How long will we accept mediocrity or worse?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Meanwhile, a half dozen classically trained and talented musicians show up every week, sit in the back with their arms folded, and grimace through the goofiness before rushing off to their jobs at the local Episcopal, Presbyterian, or Lutheran church.

Me being one of them except that the amount of talent is debatable in my case and instead of going to a job at the EpiscoPresbyLutherans, I leave straight from my OF parish after Mass and drive to the nearby EF Mass and volunteer chant.

As I said to many Catholics when I was converting from Lutheranism: you guys are sitting on a goldmine if you would just dig through a thin layer of hippy detritus.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Steve Q
  • donr
    I was tired of listening to what I was hearing from the local gene pool of throw together music at mass so I decided to volunteer to at least start a path of a more sacred nature.
    I am also volunteering on the building committee and hopefully soon will be running for the council or at least the budget committee so that I can effect change in the correct direction.
    Plus I hold down a full time job (not music related).
    It is very difficult to maintain especially with a small family who also needs my attention but the payoff should be huge to church music in our area for years after I'm singing with the choirs of Angels.
    There is only one way to affect change and that is to be come involved.
  • G
    "The fact is, most people in a parish and most people on the parish finance committee think that the music 'just happens'. "

Probably told this story before, a very good priest, (also a generous employer and understanding friend,) once told a colleague of mine she was needed to "do" the music for some event at Church and added - "It'll only take about twenty, twenty-five minutes."
    She asked how long it took him to prepare one of his five minute sermons, and he began to understand.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 2R J Stove CHGiffen
  • donr
    That is exactly why we need to infiltrate the "enemy" as it were.
    If the finance committee is your problem work toward changing the committees mind or its members. The same for the council. I'm not saying its easy and it may take many years but well worth the effort.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • WendiWendi
    I agree with you PGA. Which is why I'm calling real estate agents to put our house on the market.

I started out as donr did, volunteering in order to make things better. Unfortunately...too many people here don't want better. They want what they want, and think that it should be all volunteer.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • So what do we volunteers do? Stay at home and not bother?

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • a very good priest, (also a generous employer and understanding friend,) once told a colleague of mine she was needed to "do" the music for some event at Church and added - "It'll only take about twenty, twenty-five minutes."
    She asked how long it took him to prepare one of his five minute sermons, and he began to understand.

Well, you know the story (it might be apocryphal but I hope it isn't) about Ruskin and Whistler, as told in Charles Handy's book The Empty Raincoat: "When Ruskin sued Whistler for overcharging him for a portrait which, Ruskin claimed, he had dashed off in a hurry, the judge asked Whistler how long it had taken him to paint the portrait. 'Ten minutes,' Whistler replied, and a lifetime of experience'."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • @Wendi, that may very well work: when the congregation doesn't have anyone to do music for them, they're more likely to actually try themselves.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In my experience, most parishes either get the music program they deserve, or (for a short period) a slightly better one.
  • Liam
    My general rule of thumb for life in general: you are very lucky if you get what you pay for. Generally, you don't get it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • WendiWendi
    Of course not Padster. We keep volunteering until we completely burn out. Then we quit and stay home.

Right now what keeps me going back for more of the abuse I'm getting is the people that I know who go to my parish that are desperately grateful for one good liturgy. I'll keep on serving them until the new music director is hired, at which point I won't be able to anymore and I'll move, hopefully to a parish that will be open to good sacred music. I feel bad for those that I'm leaving behind, but I am absolutely powerless to do anything about it, so I've pretty much decided to leave it all in God's hands.

