A basic choir repertoire • 10 Anthems in English and/or 10 Motets in Latin - Your Opinion
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    YMMV
  • Liam
    As in: Yo Mama, Mein Vater.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    KLS, did you move to Colorado?
  • Liam
    No. But my brother started pot at the age of 14 in 1966 and didn't quit until 2008, and I observed much. Being a synaesthete myself, pot and hashish never did a thing for me (as my brother was also a dealer for many years, I could have whatever I wanted if I wanted. But I didn't want. My brother is a dealer; I shall not want.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It's been interesting my whole life, having grown up in Oakland. Everyone's assumed because of that and my exuberant personality that I experimented during the 60's with substances, but I never tried anything! I'm just naturally bonkers!
  • CharlesW
    I can't blame my craziness on any chemical substances. I am allergic to most of them, along with more naturally occurring items like dust, cats, pollens, and the list goes on. So whatever they do in Colorado will never be of any benefit to me unless one of my mutual funds starts investing in it.
  • Some folks ought to consider moving to Colorado. ASAP.

I have no idea what this means, but I am sure that, if I did, I would like it.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • G
    I have no idea what this means, but I am sure that, if I did, I would like it.

I was utterly flummoxed until Liam answered Mellow. Now I believe I understand that someone was suggesting someone had to be stoned to denounce various widely loved anthems.
    And then of course there's Adam...
    (Am I even close?)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    D.E.M.A. Adam:

Please include the Victoria Ave Maria too.

Respectfully,
    S.G.O.T.I.

As to 'universal approbation', Handel said it best: "For we like sheep..."
  • Carl DCarl D
    Some of us are Colorado natives. And not necessarily pleased to be leading the country in this area.

Brilliant memo, Adam.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    We don't criticize Colorado, children, it's just different, not worse.
  • Kathy
    As long as the thread is drifting,

What percentage of popular music in the second half of the 20th century was written under the influence? And how can I make that an argument for the propers?
  • It is very easy for live composers to criticize dead composers, because they cannot talk back.

But we can speak for them.

It does not speak well of a living composer who denigrates works that have stood the test of time.

A stoned choir is a mellow choir.
  • Liam
    Mellow Charles was just reacting to my surrealist take on the YMMV tetragrammaton.
  • G
    What percentage of popular music in the second half of the 20th century was written under the influence? And how can I make that an argument for the propers?
    I'm usually speaking metaphorically, but LOL.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    BTW, it's "All we like sheep."
    Of course, YMMV.
    And to be precise and in tune, my suggestion was for anyone whose britches are a skosh too tight.
    Kathy, whenever you have occasion to direct a schola from the other side of the Communion rail, everybody wear Hawaiian shirts and chant "All are welcome (Introit)," "Sing a nuchurch (Presentation, ahem, Offertorio)," and "Song of the Body of Christ (Communio.)" Let your chanting do the walking. The Walking Dead.
  • Has there yet been mention of Tye “Give almes of thy goods”? It’s pretty easy polyphony, and the text … heh, kinda speaks for itself. :)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    It does not speak well of a living composer ...

Actually a composer who has been 400+ years in paradise is surely indifferent to anything we say. On the other hand, you can do harm to living composers and other people with your words. (Hem, think "barbershop", which still gets me steamed.) So I, for one, try, not always successfully, I admit, to say nothing or something constructive.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    barbershop

I originally meant it as a compliment.

Also, regarding all later communication: I only make fun of people I like.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Renewing this thread. Quoting two sentences from Liam:

oldest English-language American-anthem in the continuous repertoire (yes, that's a mouthful): William Billing's "I Am The Rose of Sharon".

Ave Verum Corpus: Byrd (above all other settings, even Mozart), Mozart, Saint Saens, Elga

Yes! The Billings does not get enough attention. No! The Byrd, while wonderful, and perhaps better than the Mozart, is not as good as the Josquin a5 setting, the best I know.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Just stumbled across something that happens to fit Noel's requirements: OUP published Ten Four-part Motets for the Church Year by Palestrina, ed. A. Harman:

Ave Maria
    Dies sanctificatus
    Tribus miraculis
    Ad te levavi oculos meos
    Nos autem gloriari oportet
    Haec dies quam fecit Domini
    O Rex gloriae
    Loquebantur variis Apostoli
    Benedicta sit Sancta Trinitas
    Salvator mundi

...not one of which I would be tempted to skip. I doubt you'd save money over cpdl, but the accompanying English versions are non-pd added value, if you need to use them. The omission of Sicut cervus is kind of canny, since most customers probably already have it.