question re: exposition at vespers
  • lmassery
    Hi All,
    We have a vespers coming up and the priest would like to begin it with exposition, and the benediction will come at the end. My question is, can the Sacrament be exposed during the Vespers Hymn that comes after "God come to my assistance..." Or, should exposition happen first with a hymn (like O Salutaris), then the "O God, Come to My assistance", then the Vespers hymn. I would rather combine the exposition and hymn than sing 2 different hymns back to back. Can I?
  • I don't know what the hard and fast rule is, but in my experience with Vespers before the Blessed Sacrament, we've done the rite of exposition first, including "O salutaris" and the incensing, then Vespers proper began with, "O God, come to my assistance..." and the Vespers hymn.

Incidentally, Vespers would then conclude after the Collect (following the Lord's Prayer) and you would move into the rite of Benediction, starting with the "Tantum ergo," etc.

I hope this helps!
  • redsox1
    According to "Order for the Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist" (1992 USCC): #39. "If the blessed sacrament is not exposed, the deacon (or, in his absence, a priest, even the presiding minister) brings it to the altar and places it in the monstrance.
    #40. The presiding minister then goes to the altar and, after placing incense in the censer, kneels and incenses the holy eucharist. Meanwhile, a suitable song may be sung by the people, in which case the hymn at #42 below (Office Hymn), is omitted."
  • lmassery
    Poifect, thank you!
  • At our cathedral, when vespers is combined with Exposition, Exposition starts only after the collect of vespers. A hymn is sung (Pange lingua), then follows a period of silent adoration. Then starts Benediction with Tantum ergo.
  • According to "Order for the Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist"

That book (AKA "the green book") is your friend. Get that book.
  • From memory, we've always exposed the blessed saceament before the invitatory, singing O Salutaris Hostia, though we've gone with the version set to the same tune as Jesu Dulcis Memoria. Vespers is then rhe liturgical action of worship. Benediction comes somewhere near the end, I forgot exactly where though.
  • BenBen
    I've always seen exposition, then the office.
  • chonakchonak
    There are two legitimate practices:
    (a) to conduct the two services in sequence: first Vespers, then Exposition/Adoration/Benediction;
    (b) Vespers celebrated before the Blessed Sacrament exposed.

There's a discussion of the latter option here:
    http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur166.htm
    In that column, the EWTN liturgy expert Fr. McNamara quotes Bp. Elliott's "Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite".
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • A most excellent book which every sacristan, liturgist and organist should be familiar with.