Epiphany Proclamation 2014 (now attached)
  • Hi all,

Does anyone have a file for this year's Epiphany Proclamation in English? I recall seeing forum-made versions in the past, but I haven't seen one yet this year.

Is anyone out there thinking past next Wednesday?
  • Liam
    No worry. The Pope decided to cancel the celebration of the moveable feasts next year in order to simplify the liturgy.
  • Bad form, Liam.

Here's a version I banged out this morning. It's straight out of the Missal with the dates plugged in.
  • ronkrisman
    Thank you, Andrew, for banging out the 2014 version. But, my oh my, this ICEL setting is really quite poor. A good example of how a plainchant formula must not be used as a musical straitjacket to set an English text. The ascending two notes on all those "the's" and a few prepositions are some of the worse features of the setting. Reminds me of the abbot's aria in Carmina Burana.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, dear: what is one to do with the observance of Ascension Thursday Sunday ( in those places where bishops have decided to do something shifty with the feast )?

"On the twenty-ninth day of May [in the ecclesiastical provinces of Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Omaha, and Philadelphia; elsewhere in the United States of America "On the first day of June"] will be the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ"?
  • Oh, goodness Richard.

Thank you so much for reminding me of that. I completely forgot that I no longer live in a diocese where we celebrate on Thursday. Stand by for version 1.1.

• Take 2 for barbarians like me that live in areas that celebrate Ascension Sunday.
  • But, my oh my, this ICEL setting is really quite poor. A good example of how a plainchant formula must not be used as a musical straitjacket to set an English text.

Very true. I am blessed to live in an area where people treasure the St. Meinrad adaptations of virtually everything.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • BenBen
    Both of Andrew's editions, as well as my editions in neumes can all now be downloaded at this link:

Epiphany Proclamation 2014
  • veromaryveromary
    For anyone eager for the Latin EF version, all the dates match up with 2003, which happens to be the first year I typed up the proclamation: Archived here.

I do plan to reset it with gregorio. I tried the shortcut of changing the heading in the opustex source of the 2003 version, but I don't have opusflex on my computer anymore.

UPDATE: all updated and ready to roll brandt.id.au/music/epiphany.html (Ascension Thursday, but the gabc is there if you would like to transfer it to the Sunday)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • I'm just bumping this once since it's this weekend.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I just wanted to give a big "thank you" for this. We sang this at Mass last night, and it was the first time that anyone in the schola (including our director!) had ever heard it. Beautiful.