Winter Issue of Sacred Music

The Winter 2008 issue of Sacred Music is going to print, and it has turned out to be one of the best I can remember. William Mahrt opens the issue with a detailed and compelling argument for the existence of sacred music - a point which you might not think is necessary except for the vast literature that attempts to debunk the idea that there is any real distinction between the sacred and secular in art.

He speaks of the relationship between the two forms by revisiting the history of the chasuble, which was a normal outer garment in Roman times and later became obsolete but for religious use. "In the process of sacralization of the garment," he writes, "it takes on more sacred characteristics: its form becomes more ample, the materials chosen for it become more precious (traditionally silk), and it takes on sacred symbols. This is, then, a matter of the evolution of a gradual reception, a transformation of something secular into something unambiguously sacred."

In music, the transformation of elements of our ordinary world conveys the message that our ordinary lives can also be transformed. The hitch is: what if the incorporation of music into the liturgy does not involve a discernible transformation? What if the use of styles clearly identifiable with worldly and secular purposes retain their identity in liturgical use? Is the message, then, that there is no transformation? that the secular life-styles are all that there is? I would contend that this is the danger of the present use of secular styles, since the instruments they use, their vocal styling, their simplistic musical construction all retain their secular identity. Rather, it is crucial that whatever musical styles are used in the liturgy, there be clear elements of their sacralization, that their incorporation is unambiguously for the sake of transformation into something sacred.

Michael Lawrence addresses a fundamental issue with an issue that in its brevity and clarity is one of the most powerful cases I've seen for why we need to care about music at Mass at all. "What happened during so many events of salvation history? Singing. Miriam sang on the shores of the Red Sea after the Exodus. David sang the psalms in the temple. There was Hannah’s Song, which foreshadowed Mary’s Magnificat which was sung at her Visitation. The Angels sang at the birth of Christ, and the Book of Apocalypse depicts the singing in the heavenly liturgy. Christ and his apostles sang a hymn at the Last Supper, and, though this observation may be a bit unconventional, Christ, while he did not sing, 'cried out' on the cross the words of Psalm 22: 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?' If music has had such an intimate relationship with salvation history, then why should it not have an equally intimate relationship with the Mass?"

I wish I could go through each piece. Martin Baker offers a detailed essay of the experience of the choir at Westminster Cathededral. The Lectern in Liturgical Culture is discussed by Miklós István Földváry. Jeffrey Ostrowski offers a brilliant analysis of the Vatican Gradual and proves, beyond any doubt, that this is a rhythmic edition, and he shows how to read it (William Mahrt commented to me that this is one of the best essays he has ever seen on this topic). Aristotle Esguerra provides a rich and well-cited argument for why composers should be setting propers (following the model of William Byrd).

We are not even halfway through the issue. There is commentary on beauty by Fr. Robert Johansen, a tribute to Msgr. Schuler by William Sanderson, a guide to preserving your choir's history by Mary Jane Ballou, a homily by Richard Cipolla on Leisure and Liturgy, and two excellent repertory pieces: Br. Jonathan Ryan on Messiaen, and Jennifer Snodgrass and her students on John Taverner's Tyger and the Lamb. I have a piece on the difficulties confronting the current generation of chanters, and Kurt Poterack writes on his experiences dealing with students who never encountered chant before. Finally, there are several workshop reports.

Incredibly, no one involved in putting this this journal together is paid specifically to do this. In times when print journals are collapsing all around, it is something spectacular that this one is going strong. You can subscribe today and receive this issue when it comes off the presses.
  • Looking forward to it!
  • My copy came yesterday. Has anyone else received his or hers? I'm so very pleased to have this material in this format. With all the blogs and forums and emails and news and so much digital stuff flying everywhere, sometimes we might wonder what the point of a printed publication is. this issue makes me realize that it is more of a luxury today than ever before. The typesetting is beautiful. The illustrations and musical samples are great. The editing alone is a value added: online you have to sort of look at 100 pieces of nothing data to find 1 that is useful. But here we have it all put together in a wonderful way. Also, there is something about print and hardcopy that settles the mind and heart. I also like the fact that anyone can just hand this publication to another person and say, here is something wonderful about church music. No sending links and hoping for a click etc.

