Pre-Pian Vesperal Psalter
  • Happy Feast Day,

Over a year ago I started working on a typesetting project, where I hoped to produce a booklet for weekly Vespers according to the pre-Pian (pre-1911) Roman Psalter, using music from Solesmes editions that included the 'rhythmic signs'. I began doing this simply to see for myself what the Divine Office was like before all the psalms got moved around. I recently had a bit of time on my hands though, which I used to graduate from cutting and pasting print-screened plainchant images into Word documents, to doing everything in gregorio + Latex. I'm still learning, but I'm pretty happy with my results so far, so I thought I'd share in case anyone is interested.

My new document includes not just the ferial psalms and antiphons, but also:

-hymns (pre-Urban VIII text, apologies if anyone had a special devotion to the gods on Mt Olympus, Liber Usualis melodies, with extra seasonal melodies for use ad libitum from the Antiphonale Monasticum),
    -"pointed" psalm text wherever possible for ease of singing,
    -ferial Magnificat antiphons,
    -Preces feriales,
    -Tridentine commemorations,

and some ornamentation that I had fun with, such as an oversize 4-colour letter D. Essentially, all parts of the Office are laid out clearly, and all the music is there for an entirely sung Dominical/Semiduplex, Simplex or Ferial Vespers per annum, with the appropriate orations or Magnificat antiphons supplied from another source (like a Liber Usualis).

There were many aesthetic choices made regarding which editions/settings of the chant to include: overall more music from Benedictine sources was used. The psalm tones, it will be noticed, are Benedictine not Roman. There were 5 ferial antiphons that did not appear in any of my Solesmes sources. I obtained music for these from these guys. The order of Vespers is strictly Roman however: I resisted the temptation to include the responsoria brevia that come before the hymn in the monastic office.

For the future I still hope to:
    -make a version with English rubrics,
    -include Compline,
    -sort out the issue with some of the quilismas, where they end up separate from the preceding note.

If you happen to find this interesting and end up looking through, please let me know of any comments or criticism you might have (besides the obvious: that it's an anachronism), or any typos, rubrical errors, Latin errors, psalm-pointing errors, or other mistakes I might have made.

Bernard Stockermans

December 2015 Edit:
    I've uploaded a version that includes Compline and some corrections here and there. I've also uploaded a bilingual version of just Sunday Vespers and Compline (for every day outside of Eastertide).
    Thanked by 2tomjaw JonathanKK
  • Strange to have the page numbers in roman numerals when other things (e.g., psalm numbers) are in arabic. Makes it look like the whole thing's a foreword.
  • Impressive. :-)

Yeah maybe the page numbers should stay in arabic style. Roman numbers are usually for the introductory pages.
    One detail: at Sunday Vespers maybe you should put the first verse of psalm 109. The thing of not singing the first verse when it is the same as the antiphon comes from the 1961 changes in the Breviary. And if you look at the Solesmes 1891 Liber Antiphonarius (Monasticum) you will see the first verse is written:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/mar/19/1891-pothier-antiphonale/ (page 84)
    It is the same in the 1897 Antiphonale Romanum.

Otherwise very nice work, with all the italic and bold syllables: the old books do not have the font styling. You did it with Latex?!

Of course you know the next question people are going to ask you: how about a 1961 Vesperale Romanum? Or even better: the big 1961 Antiphonale Romanum? :-)
  • joerg
    BTW: The pre 1911 Roman vesperal is available in a Solesmes Edition, too:
    Liber antiphonarius pro Vesperis et Completorio
    (But Your Edition, benstox, looks much better!)
    There's also a similar volume fort Lauds.
    Thanked by 1benstox
  • @joerg: yes you are right, I forgot these ones. In 1891 Solesmes published 3 books: 1 Monastic Antiphonale and 2 for the Roman Office. Here is an updated list:

Solesmes "Antiph. M." – No. 819: Monastic Antiphonale
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/mar/19/1891-pothier-antiphonale/

Solesmes "V. R." – No. 824: Roman Antiphonale (Vespers and Compline)
    http://archive.org/details/liberantiphonar00ritugoog
    https://archive.org/download/liberantiphonar00ritugoog/liberantiphonar00ritugoog.pdf
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/gal.php?dir=1891_liber_antiphonarius_vesp_compl

Solesmes "H. D." – No. 825: Roman Antiphonale (Lauds and Little Hours)
    http://archive.org/details/libriantiphonari00cath
    https://archive.org/download/libriantiphonari00cath/libriantiphonari00cath.pdf
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/gal.php?dir=1891_liber_antiphonarius_laud_horis
    Thanked by 2benstox igneus
  • BGP
    Jacques- are you sure about the repeat/not repeat of the first verse when it is identical to the Ant. pre 1961

Im pretty sure that while the verse is usually printed, the rubrics say not to repeat.
  • Wow, thanks for pointing these books out to me. The Vespers & Compline even seems to have different settings for those five antiphons I was missing. I wish I had found them much earlier!

Page number style is easy enough to change though.

