Are you organisits passing along your gifts
  • donr
    You know I used to play drums semi-professionally, but when I was a young lad my instructor told me that if you want to live forever teach someone your craft. You will live forever because a little part of you will be left in future generations.

So the question is if you have the ability to teach organ, are you?
    If not should you be?

We need future generations to play the organ. There are probably young men or women (or old men or women) who listen to you on a weekly basis and think, "I would love to play the organ".

I am a little selfish in this as I would love to play the organ, so If anyone in the Phoenix or Tucson area would like to teach I would like to start here?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I will be giving my Spanish assistant at the Cathedral some free organ tutorials (not quite lessons) in the new year. If you were free at the times those are taking place you could join us.
  • I've given organ tutorials several times, and I also have a video tutorial on YouTube. I have offered to give lessons to those who wish, but I make it clear that they must be able to practice or they must have two appointments with me: one for the organ and one to practice manual parts at the piano. I want them to understand what they are getting into, as I have several students who simply think it would be fun to play with the instrument and make a lot of noise, then quit after the second or third lesson. If I am going to teach them to play, they must make a commitment to learn.
  • I agree with ClergetKubisz. It was when I bought myself a pair of expensive organ-shoes, as a neophyte, that my organ teacher (Mrs. Merrowyn Deacon, here in Melbourne) perceived the fact that I meant business and wasn't just wanting to muck around. These shoes I've used ever since, it so happens.

Unfortunately I don't know any young people who want to learn the organ in my city. So even if I had formally recognized teaching qualifications - which I don't - I couldn't teach.
  • donr
    Matthew PM me when you are going to start after the holidays and I will look at my calendar.

Clerget, i will look for the videos.

RJ sometimes you have to advertise and just let people know your willing to give the lessons. Some people who already play the piano might be interested. I know my wife is a piano teacher, when we go to different churches to check them out, I always want to make my up to the loft to meet with the director or organist but she is too afraid. She doesn't feel like you all want to be bothered after Mass, and she plays at Mass and loves it when people talk to her after Mass, go figure.
  • Donr, my YouTube name is ClergetMusic.
  • It is extremely difficult to attract new organists when there are few organs out there and no money to pay scholarships.

Chicken-and-egg problem.
  • TCJ
    I have to agree with Hartleymartin. Nobody in his right mind would want to learn organ after hearing the one that I have to play at church.
  • canadashcanadash
    and no money to pay scholarships.

You know, I don't know about this. There seems to be money for so many things. If the church wanted to pay for young people to learn organ, voice and theory, there would be money for it.
  • donr
    canadash, I think you are on to something here.
    Although I would agree with hartleymartin, I think this is another Catholic problem. I have been getting feedback from many pipe builders in the US and Canada lately for my churches new building project. I have been hearing things like, "I'd like you to go check out our new installations of pipe organs at this Episcopalian church or that Luthern Church. One is trying to set me up to visist a Baptist church that is just being installed and will be available soon. They are still putting in grand instruments so people must be playing them.
  • When you are told 'there isn't money', what is really meant is that they aren't going to spend it on music. When 'they' really want something, they rarely fail to find the money for it!
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • kevinfkevinf
    I have a number of organ students and I am happy to say that I have more who wish to play the organ.As I teach a small group (by choice), I realized that if I wanted substitutes, I would have to train them myself.

The organ is very alive in the bourbon lands.
  • Send some of that to your brothers in the north in Indiana!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Children's choirs are the natural place to recruit kids into organ lessons. Don't wait for them to ask you.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • Canadash observes, correctly:

There seems to be money for so many things. If the church wanted to pay for young people to learn organ, voice and theory, there would be money for it.

Well, in my own archdiocese - usually regarded as Australia's most orthodox - there is invariably money for

(a) Youth pro-life-movement concerts devoted to cover versions of such musical giants as that well-known Ockeghem de nos jours, Justin Bieber;

(b) Ecumenical dialogue / outreach programs for endless gab-fests with Muslims;

(c) and most importantly, payouts for the victims of Fr. Lawrence C. Murphy's less ingenious antipodean equivalents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_Catholic_archdiocese_of_Milwaukee#Lawrence_Murphy_case

Donr makes a good point, above; but regrettably my formal qualifications - for whatever they're worth - are all in the playing of the organ, not in music teaching. I passed Eighth Grade in the Australian Music Examinations Board system (the relevant AGO level would appear to be Associate, though don't quote me on this assertion) yet nowadays here, for any instrument, you also need the teaching diploma at least. Oh, and a police clearance of course, but I wouldn't have problems with obtaining that.
  • donr
    I have been playing music for almost 30 years, mostly drums, but also guitar. I also teach those instruments. I do not have a degree nor do I need one. I am not talking about teaching out of a college somewhere or even a professional school, but right there out if your church, on your schedule. You can either charge or not, that is up to you.
    If you are teaching on the church property they will most likely need you to watch a video and get figure printed by the police, but most if you need to do that anyway if you have children or elderly in your choirs.

Some child or adult that already knows how to play the piano, I would think to be prime candadite but as Adam states a member of the choir.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW

Someone else who knows more can fill in details, but I understand that in the chorister system in England, boys take a year off of singing when their voices change, and spend most of that time learning organ.
  • Thanks, donr, for your latest comment. I presume you're living in America. Maybe things are different there. But in Australia, I wouldn't even dream of hanging out my shingle as any sort of pedagogue - especially any sort of pedagogue charging money - without the relevant diploma. This isn't solely a matter of church property or the organ. Were I an oboist or a cellist or a trumpeter, it would be the same thing.
  • I'm going to say it straight about churches in Australia. In the Catholic Church, there are a mere handful of Cathedral Choirs. The traditional chorister system barely exists even among the cathedral choirs.

For the most part, there was never a particularly solid and widespread choral tradition in Australia. It has certainly picked up over the last 20 years, but there is resistance to change.

For one thing, nearly all the people who now lead music programs in schools are the people who grew up with the 70's/80's folk-guitar church music, and worse still, with the Hillsong style "Christian-Rock" music.

I did a Primary School (Year 6) graduation mass last night. I played the ordinary of the mass on the organ and did some filler interludes, but as I had been called in only 7 hours earlier (fill in for a cancellation) the "hymns" were trite modern trash played from a CD because they didn't have sheet music.

When I don't get a say in the music, I can just bite the bullet, but I could have played all the "hymns" on the organ even if just from a lead sheet.
  • It has also gotten to the stage where so many places either don't have an organ, or have a clapped-out electronic thing, or the "organ" is just an electric piano with an organ sound, that I am making negotiations to purchase a Roland C200, and to midify an old pedalboard so that I'll have a travelling "gig instrument."

It will be the modest choir scholarship I have from being in a Cathedral choir and any fees I might collect from singing as a cantor or playing for various masses/weddings/funerals which will have to pay for it over the next couple of years.
  • I've also looked into the "gig instrument" idea. I've often thought that a chopped B3 would be good, but that's due to economics: Hammonds are a dime-a-dozen where I'm from!
  • Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who teach/would like to teach the organ. As a beginning organ student, I appreciate the effort you make to hand down the joys of the instrument.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Please stop referring to playing at mass or sacred events as 'gigs'. This sounds absolutely trashy and disrespectful, nor does it convey that you yourself think too highly of your service to the Church. One could call it 'playing for mass', 'playing for a weddeing', or an 'engagement', or some other suitable term that infers that this is something very special.