Clergekubisz, I don't know if it would be effective or just give them something else to complain about. You'd think with nine children I'd be immune to the temper tantrums by now...although my children didn't throw nearly as many as some adults I could name.
  • I serve two churches, and the most complaining that I get revolves around change. There were some older ladies talking about a bungle made by a guest organist a few Sundays ago (he didn't start on time and Fr. started Mass without him, singing a completely different hymn than planned), and their most energetic comment was that they went back to the old Mass setting for that service "oh, I loved THAT" was the exclamation. I am learning that people just want what is comfortable and familiar when they come to church. The problem is that the mediocre and banal have become comfortable and familiar. Chant , Latin, organ, and what we would consider good and beautiful is alien to them, and they reject it outright. I also have the suspicion that we are dealing with identity politics.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • G
    "The problem is that the mediocre and banal have become comfortable and familiar. Chant , Latin, organ, and what we would consider good and beautiful is alien to them, and they reject it outright. I also have the suspicion that we are dealing with identity politics. "

Yes..... so the solution is to make what is "good" and "beautiful", "comfortable" and familiar."
    And that takes effort and energy and time, and sometimes we run out of one or all.
    And yet, all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • "How long will we accept mediocrity or worse ?"

Regarding Sacred Choral Music:
    Good choral music will stand the test of time. What might be considered mediocre now, might really become a classic with time. Don’t be too hard on our modern choral composers. Bach and Mozart were once the new kids on the block, and not all that well received in their time. I wonder how many modern choral composers will stand the test of time ?
    Thanked by 2Jani R J Stove
  • Clerget--there is no doubt that most people want to go to church and be welcomed with what is comfortable to them. But, things can be changed. In three years, my parish went from contemporary praise and worship masses to traditional hymnody and chant. The change came overnight, and I will admit we did lose a lot of parishioners, but those who stayed are now singing robustfully in the pews and even learning some chant. It's also been my experience through this change, that several people who left to go to other parishes where the "familiar" music was being played, have come back.
  • WendiWendi
    I've tried telling people that here too...sadly they don't believe me, or they don't care.
  • I will admit we did lose a lot of parishioners,

You didn't lose parishioners. You sent those away who had no interest in being parishioners and wanted only what they wanted...a very typical and sad face of what the Catholic church has become. As a list member posted who is now attending an Episcopal church, sometimes the Catholic church in your town isn't Catholic so it's a choice of staying home or finding another place to go on Sunday morning.

It is interesting that getting rid of these people often ends up in the parish changing for the better, until the bishop plays with his pawns and moves them around on his chessboard.

Putting the readings in the hymnbooks in the 1970's pretty much destroyed the church, most people up until then didn't have missals, came to Mass and listened...those days of full, active participation are gone now as we all sit, looking down into our cheap paper liturgical guides and read along. Don't people remember how boring it was to read along in class while someone else read out loud?
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • donr
    ...is now attending an Episcopal church, sometimes the Catholic church in your town isn't Catholic so it's a choice of staying home or finding another place to go on Sunday morning

Being Catholic has nothing to do with the music. Even if the church switch completely to rap I would have major concerns and be very disappointed but I would never trade the Eucharist for a different service because the music was better.
    I will and I hope we all pray for this "list member".
  • I couldn't have said it better myself Donr.

Frankly, and I'm bound to offend someone here, but that's how I feel about Catholic musicians who switch and start playing at other churches. Are you a lay minister of the CHURCH or not? What if the associate pastor got upset that the pastor won't let him use insense and preach 40 minute sermons, so he just went and got a job as a minister at the local Lutheran church, where he can preach fire and brimstone for 50 minutes on Sunday morning? What would we say of him?

I'm not saying I've never played in a non-Catholic church. I got my start in one at 14 years old. But frankly, the local Catholic church wouldn't have let me play at that age. And I've subbed over the years for the odd wedding or funeral; but I'd never trade in my regular job and ministry.
  • CharlesW
    I have mixed feelings on playing for Protestant churches. I did play for them for a number of years when younger. Although they can have some advantages, they also have their own problems. There is no heaven on earth.

