Responsorial Psalms for This Sunday Lateran Basilica Feast
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Check out This site if you want to take your pick from at least seven different (free!) settings of the feast for this Sunday's Responsoral Psalm

Feast of the dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome
    November 9

R. The waters of the river gladden the city of God, the holy dwelling of the Most High.
    Ps. God is our refuge and our strength
  • francis
    We are doing the Oost plainchant version. Does anyone have recommendations on keeping the choir together on such long phrases?
  • If I may also suggest an alternative setting...

available at: http://mysite.verizon.net/res1177m8/id2.html
  • francis
    thnx, richard. nice setting!

here is how i revised the plainchant.

http://www.romancatholicsacredmusic.com/psalm46revised.pdf
  • Perhaps a more strictly authentic application of Tone IV E follows, based on my understanding of the Liber rules (admitting that, when it comes to setting vernacular texts, "strict" can be pretty subjective). I can see breaking up the two-note neumes to accommodate the English word accents (though I don't like it). However, I do think keeping the two-verse-per-refrain structure of the Missal (and most Psalters) helps the flow, keeps the sense, and avoids the long, awkward recitations.
  • francis
    o yes! much better. thnx richard!... again!
  • AOZ
    Richard - your version flows nicely. Thank you for posting this.

About the verses: people in our congregation follow along with the missalette as one or more of us sing the Psalm. We print the antiphon in our program (the text and neumes), but do not always have space for the verses. Since our pastor prefers that we print just about everything, it makes good sense for us to stick to an audible rendition of the format printed in the missallette.

And there is really nothing new in a broader sense about listening to a long (loosely defined) recitation. They've heard recitations before -- that's just part of the sound of the Mass. When singing/reciting the English, is natural to add length or a slight pause after certain words or when there is a comma. That is just how nicely articulated English works and the skilled cantor will do this on his own.

When it comes to setting these Lectionary texts, I am forced to toss certain rules to the wayside from time to time. My goal to make things immediately singable in English, but based on the Gregorian tones. Though they are all based on tradition, the music bows, and must bow, to the language. I think that is my ultimate guiding principle. They have proven successful in liturgy from a musical, pastoral, and congregational standpoint 99 percent of the time.

Another nice things is that they require no accompaniment, and nothing but a cantor or two cantors. simple.
  • soli
    Thank you for bringing attention to these great Psalm settings. Arlene, I think we will use your plainchant version. Thank you everyone, for sharing your music!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Ancilla,

You made a good choice: Arlene's settings are WONDERFUL and very prayerful.

We are highly blessed, because she posts ALL her settings on this site, in advance of each Sunday, often when they are "hot off the presses" . . . .
  • soli
    Thank you, too, Jeff! In fact, I use yours as well sometimes. I will have to adopt the verses to Canadian Lectionary (or GRAIL is still in the CBW II) They are all blessing to us who post and read here! Thank you:)
  • francis
    the chant version of the RP went very well! Thank you AOZ and RR. (the choir sang alone... without the PIPs). It is an alternative in the GIRM or STTL, can't remember which.
  • Beth
    we did BMP's settings and it worked great, the melodic line sang well with the cantor and congregation.
    Thanks Jeff O. for this project. You Rock!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This is so wonderful that people are taking advantage of the free gifts of these composers!!

I want you all to know that I have major plans to update and improve the Chabanel Site, but I can't seem to find any free time yet...