My priest opposes Latin hymns and sung propers. Advice?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh but Geri, I was: genteel, gorgeous and gracious.
    In your remarks to Noel I noticed yet another encumbrance upon the hearts of many a clergyman. That would be the "troubles" some have in how they respectively deal with genders among equals. But that's another thread.
  • @G

Pax!

Thanks to the Lord,
    It is my older brother who teach me about that, the number one question is 'why you want to sing in the Church' . If I want to make myself only shine, Lord will never allow that, because He love us and not leave us into prideful act.

for singing and praying in Latin, it is always questioning to myself. "Why?"
    "yes this is cool, but it will be vain reason", in my opinion, it is beautiful.
    It is like woman in Mat 26:7 , "we bring the most expensive, the most difficult, the most beautiful to the Lord"

:D
    Thanked by 3CharlesW irishtenor G
  • Augustine of Hippo had similar anxiety about beauty and vanity. He wondered if he was sinning because he loved the beauty of song but was concerned that this was competition for the beauty and meaning of the words themselves. For me, I have always found that the singing of sacred texts only magnified their message, raised them to a higher existential plane. Loving true beauty is loving God, because it is, ultimately, his creation for our benefit. A proper love of beauty is an endowment with which he has adorned us, and is one of many spiritual categories that makes us whole. Like all endowments, we must exercise it judiciously and thankfully.

Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    At the Cathedral here we do music differently (yet similarly) at every Mass (7) per weekend. This requires 3 worship aids (Main English, Spanish, Sunday Night English).

Saturday Vigil - Cantor and Organ. Processional Hymn, chant Ordinary (Latin), chant Psalm/Alleluia/Offertory/Communion, Recessional Hymn
    Sunday Morning Early - Low Mass
    Sunday Morning Televised - Cathedral Choir and Schola. Processional Hymn & Chanted Entrance (English), chant Ordinary (Latin), chant Psalm/Alleluia/Offertory/Communion (English), Motets, Recessional Hymn
    Sunday Morning "Solemn" - Cathedral Schola. Gregorian Introit/Communio (occasionally Alleluia and Offertory), chant Ordinary (Latin), chant Psalm/Alleluia/Offertory (English), Motets, Recessional Hymn
    Spanish Afternoon - Cantor and Organ. Hymns, chanted Ordinary (Spanish), chanted Psalm/Alleluia.
    Sunday Night - Youth Schola and Organ. Chanted Entrance (English) or Processional Hymn (alternates weekly), chant Ordinary (Latin), chant Psalm/Alleluia/Communion (English), two modern hymns/songs.
    Spanish Night - Spanish Schola and Organ. Hymns, chanted Ordinary (Spanish), chanted Psalm/Alleluia, Motet(s).
    Thanked by 2irishtenor kenstb
  • G
    That would be the "troubles" some have in how they respectively deal with genders among equals.

OT, but in case someone from my old parish stumbles across this, I want to make it clear that in the case I mentioned her sex was NOT a factor in their on-going (loving!) head-butting.
    For a man his age he was remarkably gender-blind.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • gregpgregp
    This requires 3 worship aids (Main English, Spanish, Sunday Night English).

I want to hear some examples of "Sunday Night English". ;-)
  • I want to hear some examples of "Sunday Night English". ;-)

Downton Abbey is on PBS.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Downton Abbey is on PBS.

• kenstb
    Matthewj,

I am so happy to read that your Spanish speaking schola makes use of the organ!! I wish I could persuade the Spanish speakers in my parish of its superiority for leading and accompanying singing.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    They use the organ almost exclusively... When it is working. :)

Perhaps you'd like to make a donation toward a new organ for our Spanish (and English) parishioners.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What's the rector's "take" on not having an adequate instrument, MJM? Bp. Olmstead?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Both the rector and His Excellency are extraordinarily supportive of sacred music. More information will come out in the next few weeks, but the wheels are in motion.
  • G
    Perhaps you'd like to make a donation toward a new organ for our Spanish (and English) parishioners.

matthewj, do you know about gofundme?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)