• In the OF, is it permissible to use a common (seasonal) psalm on a Feast Day? Specifically, for the Feast of St. Luke on Friday. The Lectionary psalm is rather difficult for school children to sing and if I am allowed to substitute I will; otherwise, we will most likely recite it (sigh). I am not given much rehearsal time with the children, so I like using common psalms where I can. I read through a previous thread on selecting psalm and I didn't see a definitive answer. Thanks all.
  • Yes, this is allowed. GIRM 61 says:

"In order, however, that the people may be able to sing the Psalm response more readily, texts of some responses and Psalms have been chosen for the various seasons of the year or for the various categories of Saints. These may be used in place of the text corresponding to the reading whenever the Psalm is sung."
  • GIRM ¶61 gives the permission: "However, in order that the people may be able to sing the Psalm response more easily, texts of some responses and Psalms have been chosen for the different times of the year or for the different categories of Saints. These may be used instead of the text corresponding to the reading whenever the Psalm is sung." (emphasis added for your particular question)

Below is the list of common psalms for the Common of Holy Men and Women (Lectionary for Mass #739).

R/. Blessed are they who hope in the Lord. or
    R/. Blessed are they who delight in the law of the Lord. or
    R/. The just will flourish like the palm tree in the garden of the Lord.
    w/Ps 1:1-2, 3, 4+6

R/. The just one shall live on your holy mountain, O Lord.
    w/Ps 15:2-3ab, 3cd-4ab, 5

R/. You are my inheritance, O Lord.
    w/Ps 16:1-2a+5, 7-8, 11

R/. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
    w/Ps 23:1-3, 4, 5, 6
    (N.B. Fr. Just's index currently omits this option.)

R/. I will bless the Lord at all times. or
    R/. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
    w/Ps 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11

R/. O bless the Lord, my soul!
    w/Ps 103:1-2, 3-4, 8-9, 13-14, 17-18a

R/. Blessed the man who fears the Lord. or
    R/. Alleluia.
    w/Ps 112:1-2, 3-4, 5-7a, 7b-8, 9

R/. Blessed are those who fear the Lord.
    w/Ps 128:1-2, 3, 4-5

R/. In you, Lord, I have found my peace.
    w/Ps 131:1, 2, 3
  • Thank you so much!!! I had Psalm 34 already prepared with the children, so that is what we will go with. Thanks again :)