Proper Use of the Cope & Organist/Choir Vestments
  • I dispute whether cassock and surplice are strictly clerical attire. Servers wear them all the time.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Um, we know what albs are; but um, what is a 'choir robe'?
    Curious, too, is that the alb, the attire of priests and properly dressed acolytes, is apparently considered non clerical, whilst c&s, which is choir habit, is implied to be strictly clerical. I would read the word 'recommended' as operational in this odd assertion. For Anglican Use Catholics, whose choirs wear choir habit, there exists no problem.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    Luckily, STTL has no intrinsic authority. Moving on...

I'm all for C&S for a choir, for the men. A men's schola that I'm in recently did so, and it looks pretty awesome.
  • Luckily, STTL has no intrinsic authority.

Ben, I beg to differ. STTL was approved for publication by the full body of bishops at its November 2007 General Meeting. Yes, it was published as guidelines, and not liturgical law.

But in my estimation, any document approved by the full body of our bishops deserves serious consideration and respect, and does reflect an intrinsic authority of sorts, whether that document is about liturgical music, social justice issues, or other areas of concern.

The authority of Episcopal Conferences is something very real, as mentioned in documents of the Second Vatican Council.
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • Andrew: Aren't altar servers functionally acolytes?
  • BenBen
    Father, if they felt so strongly that it should be "important for our serious consideration and respect", then why was it not submitted to Rome, so that it could gain our respect as legitimate liturgical law?

Probably because they knew it'd be rejected, if you ask me. Try finding another plausible reason. That seems pretty obvious by the fact that it included things that were directly contrary to the Missal, so much that Rome even saw a need to change them. If they can't even sort out basic things like that (or, as was more likely, they could, and decided to disobediently put it in there anyways), then it deserves no respect from me.

I hate to be so cynical, but it's worked pretty well: they put together a document that couldn't pass as liturgical law, but still wanting it to be out there, they decide to publish it on their own. While it technically has no authority, many (most?) still treat it like it does, leaving it in a state of faux-law difficult to argue against, yet easy to spread.

This is kind of like the USCCB's page on the Holy Thursday Mandatum. It directly contradicts both the Missal's text AND the CDW's clarification of the question. Yet it remained online still, available by a quick search on the USCCB's site for either "foot washing" or "holy thursday". I won't even link to it. Just go to their site, and you can find it in 20 seconds. First thing that comes up.

Again, while this document has no authority on it's own, simply being published under the header of the USCCB gives it an air of authority, just like you say STTL should have authority. This is particularly disturbing, because again, it directly contradicts the rubrics of the missal, and in the case of the Holy Thursday mandatum page, it even admits that this is so ("While this variation may differ from the rubric of the Sacramentary which mentions only men...[feel free to do it anyway]"), EVEN AFTER being corrected by the CDW.

If they wanted the document to have authority and respect, they should have submitted it to the CDW. As it stands, they refused to do so, so it will have no such respect from me.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    If STTL ever holds authority, I'll take a job in Europe.

Thank you, Fr. Chepponis, for pointing that out, though. I have read and considered that statement; but I believe the statement is contradicted in any rubrics that speak to vesture. I don't have the Missal or other liturgical books in front of me, but am I correct in saying it actually calls for cassock and surplice when a cantor proclaims the Epiphany proclamation or the Exsultet?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Regardless of STTL's "authority," I think it is well worth considering: It represents the thinking and interpretation of the relevant issues by the Bishops. Dismissing it out of hand seems as imprudent as following its counsel blindly. The thinking should at least be considered as part of the range of inputs one uses for figuring out what is the best approach in your particular situation.

That being said, I disagree with the thinking regarding C&S for choirs.

Also, I think trying to find documentary support for every single liturgical practice is a little...um.. what's word? ... something. It's definitely something.

Anyone know what the rules say about organ shoes? Paper color for printed programs? Whether pews should be cushioned or not?
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Andrew: Aren't altar servers functionally acolytes?

They function as acolytes, but are not installed ordained, and hence not ministers clerics. My cantor might intone the Penitential Act in the absence of a deacon, but that doesn't mean he can wear a dalmatic.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that doesn't mean he can wear a dalmatic.

Dang. I better call Almy and cancel my order...
  • ronkrisman
    Andrew, you usually do a fine job responding to questions of a liturgical nature. I'm afraid I'd have to give you an "F" ("D" if I'm in a generous mood) for your last response!

Of course altar servers are liturgical ministers. However, most of them have not been "instituted" as acolytes. (Many parishes have commissioning or installation ceremonies for their altar servers, but this is not the Rite of Institution of Acolytes.)

