Ave Maria (SATB, a cappella) – a new setting
  • Here's a setting that's very straight-forward. My aim was to present the prayer with clarity and simplicity, but also with a "mildly modern" sound and in four parts.

It's one page long – 1½ minutes' duration – no extreme ranges – no divisi.

Please feel free to download it, sing it in services or in paid performances. I'd love to hear of (and possibly hear!) the results. To date, this has only been sung publicly in Australia.

Here's a link to a multitrack recording by Matthew Curtis.

Best wishes – David Basden, Sydney
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What a stunning setting for all its simplicity. Kudos, and thank you.
    Thanked by 2DWBasden R J Stove
  • Very impressive, sir. For my part, I hope that the Leichhardt choir (I used to live near Leichhardt, as it happens, during the latter part of my Sydney days) appreciates the work and does it justice. I regret not having discovered your composing talent before this.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Many thanks for this simple but very touching arrangement. It's fresh-sounding and traditional at the same time. I esp. love the Amen and (being an alto) am most appreciative of the lovely flourishes for the alto at the cadences.
    Thanked by 2DWBasden R J Stove
  • Thank you all for your generous comments!

@JulieColl – yes, altos seem to miss out on occasion, so I always try to give them a little something.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Altos are like the work horses of the choir; they're not flashy but they do help "glue" things together.
  • Lovely piece, David. I will second Julie's observations on altos/mezzos and what woodwind players call 'grateful writing' for them.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Finally listened to it...

This is SO GOOD.
    Thanked by 2ryand DWBasden
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I love it, too. It's so peaceful, and I love the way the very gentle dissonances resolve at the end of each phrase.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have promoted this at the Cafe.

So basically you're famous now.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • Adam, Julie, Patricia – thanks again for those kind words!

Adam – thank you for the cafe post too – I didn't know there *was* a cafe. (If it wasn't 3:00 AM I'd wander in, grab a coffee, settle down with the crossword, etc, etc.)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    (If it wasn't 3:00 AM I'd wander in, grab a coffee, settle down with the crossword, etc, etc.)

It's a nice place, but we do try to keep the cross words to a minimum (not always successfully).
    Thanked by 2JulieColl DWBasden
  • CharlesW
    Love it! After the first of the year, my choir will begin working on it. By then we will have recovered from Christmas music.
  • kevinfkevinf
    What a lovely setting! Simplicity and yet transcendent beauty packed into a small package. Will do it after the first of the year. Already programmed the Rachmaninov Ave Maria for 4th Sunday of Advent. Wished I had found this sooner.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • Thank you @CharlesW and @Kevin in Kentucky!

(Funny thing is, due to a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and mishaps, I'd never heard this all the way through until I received Matthew Curtis's multitrack recording three weeks ago. I've still never heard an actual choir sing the piece in its well-under-two-minute entirety.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen R J Stove