Choir mission statements
  • Our traditional parish is facing a new rector who wishes to implement changes that would take us away from all the work that has been done to develop a quality and faithful music ministry to a more 1980's "real meaning of VCII" including arm waving sisters and guitars. Our mission statement has been changed we are now there to "empower" the congregation. I hope that some of you may have good choir mission statements and goals that reflect what the Pope Emeritus wrote in "the spirit of the liturgy". Can anyone help before the situation becomes one past reconciliation and we loose most of the choir?
  • CharlesW
    If you are the music director, its time to be looking for another job. I don't think a mission statement will make any difference to this guy.
  • Blaise
    I will pray that you find another position. I am leery of anything which smacks of the "real meaning of VCII" or so called "empowering the congregation". As a former member of several congregations with these kinds of mission statements, I smell smoke.
  • ronkrisman
    From what you have written, the new rector has not yet arrived. Stop crying "wolf" over rumors you may have heard. First, schedule an appointment to talk to the man as soon as he is on board.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Do hear the new guy out, which is always good advice. However, if you hear terms like:

Spirit of Vatican II
    full and active participation
    empowerment
    NPM
    pastoral musician (I have yet to figure out what the "H" that one means)
    music the congregation can sing

grab anything of value to you and beat a hasty retreat to the nearest exit. Or at least, start looking for a new job more to your liking. It is likely you will not like the place where you are much longer.
  • WJA
    From what you have written, the new rector has not yet arrived. Stop crying "wolf" over rumors you may have heard. First, schedule an appointment to talk to the man as soon as he is on board.

@ Original Poster: Has he arrived or hasn't he? "Facing" suggests maybe he hasn't, but "Our mission statement has been changed" suggests he has, assuming he's the one who changed it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    come now, I bet I can fashion a totally orthodox mission statement using all those words...
  • CharlesW
    come now, I bet I can fashion a totally orthodox mission statement using all those words...

Yes, but you are a liberal. It would be suspect. LOL. (purple bold)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It sounds like the new rector is already there, if he's already changed the choir's mission statement.

I would have a meeting with him and try to get the meaning behind this statement out in clear terms. Don't listen to those who are warning of IMPENDING DOOM. Everything might turn out really great.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In the true Spirit of Vatican II, we employ the traditional music of the Roman Rite, in order to foster full and active participation of all the faithful. In addition to the fine choral and schola music provided by our truly pastoral musicians, we have found a sense of empowerment by also programming music the congregation can (actually) sing, such as traditional hymns and simpler Gregorian Ordinaries.

(one left....)

To help publicize this work, and to further the Reform of the Reform outside our parish, our music team has also hired a web developer well known in the Open Source community as one of the lead contributors to the NPM project.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl canadash
  • WJA

The mission of the choir is to (1) study and sing Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphony as envisioned by the Spirit of Vatican II; (2) foster full and active participation of the laity by teaching them to chant the parts of the Mass and other similar music the congregation can sing; (3) foster the empowerment of sacred musicians by instilling in them knowledge and appreciation of, and by educating them about resources for studying, Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphony provided by myriad organizations such as the NPM and CMAA; and (4) train a new generation of pastoral musicians faithful to the Magisterium and knowledgeable about Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphony.
  • CharlesW
    I still hate the term, "Pastoral Musician." It's kind of like calling a prostitute a "Hospitality Coordinator." LOL. I am happy to be called a Director of Music/Organist. It needs no embellishment, nor does it need to be semi-clericalized.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • BenBen
    Pastoral musician also puts up flags for me, just like when there's some lady in the parish called the "Pastoral associate." What the heck is that?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • canadashcanadash
    Pastoral musician also puts up flags for me, just like when there's some lady in the parish called the "Pastoral associate." What the heck is that?

It doesn't matter. What matters is that the lingo is used and that all are satisfied they can work together. It was the same thing when I wrote report cards. The poor parents had no idea what I was talking about.
  • In other denominations of more sensibility, it is tradition for all to hand in resignations when a new pastor is named. He has the option to beg you to stay or to thank your for your service and show you to the door.
  • In other denominations of more sensibility, it is tradition for all to hand in resignations when a new pastor is named.

As someone with a wife and children to feed, "sensibility" isn't what comes to mind when I read this suggestion.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Motyka for President of NPM.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    A chicken in every pot - or pot in every chicken - or something like that. ;-) (purple bold)
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • What Charles and Noel Said.

If you think enough of the people at the Parish support your traditional orthodox faith and praxis, you might consider meeting together with the new Pastor. Their is great strength in numbers.

I've heard that enough people being made unhappy can change the priests mind, but otherwise - time for a new job...yes.. It's always sad to be thrown out , resigning is easier and more pleasant. Plus, if you resign and no one in the parish minds, well what point would there be continuing trying to improve it?

If the majority of lay people are complacent and ignorant about their faith it's not going to be very strong anyway. How Our Lord manages control of the Church and works His miracles is amazing and beyond me.

The Catholic Church has to be a grassroots affair.

The yearning for the genuine faith and tradition must comes from the bottom up.
    And must also be handed down with favourable reception down to those below from the hierarchy at the top.
  • The notion of "mission statements" in church is absurd anyway. A church in my home cluster has one, and they read the silly thing out loud before every Mass. Every church has only one mission: to get souls to Heaven. Likewise, every music program has as its mission aiding in the salvation of the souls of the congregation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. -Mat 28:19

He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
    but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?
    -Mic 6:8

For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you
    -John 13:15

----------------

many mission. such statement. the bible.

wow
    Thanked by 3Blaise matthewj ryand
  • ryandryand
    such doge

wow

very meme

loldoge

dat stare

wow
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood