Working under duress
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The other offshoot branch from bkenny27's "Pastoral Council" article is an informal inquiry as to how many of us have or are currently experienced/experiencing some form of indirect or direct pressure from any person(s) in a parish/cathedral situation? If you have not actually read the brief pamphlet "When Sheep Attack" by Richard Shepherd, that might help your perspective as to whether the duress is effective or just perceived.
    Share as much as you feel comfortable and necessary.
  • chonakchonak
    du·ress
    d(y)o͝oˈres/noun

threats, violence, constraints, or other action brought to bear on someone to do something against their will or better judgment."confessions extracted under duress"

synonyms:coercion, 

---

Is this what you are asking about, melofluent?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    HeHe, RC, you're quite right to ask for clarification.
    Let's just say "Ever been attacked by a sheep?"
  • Kathy
    Oh! I thought it was "working under a dress"--another one of those threads about wearing a cassock and surplice.

No?
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A Kilt count?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • "When Sheep Attack" by Richard Shepherd

Where does one find this? I have "When Sheep Attack" by Dennis R. Maynard which has been immensely eye-opening as well, but not this pamphlet.
  • Yes, I was about to ask the same thing! Could somebody please give a full bibliographic reference (Yeah, yeah, I know it's geeky...)
  • kevinfkevinf
    This thread should also include how you have or have not survived under duress. Having done both, it would be useful to to all who read and discuss here.
  • Fr. usually helps me with that. He's been very helpful.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't had those problems. The pastor is clear on what he wants and communicates that clearly. That is essential. No one has ever pressured me directly, or even tried to do so. Being physically able to hurt them has never worked to my disadvantage, but I haven't had to resort to that.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I meant Maynard, I was under duress when typing!
  • kenstb
    In my experience, there has been virtually no pressure put on me by parish councils or pastors to do anything that would upset me or the peace within the ministry of music. I don't think that the parish council in my community has very much clout.  

Unfortunately, I have seen priests make some truly awful decisions by seeking to be friends with people rather than to be firm. As a result, with the exception of the English speaking community's music, which is prepared by me, professionals need not apply. As a result, the quality of the music offered to the other communities (which speak Spanish and Portuguese) is poor.  

If I didn't insist upon teaching hymns and masses in Latin to my Schola, the parish would hear no Latin or Greek, and the masses would descend into extended prayer meetings. The true pressure in my community is to be heard among so many voices who (perhaps through lack of training) don't understand the beauty, reverence and majesty of our Catholic musical heritage. 
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry folks, Richard Shepherd was on my mind because of his contributions to St. James Press/Canons and Crotchets.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • GavinGavin
    I have survived this, and have the mental scars to prove it.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • If Richard Shepherd actually did write "When Sheep Attack" that would be very appropriate...
  • The main problem I am experiencing is having the music changed overnight by a non-compromising pastor which has resulted in many singers leaving. The "sheep" that is attacking in my case is actually the shepherd.
  • ^ Yikes. I'm going through a lot, but glad that's not my situation.
  • I thought it was strange that "google" provided me an article on sheep from the Sydney Gazette. Yes ,the name shepherd was appropriate, and it was about sheep.
  • chonakchonak
    The book Melo meant to reference is this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/When-Sheep-Attack-Dennis-Maynard/dp/1451513917
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • kenstb
    I've never been subjected to having anything changed overnight. My deepest sympathies to Musicteacher56. When are your rehearsals held in relation to mass? Is it possible to email the selections to your priest in advance of choir rehearsal? Perhaps your pastor might sit in on a practice to gain some insight into the preparation you put into the music. It might be worthwhile to invite him.
  • I wonder if we can say that there is a certain generation who wants certain music.

Younger Roman Catholics tend not to object to more traditional beautiful music in my experience.
  • I would definitely say that.
  • Seconded.
  • At a previous job as an organist, while I was still in college, the pastor would frequently demand a change to the music ten minutes before Mass. Usually he wanted a song that matched the theme of his homily. I learned to adapt quickly, but it was still frustrating because I had prepared a prelude and other organ music that went with the original hymns. That same priest would also become enraged if the entrance hymn or offertory music went a bit too long and he had to wait. He would sometimes shout over the music. Even though my current pastor isn't like that, I still have a tendency to end the offertory hymn far too early rather than risk making the priest wait even a few seconds. I don't know if that experience counts as "duress", but I think it's affected me permanently.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds like PTSD, Allan D!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Allen, I would say that priest probably didn't want music at Mass at all, since it was clearly in his way. The way you tell the story, it sounds like he just tolerated the music until the point that it was in his way. Thankfully, I have had very tolerant and understanding priests to work with, who will wait if the music goes a little longer than expected. If there is an issue, they are usually very professional with me and address it after Mass. Shouting over the music seems like it would ruin the experience for the congregation.
  • I've never told my full story, but let me tell you this - I have family and friends who marvel that I continue to serve the Church when I've been professionally, emotionally and financially abused by priests, congregations, staff people and even colleagues.

All I can say is - while I know I'll face execrable priests, staff people and congregants during my career, I also know that they'll face judgment for their actions and be made to answer for the things they've done.

Several colleagues of mine are being literally hounded by a small gaggle of hateful aging hippies who have no compunction to pick up a pen or fire up their computer and send some of the most vile, hateful, uncharitable vitriol I've ever seen. But one of them rightly pointed out that we're called to be faithful, not successful. The world measures success in ways that I think will be found wanting in the hereafter.
  • Allan's story reminds me of a priest that helped out for a very short time at one of the places that I used to play. He would do things like that - talking over the music, FREAKING OUT if I wasn't announcing the entrance hymn by the very minute mass was supposed to start, etc. By "freaking out" I mean literally standing in back waving his arms WILDLY and beginning to RUN down the side of the church to get my attention (this was a modern, "in the round" church.)

He was not actually assigned there, but to the cancer home across the street. His predecessor had generously helped the parish with Sunday masses and it was assumed by all that he would just continue that practice.

He lasted 2 weeks. He was rightly seen by all as the nut job that he was. I'm not sure what the conversation looked like, but I was told something about him and the pastor mutually agreeing that helping out in the parish wasn't in anyone's best interest.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    David, as we enjoy the Platonic menage with sweet W, my kinship with you is acute. What all I've gleaned from my clerical, administrative, chancery and family/friend loved ones is that if one's abuser is not only in violation of certain commandments, but also absolutely incorrect and ignorant of actual liturgical law, but yet and still inundates one with nuisance attacks, such assaults consist only of "words." As reassuring as that reality is, what is forgotten in the morass is that our entire universe, from a quark to galaxies to our FAITH is founded upon The Word. And words can be as fragile as a newborn infant, as powerful as an earthquake, and as redemptive as a pardon to a malefactor who recognizes, finally, the Truth.
    Yet we still have HOPE that our ecclesial institutions can become houses for truth and justice. Of course that is dependent upon whether the souls occupying the institution actually practice LOVE in their hearts. Not admiration nor resentment, not convenience nor dismissal, Christians "in authority" must practice love towards all they encounter. As I've been reminded time after time here, that love isn't always found in some kumbaya homily, or by a benign tolerance of utter evil, but often in the spirit of fraternal correction in manner of something like "Go and sin no more."
    You're not alone, brother. HNY
  • CharlesW
    I have had to point out to visiting priests, that we have a pastor who has set policies and procedures and that I work for the pastor. As long as he is pastor, his wishes will be followed.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • WendiWendi
    Being rather new to being a professional sacred musician...I have to say that yes, I have been subject to this, although thank the good Lord NOT by the pastor.

Most recently...In the space of one morning I was told that Pope Francis is going to get rid of all that Latin and Incense S*&% because it doesn't belong at Mass, and had someone request that I program Rich Mullins "Awesome God" at Mass. I recognize that transitions are usually fraught with this sort of thing...it should be an interesting month.
  • HAHAHAHAHA.

No. If one bothered to watch the Christmas mass from the Vatican, they would see that the mass was 99% in latin.