Being Byzantine often colors my perceptions. I keep in mind that there are 22 or 23 churches (depending on who is counting) within the Catholic Church, all fully Catholic and many with liturgies older than what is practiced in the west. I find a Byzantine mind set is a good thing to bring to Latin rite liturgy, since I am not distracted by fads or what is currently popular. Liturgy should be above such things anyway. If the local Latin parish is too rotten to tolerate, look for other Catholic alternatives to see you through until things improve - easier in some areas than others.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Putting the readings in the hymnbooks in the 1970's pretty much destroyed the church

Yes. It was definitely that.
  • CharlesW
    Are you a lay minister of the CHURCH or not?

I prefer not to think so - at least not so much. I perform a function, but there is no need to clericalize it. There is too much of that already. Whatever you call me, don't call me a pastoral musician. I don't even know what the hell that is other than NPM speak.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • WendiWendi
    I don't see myself as a lay minister, however, I do think that whoever is making the musical decisions for a parish has the responsibility to do so in conformity with the mind of the church as to what constitutes appropriate music, and to always strive for the first option when possible. If you have the ability to chant the Propers, work with the priest to explain what they are and then do that instead of the hymn/paraphrase.

As for Catholic musicians playing in protestant churches...if more Catholic churches followed church teaching about paying a just wage, it probably wouldn't be so common. I have the luxury of not relying on my salary to make end meet...most people have to provide for their families on their salary.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Good choral music will stand the test of time.

That is thankfully true even though we are currently in a season where junk is artificially propped up. Non-Catholics, agnostics and even atheists all over the world own recordings of plainchant. It's a safe bet that practically no one has or wants a copy of Dan Shutte's Greatest Hits. Without the captive audience Sunday obligation and a cabal of Kapellfluffenmeisters calling the shots, this stuff would die a merciful death.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Putting the readings in the hymnbooks in the 1970's pretty much destroyed the church,

Please explain this comment Noel. I definitely do not understand this comment. I think there have been a lot of things that have contributed to much damage but this comment?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • At that time people came and heard Mass. My German friend reminded me that when she said that she was looking forward to coming to church and hearing Mass.

The priest did all the readings...It was very rare to have a Mass with three priests or deacons, so I don't recall who did the readings in that situation.

People's total contact with the church was sitting at Mass and listening. In the 1960's people began saying the responses (and singing them, as I recall) and lay people began doing the readings at Mass. But then publishers began offering to sell you Worship and misallettes for the entire congregation with the readings - for more money. The priests struggled with the decision, knowing that people would just read along. But they went ahead and did it.

The permission for letting lay people do the readings let lay people into the sanctuary. Up until them you had to memorize the Latin Mass responses to be an altar boy and be near the altar during Mass...unless you were getting married.

There was an invisible wall. One of the biggest shocks of my life was going with my father to church to fix the sound system and having Father Gaffney walk out of the sacristy in the empty church and hearing him say, "Hi, Russell, how are you?".

While lay people doing the readings pierced the wall, you still, unless you had a missal, which was rare, sat and listened. Or day dreamed or prayed the rosary.

Putting the readings and songs in your hands I feel changed things - suddenly you could sit and read instead of watching and listening. You also were expected to follow along and participate by saying or singing responses and hymns and the psalm.

It went from being a meditative exercise which everyone - except the smallest infants - participated in fully, to an experience in which you had to decide how fully you wanted to participate. You had to stand, sit or kneel unless very old, like before, but know you had to affirm your participation verbally and some do and some do not.

If the readings - and the psalm response - and the hymns had not been put in the hands of the people, the participation level would have remained where it was.

I think that that would have been a good thing. It's like a country club that decides to tear out half the golf greens to make a skateboard park. People did not create and join the club to skateboard. As a result, many quit.

The Folk Mass in the gym was a great marketing ploy to preserve Mass in the church and I believe was never intend to make the changes that took over the sacred Mass in the Sanctuary. Thinking and leadership in the church then destroyed the structure that people accepted.

So, it wasn't putting the readings in the hands of the people, but that was an element that can be viewed as one of the icebergs, in my mind a large one because of how it was struck..in the weather of that time.

• Scott_WScott_W
    Edit: Ninja'd, so I deleted.
  • Engaging in warfare against "NPM speak," is, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction, usually promulgated by folks such as those who frequent this forum.