In the end, there is just no substitute for a printed journal.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Jeffrey...you "get a copy?" Don't you, like, write it?
    anyhow, I'm also looking forward to it!
  • No, actually I don't do much. I sort of assemble stuff but others do the choosing, proofing, typesetting, mailing, etc. So it is always a treat to receive a copy.
  • francis
    ahhhhhhhhh! my subscription has lapsed. Mea Culpa! I have got to get back on the list.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Got mine over the weekend. Whoopee. It is really good. Of the issues I have received, this one is probably the best. (I have only been a member a year).

Kevin
  • mjballoumjballou
    This is an issue of "comfort and joy."

With pieces by William Mahrt and the late Mary Berry, we hear from the stalwarts of the sacred music movement, likewise with the tribute to Msgr. Schuler. An article on John Tavener shows that we're interested in more than dead composers, while Aristotle Esguerra encouraging the living to step up to the plate. There are encouraging thoughts, opportunities for learning some history, and inspiration to take our own work a step higher.

Of course, my choir history article tells you something to do: take a Christmas picture of your choir, print it out, date it and write the names on the back and save it with your Christmas Eve/Day programs and concert materials. And don't forget to get in the picture yourself!

Kudos again to Dr. Mahrt, the indefagitable Jeffrey Tucker, all the authors, and especially the readers (without whom there would be no journal at all).
  • I'm so glad that you like it! Overall I really do think this is the best issue I've seen yet.

You didn't mention Ostrowski's piece, which actually explains how to sing from the Vatican Gradual! A revelation to me.

Mahrt worked extremely long hours on this issue.
  • I have also been a member for one year, and this is the best issue by far. Keep up the great work!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I wish mine would arrive. The mail here in Corpus Christi stinks
  • Got mine in S Florida yesterday. Looks good! Wish I had time to read it, but exams must be graded...
  • Mine arrived in Virginia yesterday as well. I started reading from the back ;-)
  • VickiW
    Got mine in Virginia yesterday, too. Ummm, even smells nice. Won't have time to dig into it until the weekend, though.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    can't wait to get mine
  • IanWIanW
    Got mine in the UK yesterday. I'd be willing to wait a bit longer if it kept your international post charges down.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Curled up with Jeff O's article on the Vatican Gradual last night. I plan to print out a page and hold it up next to my nose later today.
  • IanW, I'm just glad it arrived! I'm rather clueless about this mailing stuff, dealing with the postal bureau and what not. I just end up yelling at them: get the journal out fast and make it so that it arrives in the right places!!! I can hardly keep at the various rates stuff in my mind. I do know that we moved from one class of delivery to another by signing some sworn statement about something or other and hopping around on one foot for 7.1 minutes or whatever it is they require.

Anyway, I like I say, it's just great that it gets there at all!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Haha! Good one, Mjballou --- yes, if you print out the pages of the 1908 Vatican Graduale that Jeffrey Tucker has made available online on musicasacra.com, it is true that you have to place the bottom of the page near your nose and gaze outward in certain spots if you want to know where to hold ---- or you can just mark in a dot, like Johner!!!
  • IanWIanW
    Jeffrey,

Just to clarify - my concern was for the CMAA's costs. I'm very pleased to have it, and that right quickly.
  • CharlesW
    It came yesterday. I will read it this weekend.
  • Yes, IanW, and we've often thought of having a much higher international rate but it seems cleaner to just have one membership rate. In any case, the membership rate doesn't come anywhere near covering the costs of production, and that's just the way it has to be. It's a beautiful journal, and we are all very confident that things will work out so long as our movement is growing and musica sacra is making progress. If we stop moving forward, we die.
  • I've had two reports of defective issues. Write if there is any problem with yours.
  • eft94530eft94530
    My copy arrived on Mon Dec 22 afternoon.
    Thank you for this much anticipated Christmas present!