The only thing that's not in keeping with Francis' personal style is really ornate lace vestments and the like.

As with most things with this pope - the change might look impressive to someone at first glance, but it's a change of mostly tone and not substance.
  • As for "Awesome God," tell them "When I select music I ain't just puttin' on the ritz."
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    So true! Francis has been supportive of the changes Benedict made to the liturgy. It is a difference of personal style instead of substance.
  • CharlesW
    Wendi, tell them you prefer the dyslexic version, "Awesome Dog."
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • I believe that the following qualifies as working under duress:

The pastor at my childhood hometown parish had legendary status, because of his "personal style." Over the years, many parishioners abruptly disappeared. They were presumed to be too thin-skinned or hyper-sensitive.

Six years ago, when my sister was married there, I had a front-seat vantage point, to better understand what must have been the experience of others. (You know the old drill: Until it actually directly impacts you or your loved ones, someone else's misfortune has no force.)

The professional soprano soloist, who had been referred by me, was practicing with the young female organist, after the evening's wedding rehearsal. They were both non-Catholic, each of them very motivated to give the wedding music their best effort (a delightful quality, right?), and the young female organist who had never played at this church before, needed a little extra assurance time at the keyboard. The pastor became enraged, and began to beat on the pew with a cane, thundering in that booming voice of his, "Get the HELL out of here! Get the HELL OUT!!" Everyone in attendance was shaken by this, but it was just one of a number of abusive things which had occurred that evening.

The following day, at the wedding itself: The processional, "Trumpet Voluntary," was being played as my sister, the bride, walked down the aisle. The priest, over the microphone, said in his best impatient, crotchety voice, "Come on, come on, let's go!" Later in the Mass, when the Best Man and Maid of Honor went up to the altar to give their signatures, we heard the priest address the Maid of Honor over the microphone, "You got better-looking from when you were young." The look that my sister-in-law shot me at that moment was priceless.

A couple days after the wedding, I called the soprano soloist to profusely apologize for the priests' behavior. I don't know that the shaken organist ever played in a Catholic church after that, but I did request that the same soloist sing for my son's wedding at the same church, last year, after assuring her that there would be a different priest.

Incidentally, the regular organist who had served for decades at the aforementioned parish, and no doubt, had to have experienced his own duress, died a musician's dream death. He played the Sunday Mass, went next door to the Adoration Chapel for his regularly-scheduled hour, and then slumping against his car in the parking lot, died.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Some priests need, as my grandmother would have said, "A good thrashing." It amazes me how some get away with bad behavior for years.
  • For clergy behavior that bad and dysfunctional, I would have went "downtown" (or wherever your chancery is physically located) and I would have DEFINATELY made noise and made something out of it, to the bishop, chancellor, whomever.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I know a priest that will whistle along with the post-Communion piano improvisations while he purifies the vessels.
  • Spriggo
    I had a previous pastor/boss that would intentionally (and VERY loudly) sing wrong and inappropriate words to hymns to try and make the folks in the front pews laugh. He usually did all of the laughing. The pips didn't find it quite so amusing.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...a priest that will whistle along with the post-Communion piano improvisations
    My wife has reported audible foot tapping, but this...
  • It continues to amaze me that some of these priests are still shepherding flocks when they do nothing but cause concern. When the PIP's begin to question their faith because of questionable behavior by the priest, something is very, very wrong. And some priests do need "a good thrashing". Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods I was told that, a long as the priest isn't doing anything liturgical incorrect, there is little that can be done and concerns to the Dean won't yield any change.

To Expeditus--while I definitely work for a very difficult, uncomprising pastor that has led to a mass exodus in terms of people, I have never experienced anything as rude and condescending as that which you describe, and especially at a wedding where so many guests are not Catholic. The Catholic Church deals with enough abuse without having guests being subjected to such abuse. My apologies to the bride and guest organist.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Musicteacher56, sometimes head-scratching is the natural response. The priest I referred to above was the subject of many letters written to the bishop(s) over the years.
  • You should go to the next level. Appeal to Rome!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ha, ha, ha. : )