The USCCB and in recent years the Vatican have made clear that there are legitimate lay ministries, which are indeed psudo-clericalized. I mean this in terms of the type of training and professionalism expected of those who engage in these ministries.

Now, if you think that this is absurd and don't like the fact that all sorts of people in the Church have begun endorsing this since Vatican II and what not, then you can go ahead and have that discussion - but frankly I find those issues to be above my pay grade.

As for "Pastoral Musician," I don't find the term ridiculous. It's not hard to see what is meant by it. Bring in someone with the highest level of conservatory training, who has won the most prestigious competitions in their discipline across the world, but has ZERO liturgical or theological training, and plop them into a Catholic church music directing job and you've got a a world class musician, but not a pastoral musician. Now take someone with formation in the basics of theology and liturgical documents, plus good musical training and formation, as well as a sense of how to balance the ideal of the documents with the realities on the ground, and you've probably got a pastoral musician. (It's not a dirty term!)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This thread could be so debilitating to an ennobled newbie director trying to glean any measure of wisdom from our musings. Somehow I'm reminded by it of Orwell's Animal Farm.
    All the discussion about "If this happens, this will result"....or "we used to have this reality, but we were led to this nonsense"...."This word doesn't mean what you think it does, it means what I say it means" and so forth only reflects a sort of undiginified resignation to the perception of yielding to a predominant nature, and the conception of some sort of false utopia that can be contrived only by the true cognescenti. This is understandable, if you're (mixed metaphor alert) looking at things from within the Ant Farm.
    We are human beings and individuals, afforded the gifts and benefits thereof by God should we strive to keep His sovreign reign over us by behaving in accord with the basic commands and promises further gifted us by The Son.
    We have so many examples of other "mere" humans who became much needed leaders in whatever capacity they could. But their leadership was modeled after Christ at the Mandatum, to be servants of the servants. These humans lived within that dichotomy and didn't much worry about themselves while doing that. We call them "saints" now. My patron, St. Gregory the Great, is an exemplar of that, legends notwithstanding about him.
    This reflection may not resonate or be comprehendable to some, so I'll boil it down to the philosophy, as I understand it, of another of these humans, Blessed Theresa of Calcutta, who basically witnessed to "doing whatever one can, wherever and whenever and however one can, for others that uplifts both body and spirit and affords them the dignity God gave each of us at birth."
  • CharlesW
    I will leave the "pastoral" ministry to the pastor - it's his job. I am a musician, organist/director, or organist choirmaster - pick the term of your choice - adding support to the liturgy and priest, while not consciously drawing attention to myself.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I've always liked "Master of ye Musick"
    Thanked by 3CharlesW francis Blaise
  • Well what you are referring to is pastoral. A rose by any other name ...
  • Blaise
    As a member of the choir, I don't call myself a "lay minister"; I am a singer, musician, chorister, choir member, etc. The music program is well appreciated in my parish, so there is no need for extra titles. I am well aware of the USCCB documents regarding lay ministry and do not quarrel with them; however, we are all aware, let us not kid ourselves, that many lay people (not all, mind you) use the term "lay minister" to try to make themselves equals to the priests. Some even advance the notion of "lay preachers" serving "priestless parishes."
  • CharlesW
    We live in the age of euphemistic language where we can not bring ourselves to call a spade a spade, or a shovel a shovel. I call it Paul VI syndrome, since he suffered greatly from it. I have no need for titles, earned or assigned. I already have more than many would want and it is questionable what any are worth in the final analysis. Good old Popeye said it best, "I yam what I yam."
  • francis
    Choirmaster and Organist

That says it. That is what the Church has ALWAYS had, and it don't need to change!

Being a Catholic already assumes I will ACT like one toward all people. Being 'pastoral' is a redundant term. Everyone should be treated the same, as Christ would treat us. Here is the rule:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Not

Be "pastoral" toward those who will rise up against you because they don't agree with your philosophy and will try to destroy you. (The church of 'niceness')

The term the bible uses for those kind of people are your enemies, and I hand them over to God (or Satan) if God so directs me, and I shake the dust from my feet.