And instituted acolytes are not clerics, either. Prior to 15 August 1972 a seminarian entered the clerical state (became a member of the clergy) with the liturgical rite of tonsure. But with his motu proprio Ministeriam Quaedam, Pope Paul IV suppressed tonsure, the four minor orders and the subdiaconate. The instituted ministries of reader and acolyte were established, but they were not "clerical" ministries. Henceforth, a man entered the clerical state through ordination to the order of deacons.

The vestment common to all liturgical ministers is the alb, and not the vestments placed over the alb (stole, dalmatic, chasuble) and worn by ordained ministers. A surplice/cotta is actually a mini-alb.
  • Pardon my lack of precision. I wrote "ministers" when I meant "clerics" (and you are correct to observe that even instituted acolytes are not clerics).

My point is that even instituted acolytes wear cassock & surplice with regularity, and have not been contradicted by a bishops' instruction.

The vestment common to all liturgical ministers is the alb, and not the vestments placed over the alb (stole, dalmatic, chasuble) and worn by ordained ministers. A surplice/cotta is actually a mini-alb.

Now we're getting somewhere! Why, then, should the choir (serving in liturgical ministry) be disallowed from wearing the mini-alb?
  • ronkrisman
    Why, then, should the choir (serving in liturgical ministry) be disallowed from wearing the mini-alb?

Funny thing about the cassock and surplice/cotta. The cassock is a piece of clerical clothing, often described as "choir dress" but in previous centuries actually donned as the normal clothing - indoors or outdoors, in church/chapel or outside it - for all clerics. The surplice is a shortened alb; thus, it is a variation on a liturgical vestment. But this shortening of the alb took place well after all liturgical ministries had been assumed by tonsured clerics. So a cotta was always worn over a cassock, the cleric's normal outer garment. But it was an in-church, liturgical vestment; a cleric did not wear cassock and surplice to the town market, just the cassock (and any outerwear required for inclement weather).

When untonsured boys (non-clerics) substituted for tonsured acolytes (clerics) to serve Mass, the former adopted the vesture of the latter, even though the cassock was clerical dress. The same thing happened when lay choirs of men and boys substituted for scholae cantorum comprised of tonsured clerics.

So, historically, the practice of having the cassock worn only by clerics saw a rupture a few hundred years ago when lay men and boys began wearing it and the surplice for certain liturgical functions. I suppose one could argue for that rupture to be extended now to girls and women who serve at the altar or sing in the choir.

My preference is to see the cassock returned to an exclusive use by the clergy. I believe that's what STTL is recommending as well when it addresses the issue of choir dress. And yes, Andrew, as far as I know there's been no statement from the U.S. bishops or from the Apostolic See saying that instituted readers and acolytes should not wear the cassock and surplice when they are performing their liturgical ministry. Even so, I think it would be better if they wore an alb instead.

Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There was some point in the past when cassocks became non-exclusive to clerics.
    My question would then be... at what point prior to that did they become exclusive to clerics.
  • I can be on board with that thinking, Father, for consistency's sake. After all, I also think it's weird for women to wear a cassock. It stems from the same place.

Either non clerics are allowed to wear the cassock, in which case the choir could, or only clerics should, in which case servers should not. We have it both ways now.
  • Regarding Sing to the Lord:

The problem with dismissing it out of hand is that it is co-authored by a number of bishops and approved by a majority of bishops. Who are the Church (in the hierarchical sense)? Yes, I know someone will say "we are ALL the Church!" Well, yes ... but again, when we speak of who the legislators and interpreters and chief liturgists are, who IS the Church? The bishops!

It is not as though a group of academic liturgists wrote the document. Then you could say "Well, they can suppose what they want, but it's not backed up by the Roman Missal and they have no authority." This was written by a combination of real Church authorities.

It is walking a REAL fine line, in my opinion, to begin arguing about definitions of documents and canon law in terms of which item has more weight, etc. Those arguments seem, to me, more academic and more suited to a canon law class.

The bottom line is this: rest assured that if Rome had real problems with the contents of that document, it would be GONE. Especially under Pope Benedict, under whom it came out. If Pope Benedict had taken exception to it, you would not be hearing about Sing to the Lord anymore. And please don't say "Rome isn't aware of what it says." Sure they are. In fact, in one area in which Rome DID take exception, tropes for the Agnus Dei, they stepped in and said "fix that." And the USCCB did.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Chris Hebard
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I think the fact that Rome needed to "fix" something as simple as that speaks volumes to how liturgy has devolved under the direction of the USCCB in recent years. I read somewhere (probably here) that we are missing the ROMAN part of being Roman Catholic and I think the text of this document entirely demonstrates the fact that we are rapidly becoming AMERICAN Catholic and departing from the greater church. Are there a excellent parts of that document that I appreciate? Sure. Are there a number of others that I feel are completely in conflict with the universal church? Absolutely.
    This attitude could be because of my experience with many Bishops that are absolutely clueless when it comes to liturgy. So much so that I feel the church might be better served with a group of liturgists and musicians from the CMAA rewriting (read: correcting) the document. My sense is that the American bishops are perhaps not the most qualified to be speaking about liturgy and music. I recognize this is an arrogant statement, but just because one is ordained does not mean they are the most qualified and educated in these subjects. Do they have the authority? Yes. I wonder, though, that if Rome "fixed" the tropes issue, how many other areas of the document were questioned but left alone as "passable" rather than ideal?
  • The bishops don't operate in a vacuum. When Sing to the Lord was in draft form, having been distributed to the bishops to look over, I was handed a copy by - someone - asking for my thoughts on it. This someone wanted my input, and probably the input of others as well, before they gave the bishop THEIR input, so that he could go back to vote on it.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    That's good to know. Thanks. I admit I don't know much about process, but I do know I'm really not the biggest fan of the document. :)
  • It is not as though a group of academic liturgists wrote the document.