That is very interesting also what you've pointed out about the first verse of the Dixit Dominus. If I am interpreting page 84 of the 1891 Antiphonal correctly though, it looks to me as if at the start of the psalm, only the text "Dixit Dominus" is sung according to the melody of the antiphon. It is followed immediately by the remainder of the verse "Domino meo : Sede a dextris meis." sung to the psalm tone, after the rubric Cantor :. Then, since outside of Eastertide "Domino ... dextris meis" has already been sung according to the psalm tone, the second verse would begin: "Donec ponam ...". I realize that the first verse is printed again in the main body of psalm text, but my instinct would be that this is only there for Eastertide, when all five psalms are governed by the one "Alleluia" antiphon. Are you sure that the text "Dixit Dominus ... dextris meis." should be sung twice, or have I misunderstood what you are saying?
  • Yeah, I am not an expert about these rubrics, especially when they date back in time. Sorry for that.

But I remember this page lxi at the beginning of the 1961 Liber Usualis:
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/p.php?p=LUlxi
    It says: « When a psalm or canticle begins with the same words as those of the antiphon, those words are not repeated, and the psalm or canticle is begun at the word that follows those of the antiphon; provided alleluia is not to be added to the antiphon. »
    It is part of a big chapter called "Changes in the Liber Usualis" (page li in the LU) based on the 1960 Vatican "Rubricae Breviarii et Missalis romanii".
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/p.php?p=LUli

So I thought probably before it was the opposite: the words of the psalm or canticle would be said/sung all the time. And in 1960 they decide to dust the whole breviary, remove repeated phrases, make it shorter, etc.

So if I was wrong: apologies for speaking too quickly. My bad. :-)
  • Jacques: No worries. There certainly are a lot of instructions that have changed though since 1911, as you say! I had a lot of trouble trying to get my head around when all the Commemorationes communes should be sung.
  • How did you do the double-line initials in Gregorio/Latex?
  • When a psalm or canticle begins with the same words as the antiphon or the intonation of the self, they are not repeated. That is nothing new from 1960. It is explicitly mentioned in the Tridentine Breviary (really tridentine, from the late 16th century) in Sunday Matins at the first occurrence in the Psalter. The innovation from 1960 was to always sing the antiphon entirely before and after the psalm, whereas traditionally it was sung entirely only on Double feasts and above, whereas on Semidouble and Simple feasts as well as Sundays and Ferias the antiphon was only intoned before the psalm and sung in its entirety after the psalm.
  • InnocentOP: Let me attach a little template for making oversize initials. An out-of-date command \setbiginitial is mentioned here on the gregorio website. At some point it was changed to \gresetbiginitial and the website was never updated. Fortunately it does mention that the ends of lines (or at least two ends of lines) must be specified in your score (with the gabc z). If you don't do this you will end up with all lines of your score indented, not just the first two. Another thing that is important: \gresetbiginitial doesn't quite cancel itself out after it's been used for one score. This is a little bit hard to describe, but in my vespers document, for I long time I ended up with funny "holes" in every score where an oversize initial would have been, but without actually printing oversize initials anywhere but in the Dixit Dominus. Confining \gresetbiginitial to the interior of some curly braces stopped this for some reason:

{\gresetbiginitial
    \includescore{resurrexi_score.tex}

}

Size is easy to adjust with:

\def\greinitialformat#1{%
    {\fontsize{43}{43}\selectfont #1}%
    }

\def\grebiginitialformat#1{%
    {\fontsize{120}{120}\selectfont #1}%
    }

In this way you can have a default big initial size and a default normal initial size throughout your multi-score document, as I've done in my Resurrexi example attached.

Lastly, the default position of the oversize initial and the text above the initial are not great, but using a couple of \raiseboxs I sorted them out too. One of them was placed inside the .tex score file of the Resurrexi introit. The .pdf attached should show you what it looks like and the .rar should contain all the code I used to make it. There might be easier ways to do these things, but this is what I've managed to figure out by trial and error.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Regarding the quilismas, just put an exclamation point ! before the note to be quilisma-ed, e.g. : (h!iwj)

Good to hear someone else having a go with Gregorio & TeX !
    Thanked by 1benstox
  • JonathanKK: Wonderful, that seems to work. Thanks so much!
  • I've added added an updated version of this project into the first post. It now includes Compline and some corrections to the Vespers I uploaded two years ago. An interesting feature of the Pre-1911 Compline is the inclusion of 6 verses from Psalm 30 in between Psalms 4 and 90.

I've also made a bilingual version of just Sunday Vespers and Compline (for every day) which I've attached above. It uses (or tries to use!) eledmac and eledpar, LaTeX packages for producing critical editions, to set the Latin and English on facing pages. Although they're very messy, if anyone wants the code for these projects I've made Github repositories here and here.
  • tomjaw
    Ben
    They look great... Although I prefer the shorter line lengths, so I set my chant on A5, that gives a chant size and line length similar to the Graduale. N.B. The Liber and other books use a smaller size.

I also have a Compline book (pre 1911), with translation, that has a few more melodies for the Te lucis...
    Thanked by 1benstox
  • Beautiful!