? rude, crude, and with an entitled 'tude.

He's banned.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
  • GavinGavin
    Priests are labeled by the papacy which inspired them to enter seminary. For example, we all know (and fear) the Pope Paul generation of priests. The John Paul generation was much more conservative on doctrine. The Benedict generation is just stellar.

I submit that we have just gotten a glimpse at the Francis generation of priests. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • kenstb
    I hadn't looked at this thread until just now. My goodness!! Ben, there's an old proverb that says: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear". That seminarian is clearly not ready.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    He asked a question.

He got an answer along with a ton of information that caused him to label us just as some of us labeled him.

Criticizing a priest, disagreements members have with the church, bringing up heresy, a public proclamation of theological liberalism, all disguised as a community of people have gathered together here in a common task and a common cause. You get a community of practice, not a rote question answering service.

What is the name of this tone?

It's by ______________. As you have noticed, this is not a tone that the eucharistic prayer is sung to. There are some other issues here that are not in line with the GIRM.

Priests are to follow the GIRM. But we are not able to judge a person who does not follow it - he may have been taught in seminary - or even attended Masses in seminary where these things were done. He may have even attended or participated in clown Masses! (thank goodness he is not wearing a red nose and floppy shoes)

As a seminarian you are going to learn about the GIRM and you are sure to run into situations where things are not done as they should be. It's a real challenge to figure out what to do when this happens. Some seminarians have been known to carry the GIRM with them when they visit parishes.

Is a person sinning, or going to Hell because they refuse to follow the GIRM when they say Mass? Do we have an obligation or a right to criticize them or do we just pray for them?

What is the kind thing to do. As the Baptists say, What Would Jesus Do?
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, but.

The posts above weren't in the mode of "what the h--- is that idiot doing?"

They were pretty much fact-based and not overwrought, unlike the original poster, who seemed to resent anyone stating the obvious truth about that video clip.
  • Paul_D
    Well, I still wish we had more harp-playing priests.

[Note to self: must get around to writing that fantasia for harp with serpent obbligato.]
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Wow...who's the "little monster" in this thread?

Thanked by 1Ben
  • PhatFlute
    Name of tone? Name it Bill, Fredd, Chucky, Harry Potter, Pickles, Chonak, Ladasha, Isaiaiah, or Phát! :)