Just a nitpick: actually, it was. It was written by a commission, including Leo Nestor, Fr. Anthony Ruff, and a whole mixed bag of personalities (and frankly, it reads like it).

Now, it was approved by the bishops, and so carries due weight. We can't just disregard the document, but it is fine to recognize it as non-legislative as long as you are aware that are departing from it.

It is walking a REAL fine line, in my opinion, to begin arguing about definitions of documents and canon law in terms of which item has more weight, etc.

I don't agree here. If a document such as STTL conflicted, directly or in emphasis, from an established liturgical norm that carried legislative weight, it's quite important indeed to recognize which is the leading document. This doesn't seem to be the case with STTL, but I can imagine a case where it might be.
  • chonakchonak
    Bill Mahrt's review of STTL is on-line at http://musicasacra.com/commentaries/sttl/
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Wow. Nail on the head. Only about halfway through reading, but already feel as if I could have written it myself!
  • I should have been more precise.

What I intended to convey was that it was not merely an academic treatise written by academics as such. It was, rather, written in the name of the bishops, and with their input, and then approved by them.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Black academic robes actually have their origins in clerical attire. In my own situation they are entirely appropriate as the choir is the choir of a Catholic College and we are all given our academic robe at our matriculation ceremony.
  • ghmus7
    Ok, here's a question, if a choir of seminarians
    Is singing in c&s, what would be appropriate for
    A conductor to wear? An alb?
  • Liam
    A hairshirt.
  • BenBen
    If the director is also male, just wear a c&s. I sing in a completely non-clerical choir that uses them. There's nothing wrong with it. For men.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A hairshirt.

• I think part of what makes a fancy cape a cope is the Christus vesica embroidered on the hood. This would be the mark of an ordained priest since vesicas (vesicae?) are not included on deacons' dalmatics. Capes and copes were probably more prevalent in the past, but an expensive vestment for only occasional use today.
  • There is no requirement for a cope to have a hood with an embroidered vesica. The Romans in fact don't usually do so, cf. the following image:
  • WJA
    Regarding this comment (link):
    The reason not to vest as an organist/cantor/director unless the whole choir is vesting has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with not making vestments about you, the wearer. If the whole choir vests- then the whole choir vests and there is nothing weird about it. If one person over (up) there vests, then its an affectation.

I agree with this comment if the choir is visible. In that case, the contrast between the vested cantor and the unvested choir is odd.

If, however, the choir is in the loft and not visible to the congregation, I see no harm in having the cantor vest if he is singing something from a visible position, especially on a solemn occasion like the Good Friday intercessions or the Exultet.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • I'm reviving this old post only to answer the original question: whether laymen may vest in a cope?

O'Connell ("The Celebration of Mass..."), speaking of the 1962 Mass, says that this is forbidden, citing a decree made in 1871 (S.R.C. 3248).

Regarding lay singers wearing cassock and surplice, Tra le Sollecitudini says that this is a fitting practice for men and boys.

So this is what applies to the EF, at least. I don't know the relevant rules for the OF, but this at least gives you the attitude in the past.
  • Shawn, I think I must disagree with your statement.

First, looking at the original posts, in the EF it would not be cantors in cope. It would be Assistants in cope. So, for Vespers, the EF delineation would be (for the Office in choir), Sung Vespers vs. Solemn Vespers... where there may be 2, 4, or 6 Assistants in cope. This is in addition to the cantors. The Assistants take part of what the cantors do, but not all.

In Sung Vespers, the choir in the sanctuary sit facing the other side - Epistle side faces Gospel side and Gospel side faces Epistle side. The cantors, in cassock and surplice, are closest the communion rail on their respective sides.

