• SalieriSalieri
    Dear Friends on the Forum:

I would like to ask for all of your prayers for a very difficult time I am having (personal). I will not divulge details; suffice to say I am incredibly depressed, and am seriously considering giving up music all together, but especially church/choral/organ work. This pains me more than I can say, because I have devoted all of my time, energy and talents to the glorification of God and the splendour of His Temple; but right now I am feeling burnt out, and want to leave it all -- including, possibly, the Church. If you could find it in your charity to say a prayer or two for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Henry R. Gaida
  • Prayers. May The Lord give you strength through this trial.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for you.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thoughts and prayers coming your way here. If it's any help, it always seems when I'm the most stressed out and frustrated and things look their bleakest, that light and hope are right around the corner. I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to throw in the towel on a Sunday morning and then something amazing happens to give us encouragement and God's "seal of approval" that we stay on mission. Hang in there, Henry!

Just this past Sunday, I dragged myself to church, feeling particularly overwhelmed and wondering why on earth we are working our tails off to run a music program and spending hours every weekend when there is so much else in our lives to attend to, and then, lo and behold, some dear old friends showed up, some offers of help popped up and the prospect of a much-needed alto appeared out of the blue. To top things off, when I finally had a moment to look at the altar, I realized we had eleven altar boys surrounding Father at the Agnus Dei. After Mass, I discovered that I had missed the smallest one and there were twelve!

• irishtenoririshtenor
    You are in my prayers, Henry. Don't give up. Your work is tremendously important.
  • canadashcanadash
    Prayers Henry. That's my son's name, so I won't forget yours.
  • Praying for you.
  • Dear Henry,

You are most definitely assured of my prayers as well! I am too, going through something probably very similar, and am considering the very thing your considering as well. Take comfort that you aren't alone. There are probably others on here going through the same thoughts.

CB
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I am feeling burnt out, and want to leave it all -- including, possibly, the Church.

That's exactly what Satan wants for you. Don't give in.

God Bless You.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • melofluentmelofluent
    To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded
    . Bessie Anderson Stanley (1904)
    Henry, didn't you set Adam's Mass to SATB? It was lovely! It brought out beauty and the best in our choir. You have contributed so much here that must pale by comparison to what you've given your family , friends and parish. You must have sung exultantly, maybe even the Exultet! Mrs. Stanley and even Mr. Emerson would call you successful!
    Wendy and I pray, with saints and angels and in His Name that the breath of inspiration may reawaken your soul from its heavy burdens, and that the arms of our BVM give your mind and heart a haven of rest. Through Christ, amen.
  • francis
    Henry

We stand with you. Take courage from the scriptures:

12 1 And therefore we also having so great a cloud of witnesses over our head, laying aside every weight and sin which surrounds us, let us run by patience to the fight proposed to us: ideoque et nos tantam habentes inpositam nubem testium deponentes omne pondus et circumstans nos peccatum per patientiam curramus propositum nobis certamen
    12 2 Looking on Jesus, the author and finisher of faith, who, having joy set before him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and now sitteth on the right hand of the throne of God. aspicientes in auctorem fidei et consummatorem Iesum qui pro proposito sibi gaudio sustinuit crucem confusione contempta atque in dextera sedis Dei sedit
    12 3 For think diligently upon him that endured such opposition from sinners against himself that you be not wearied, fainting in your minds. recogitate enim eum qui talem sustinuit a peccatoribus adversum semet ipsos contradictionem ut ne fatigemini animis vestris deficientes
    12 4 For you have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. nondum usque ad sanguinem restitistis adversus peccatum repugnantes
    12 5 And you have forgotten the consolation which speaketh to you, as unto children, saying: My son, neglect not the discipline of the Lord: neither be thou wearied whilst thou art rebuked by him. et obliti estis consolationis quae vobis tamquam filiis loquitur dicens fili mi noli neglegere disciplinam Domini neque fatigeris dum ab eo argueris
    12 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chastiseth: and he scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. quem enim diligit Dominus castigat flagellat autem omnem filium quem recipit
    12 7 Persevere under discipline. God dealeth with you as with his sons. For what son is there whom the father doth not correct? in disciplina perseverate tamquam filiis vobis offert Deus quis enim filius quem non corripit pater
    12 8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are made partakers, then are you bastards and not sons. quod si extra disciplinam estis cuius participes facti sunt omnes ergo adulteri et non filii estis
    12 9 Moreover, we have had fathers of our flesh for instructors, and we reverenced them. Shall we not much more obey the Father of spirits and live? deinde patres quidem carnis nostrae habuimus eruditores et reverebamur non multo magis obtemperabimus Patri spirituum et vivemus
    12 10 And they indeed for a few days, according to their own pleasure, instructed us: but he, for our profit, that we might receive his sanctification. et illi quidem in tempore paucorum dierum secundum voluntatem suam erudiebant nos hic autem ad id quod utile est in recipiendo sanctificationem eius
    12 11 Now all chastisement for the present indeed seemeth not to bring with it joy, but sorrow: but afterwards it will yield to them that are exercised by it the most peaceable fruit of justice. omnis autem disciplina in praesenti quidem videtur non esse gaudii sed maeroris postea autem fructum pacatissimum exercitatis per eam reddit iustitiae
    12 12 Wherefore, lift up the hands which hang down and the feeble knees: propter quod remissas manus et soluta genua erigite
    12 13 And make straight steps with your feet: that no one, halting, may go out of the way; but rather be healed. et gressus rectos facite pedibus vestris ut non claudicans erret magis autem sanetur
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Henry, I cannot really say anything better than has already been said above. But I have been greatly enriched by getting to know you through your valuable contributions here.

If there is anything at all that I can do to help, even if only to listen to you and pray with you, please do not hesitate to PM me (your private email and/or phone number). I, too, have had personal issues, albeit of a different sort, that have made it necessary to step back from a few of my musical activities recently.

Rest assured, my fervent prayers are with you at this difficult time when it must be exceedingly difficult to discern the Lord's will for you.

Chuck
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Add my prayers.
  • shawnk
    I shall pray for you, as well. Perhaps some rest or a vacation might help to put things in perspective?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Many thanks to all of you. Your kindness and concern means a great deal to me; and I cannot express how deeply many of these comments have touched me as I have struggled through these past couple of days. Please, please, continue to pray for me; I will pray for you. - Henry.