• Is there anyone who knows a document that specifically says whether or not the Alleluia and Alleluia verse before the Gospel is to be omitted if not sung.

Is there anywhere that says definitively that "yes, the Alleluia is omitted if not sung" or "the Alleluia can be sung or spoken?"

The GIRM is unclear as is Musicam Sacram.
  • It's in GIRM 63:

63. When there is only one reading before the Gospel:

a) during a time of year when the Alleluia is prescribed, either an Alleluia Psalm or the Responsorial Psalm followed by the Alleluia with its verse may be used;

b) during a time of year when the Alleluia is not foreseen, either the Psalm and the Verse before the Gospel or the Psalm alone may be used;

c) the Alleluia or the Verse before the Gospel, if not sung, may be omitted.

A couple thoughts:

1. This really only applies when there is only one reading before the Gospel (i.e., ferial days).

2. It may, not must, be omitted.

I'm extrapolating here, but I suspect this is to offer the option of avoiding "back-to-back" responsorial psalms and Alleluias.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This has been covered before, but it's important to note that if the Alleluia is sung, it may not then be omitted.
  • Ignoto
    I agree with Andrew.

The Alleluia must be sung.

EXCEPTION: If there is only one reading before the Gospel, it may be omitted.
    The Alleluia must be sung unless there is only one reading before the Gospel (cf. 1981 OLM #90 "The chant between the second reading and the Gospel...").

CONCLUSION: At a Sunday Mass, an Alleluia/Lenten Gospel Acclamation must be sung.

This may actually be a case of progressive solemnity.

Easter Vigil with 3-7 readings before the Gospel = Sung Triple Alleluia
    Sunday Mass with 2 readings before the Gospel = Sung Alleluia
    Weekday Mass with 1 reading before the Gospel = option to omit Alleluia

• You would never omit the Alleluia at an Easter Vigil!
    • You must not omit the Alleluia/Lenten Gospel Acclamation at a Sunday Mass.
    • You may omit the Alleluia/Lenten Gospel Acclamation on the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter on Feb. 22, since there is only one reading before the Gospel.
  • Ignoto
    http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur197.htm
    Regarding the verse, EWTN has this commentary from ZENIT, 12-4-2007:

The very fact that it may be omitted if not sung is a strong enough indicator that the Church's intention is that whenever possible the Alleluia or other seasonal acclamation should always be sung.This singing can be done even if the verse between the Alleluias is recited because the reader lacks the requisite musical ability to chant it.

I would be interested in knowing if any of the documents discuss the idea that reciting the verse is okay if the Alleluia itself is sung. I haven't read that in any of the documents, but the ZENIT commentary does makes sense.
  • BenBen
    Never an excuse not to sing the verse. RECTO TONO.

Recto Tono Gospel Acclamations (Yanke).
    To be released early 2014.
  • Ignoto
    Unless Meloche beats you to the punch!
  • I would be interested in knowing if any of the documents discuss the idea that reciting the verse is okay if the Alleluia itself is sung.

I don't know if such a stipulation exists, but in GIRM 63 as quoted above, I would nitpick-ily interpret part C as meaning that you may recite it, since it may, not must, be omitted.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The RECTO TONO GOSPEL ACCLAMATIONS are already in my book.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    RECTO TONO is so ... ummm ... monotonous. Grins.