The Psalms are full of prayers and language about dealing with our enemies. Get a grip. You are in a war, people. If you think Jesus was a flower child and hugged his enemies, you got the wrong Jesus. And unfortunately, some of our worst enemies are usually those who sit in the pews. Jesus had Judas. What was the outcome of THAT relationship? Capisce?
  • Did you really just say that you are at war with those in the pews?

Well yes, I guess that is a different view than one which suggests you are there to serve and minister to them.
  • francis
    Paix:

I did not say that. Read it again.

We are the Church Militant, which means we fight against three operatives: The world, the flesh and the devil.
  • Well at least "some" of them.
  • francis
    We are not at war with the anyone in the pews. They, however, may be at war with us, and I recommend you take up the rosary and do battle! Do you think everyone is there to appreciate you and make you successful and 'be ministered to' by your musical service?

Do you know how much carnage results among our comrades from the evil forces perpetrated through people who call themselves Christians? The Pope said it well:

“Calumny aims to destroy the work of God, and calumny comes from a very evil thing: it is born of hatred. And hate is the work of Satan. Calumny destroys the work of God in people, in their souls. Calumny uses lies to get ahead.” Be in no doubt, he said: “Where there is calumny, there is Satan himself."

Unfortunately, calumny is rampant in our ranks. Why do you think he addressed this recently?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • No but I wouldn't be so quick to attribute everything to the "enemy." They might hate what you do for a lot of complicated reasons, not limited to the psychology of music, modern media, people's tastes, etc.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • francis
    Doesn't matter what the 'reason' for hate is. It has one root: the father of lies.

Be in no doubt, he said: “Where there is calumny, there is Satan himself."
  • donr
    OK... Calumny is ...
    cal·um·ny
    ˈkaləmnē/
    noun
    noun: calumny; plural noun: calumnies

the making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
    synonyms: slander, defamation (of character), character assassination, libel;

Don't do it!!

I believe we are lay ministers or maybe we should be called "extra ordinary ministers of sacred music" so that no-one gets confused.
  • CharlesW
    extra ordinary ministers of sacred music"

Love it!
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    extra ordinary ministers of sacred music

I consider myself exceptionally ordinary
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm not ordinarily exceptional.
  • Blaise
    I'm not ordinarily exceptionally musical. :-)

Now, where can I find a voice teacher?

I absolutely must have the voice of the waitress who sung "Happy Birthday" yesterday at the local Mediterranean cafe.

It was truly stunning, with applause from all afterward.
  • Blaise
    There is mention above of making what is "beautiful" to be "familiar". While it is true that people should be comfortable with it, I think that part of the concept of sacredness has to do with making it "otherworldly."

Part of what keeps bringing me back to the Byzantine liturgy after three years of attending is that it still manages....for me, at least.....to have a different feel than any other worship I've been to. It has never really become familiar, if you will, to me. (Yes, there is a Christian concept of "otherworldliness" which has nothing to do with the New Age)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    "The oft told story of the emissaries of Prince Vladimir of Kiev searching out the various options for religion is so beautiful it matters not if it were true or not. In 988, the story goes, his representatives sought out the worship and theological life of the choices of the religious alternatives. It was said that when they entered the Hagia Sophia of Constantinople, they were so caught up in the chant, the incense, the icons, the liturgy, and the sense of the holy presence of God, that they were overcome. In their report to the Prince they said they did not know if they were in heaven or on earth -- they had never seen such beauty! They could not describe it except to say, "there God dwells among men..."

See more at: http://pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/2011/07/we-did-not-know-if-we-were-in-heaven-or.html#sthash.XxiYq0tn.dpuf

Don't we wish we could cause that reaction every Sunday?
    Thanked by 2Blaise expeditus1
  • WendiWendi
    I'd settle for HAVING that reaction.