Questions for interviewing an organist
  • eft94530eft94530
    francis: If they use the pedals,

If they use heels and toes of left and right feet to play the pedals,
  • kenstb
    Francis, you are spot on. I would, however slightly alter some of your points on a few issues. Perhaps the better question would be to ask them to demonstrate the proper use of the pedals. A poorly trained organist can damage your instrument very quickly.

Also, I would not ask whether a person agrees with everything in the church documents on sacred music. I think that most truly thoughtful people disagree with many things that they read. Personal agreement is not always necessary to do a good job. The more important point I think is that they are familiar with the documents and that whatever agreement or disagreement they have will not affect their work.

I would also ask whether the musician is prepared to compose when the need arises.
  • A poorly trained organist can damage your instrument very quickly.

?
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I'm thinking that has something to do with people kicking the pedals too hard and not depressing them properly. Also applies to smacking the keys on the manuals. However, as I understand it, you should be able to stand on the pedals of your organ: that's how resilient they should be, although it may not be that way everywhere, but that's what I was told by one organ builder.
  • kevinfkevinf
    And while we are talking about organists, I have often thought the Parisian method for hiring an organist was good. You play the liturgy, are asked to accompany and improvise. Why hire someone who cannot do all of those? Of course, some questions on administrative matters help, but playing is where it is at.
  • CharlesW
    I do about zero improvisation. It's been long enough that I am not comfortable with it any more. In our masses, there is not much opportunity for it so I play standard organ literature. Many who improvise seem to do it with dissonance and discord to the degree that it is barely listenable. Maybe it is a good way to get the congregation to leave when the mass ends. LOL.

Before I was hired for the job I have held for a number of years, I was asked to come play for a specific mass for a few Sundays. The administration and I were able to get to know each better, and get an idea of how each of us would work together.

• BruceL
    Kevin, I hate to bump, but here in the Deep South, it's hard to find people that know the Roman liturgy well. I expect this will be an issue with our assistant position.
  • kevinfkevinf
    @Bruce. Yes, I agree, it is hard. We are mission territory in the South. FBI's and all.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Just for a reference for those in the future, this is the final list of questions we used. The organists we've interviewed so far have been really happy to be asked the questions and to see thoughtfulness from the church, and we've had some really fantastic conversations led by these.

Goals
    - How do you see the role of an organist in church music? Describe the functions he/she serves.
    - What traits set apart a good organist and a bad one?
    - What single project or task would you consider your most significant accomplishment in your career to date?
    - What are your professional goals for the next few years?

Repertoire
    - What is some of your favorite repertoire for preludes, postludes, and choral anthems?

Relationships
    - Tell us about a time when your opinion conflicted with the pastor’s or the music director’s opinion. How did you navigate that?
    - Give me an example of critical feedback or guidance you received on your work quality. How did you apply it?
    - What leadership qualities do you like to see in a music director? In a pastor?
    - What are the aspects of a church music program that are essential in making you feel supported as an organist?
    - Describe a situation where you over committed your time – what happened?
    - Have you ever been verbally attacked by someone unreasonably? A volunteer, a colleague, whomever. How did you handle it?

Thanks for the help and feedback.
  • ghmus7
    1. Are you able to accept that the contract we give you only states what we normally expect? That is, you will be resposible fir 5-8 masses each weekend, you will have no time off on weekends like everyone in church! 2..Are you able to accept all the extra work will never be in writing the extra 30 extra hours per week, the extra masses, quincineras weddings, confirmations, Advent lessons and Carols.. lenten and advent penance sevices...choir and cantor rehearsals.3. We have organ that was installed in 1901, and it needs some work....will you be able tokeep the instrumenf going? meetings with brides, you said something about concerts?