English Antiphons for Holy Thursday Tenebrae
  • SMR
    Does anyone have, or know where I could find, an English translation of the antiphons for Tenebrae of Holy Thursday set to the traditional melodies? Thanks!
  • I have editions done by Palmer and Burgess, but they are long out of print. It is possible that you could access them on the internet if this has been done. I could post them here as others have done, but don't really know how to do that.
    Thanked by 1Simon
  • Simon
    There was an earlier thread related to this that pointed to a downloadable copy of Tenebrae Matins on the website of St. Mary's Press in Wantage (UK).

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/957/palmerburgess-gradual/p1

Link to the download appears removed.
  • rich_enough
    The English Tenebrae available from St. John Cantius includes antiphons in Gregorian chant style. They do not appear to be based on the corresponding antiphons in the Latin Tenebrae, however.
  • Simon
    The Order of Tenebrae, or, Mattins and Lauds of the last three days of Holy Week : from the Salisbury antiphoner / translated into English and adapted to the original musick-note by the Rev. G.H. Palmer. That's the title of the book. Published in 1956 by St. Mary's Press. I saw a copy for sale on Abebooks yesterday. Or, maybe the nuns at St. Mary's Wantage (if they still exist) could be persuaded to put it online again. Doubt if a reprint would be commercially attractive.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Simon
    Just checked Abebooks again - and it's gone!
  • Simon
    Found a copy in a dusty corner of my own library! Must have bought it over 30 years ago. Forgotten all about it. Here's Maundy Thursday.
  • SFGall
    Simon, I would be interested in seeing the content of the remainder of this book (i.e. the Friday and Saturday Order of Tenebrae by G H Palmer.) You don't happen to have those pages scanned, would you?
    Thanked by 1jchthys
  • jchthys
    I finally found a scan of this! Here it is: Palmer, Order of Tenebrae.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen GerardH