• Aaron
    I am planning on replacing the bells on our set that is rung during the elevation. It has a large center bell with four smaller bells. All bells ring when it is shaken. Rather than buying a new set, I would like to keep the handle and frame which is very sturdy, and just replace the bells. They are not high quality and not tuned. I have found a source for the bells but am looking for suggestions on what pitches to have it play. I thought if necessary one small bell could be the same pitch an octave higher than the large bell. But what about the remaining three? Are there some modal chords typically used for this?
  • I think you are overthinking this. Can't it just sound jangly? I would find a specific chord distracting.
  • It almost sounds like the bells are tuned in octaves and fifths, like a mixture on an organ, but pitched very high. That's not an expert opinion, but what I think I'm hearing.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I think you are overthinking this. Can't it just sound jangly?

Well, the modern world in a sense has ruined sanctus bells. Get the wrong bells and it sounds like a telephone ringing or a doorbell. Or worse, sleigh bells.
  • chonakchonak
    Whatever is chosen should be a sound considered beautiful. If we only wanted something attention-getting, then a buzzer or Sister's clicker would suffice.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • BenBen
    Indeed, as Scott says, just don't tune it to a major c chord or anything. See if there's any way to play around with the bells in person first, then you can try combinations.

I also like the idea of going for a "mixture" type sound, or possibly some sort of 5th. But really, that's just off the top of my head without hearing bells actually do that. It might sound horrible. I should really know this, I've been serving and MCing very regularly for almost 2/3 of my life :)

If at all possible, get some actual bells in your hands. Rule 1: make it beautiful, no matter how you make it so.

There's a nice 4-piece set of sanctus bells at the Cathedral. I can try and check it and see what the tuning is (if any) next time I'm there for Mass, since I can't picture it well enough in my head to recreate it.
  • Aaron
    What we hear now is not beautiful. They sound like cow bells.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Yes, I would definitely be irritated with that, Aaron.
  • I think the most important thing about your bells is, not their pitches, but their overall sound. You can (theoretically) get a bell made out of tinfoil set to a certain pitch. That's not saying tinfoil bells would ever sound good, of course. I've heard "untuned" bells with good timbre, and "tuned" bells that sound like tinfoil.

Get bells that sound good, and don't worry about the pitches they're at.
  • Aaron
    I can get good tuned bells from Malmark, but need to know what pitches to order them in.
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps you could choose the pitch in a way to guide the priest: what pitch does he need for "The mystery of faith"?
  • go for the buzzer.
  • francis
    Four Sets of Bells: (Ascending Pitches)

G, B, D, F# - Advent (spread of M7) (A new bell is added each week, similar to the Advent wreath) eg., G is sounded alone on the first Sunday, B,D and F# are muted. G and B are sounded on the second Sunday, etc.
    A, D, F#, B - Christmas (spread of M9) (both the Advent set and the Christmas set can be rung simultaneously for Midnight Mass)
    E, B, D#, G# - Ordinary Time (spread of M10)
    A, C#, B, E - Easter (spread of M12) (All four sets of bells can be rung for the Gloria on Holy Thursday and Easter Vigil)

The theology:
    -Advent is four weeks, close together each successively building toward Christmas. (successive thirds)
    -Christmas continues the successive interval building during Advent, and adds a final third in a joyous chord that resolves from Advent (IV) to Christmas (I six-four with an added ninth in tribute to the angelic realm)
    -Ordinay Time shifts to a completely different mood (mode) in a lower key
    -Easter similar to Christmas in range and tonality but has a larger spread boasting the number of Christian perfection (12)

download score

listen to simulation

(MT... and you thought Aaron was overthinking this one! :-} )
  • Aaron
    I ordered 5 bells- pitched at C5, C6, Eb6, F6, and Ab6. I choose the minor 3rds because of their use in the dialogue chants. They sound fantastic! Such a nice change from what we had.
  • BenBen
    @Francis
    Waaaay over engineered, but very cool. I love it!

The last one is particularly gaudy. Perfect for the circumstances.

How do you do it? Do you have different sets of bells that you put out for the servers around the year? or something else?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    If you look at the score, you will see four sets of four bells. Yep... WAAAAAAAAAAY over the top... probably be good for the church that has that huge thurifier. Twas a fun fantasy.
  • kenstb
    Francis,

Did you mean "thurible"? I've seen a few huge thurifers too...
  • francis
    hahaha...

yes. thurIBLE.