In Solemn Vespers, the choir is as above. The cantors are as above. The Assistants (2, 4, or 6 depending on the solemnity) sit facing the altar on their respective sides, closest the communion rail. The primary Assistants do pre-intonations to the celebrant; the cantors do all the other pre-intonations as normal. Don't remember for certain, but I believe the primary Assistants also intone the Magnificat, while the cantors do the remaining intonations pertinent to their role.

Just as in the EF, it is permissible (not desirable) that a layman act as sub-deacon for a Solemn Mass, it is also permissible (not desirable) that laymen can act as Assistants in cope. The lay sub-deacon wears all of the sub-diaconate vestments with the exception of the maniple... this includes the amice, alb, and dalmatic.

Assistants in cope wear cassock, surplice, and cope, regardless of lay or cleric.

Fortescue recommends that lay assistants and lay sub-deacons be at least tonsured, but often, the situations where I've seen lay assistants or lay sub-deacons, this has not been the case.

The quote from the 1962 Fortescue (with revisions by O'Connell, pg 207, Vespers) is:

"On ordinary Sundays there should be two such assistants [in cope]... on greater feasts there may be four or six. Since they wear the cope, according to the general rule these assistants should be at least tonsured... in addition to the assistants in cope, there should be (on greater days) two cantors, in surplice."
  • Incardination:
    I can't comment on Vespers or on straw sub-deacons, but O'Connell--in speaking of laymen and boys singing at Mass--says "They may not wear copes (S.R.C. 3248 [4])."
  • Copes have not always been the preserve of the clerical orders. In times past (in Sarum usage, for instance) four choir boys vested in copes intoned 'alleluia' from the rood loft. One might conjecture that this usage, which suggests a more liberal attitude in matters of vesture in times past, was not unique to Sarum.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Shawn, I think my real point was that your reference may either be superseded (1962 vs. the decree of the SRC in question from 1871) or is too specific to the more general question of whether - in some circumstance - laity may wear the cope... given that O'Connell was also involved in the publication of the 1962 Fortescue edition I mentioned.
  • GerardH
    I'm going to quietly hijack this thread just to ask @Incardination where might such rubrics for Vespers be found? I have been searching in vain for precedents to apply to the Ordinary Form (The GILH is largely unheplful in this regard).
  • tomjaw
    @GerardH

From Fortescue, this is an old edition from 1917,

https://archive.org/details/ceremoniesofroma00fort/page/198
  • Unfortunately, I don't have a resource for the OF.

Fr. Adrian Fortescue was a renowned liturgist who wrote detailed books regarding rubrics which applied to the TLM and associated rites. Although he died in 1923, an updated version of his book - the Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described was published periodically through at least the 1962 rubrics with updates from Canon J. B. O'Connell, another respected liturgist (died in 1977).
    Thanked by 2GerardH CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Unfortunately, I don't have a resource for the OF.

In reality, nobody does. The closest you can get is Eliott's "Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite", but even with that a lot of the Office ceremonial, IIRC, is applied to the OF from the EF. Most places that I have heard of that do sung Vespers on a regular basis are either Benedictine monasteries, who follow the Rule and have their own liturgical books, or use EF Vespers, or an adaptation thereof for the Modern Calendar, and follow the EF rubrics (whether 1960 or earlier).
  • >> n ordinary Sundays there should be two such assistants [in cope]... on greater feasts there may be four or six.
    on a practical note, what parish has four to six copes on hand in the same color ?!

If the choir is not in the sanctuary, doesn't a cope seem (I'm sorry) affected, whether or not the rest of a mixed choir is wearing identical clothing of one kind or another including C&S?!
    This is not a person assisting at the altar; it's a member of the choir.
    Sorry, frankly as a PIP I would read that for many years someone has been longing to find some rationale to look like a cleric, has not found it, and is going ahead anywat.
    Or maybe, as I say, I'm just reading it wrong.
  • When Abp Lefebvre came through St. Mary's, Ks. in 1982, we had Pontifical Solemn Vespers with 6 Assistants in cope. All six were lay. In his same visit, for the Pontifical Mass (at the throne, no less), the 4 cappellani (all lay) were in cope (although that was perhaps an European affectation since the rubrics simply mention vimpae for the principal 2 cappellani, which they had in addition to the copes). In addition to the cappellani, the Assistant Priest was also in cope, so that was five all of one color - white / gold. For Vespers, it was seven - green. It isn't necessarily uncommon for parishes to have multiple sets of a given color (especially green), which allows ability to have Assistants in cope of the same color although not necessarily matching.

I don't know what you mean by "if the choir is not in the sanctuary". What I'm referencing presumes exactly that... the choir (i.e. the liturgical choir of all men), vested in cassock and surplice, on opposite sides of the sanctuary. Several times in the past several years at our principal parish we've had two Assistants in cope (both clerics) with the rest of the choir (10-14 men in cassock and surplice, both cleric and lay) in the sanctuary.

My experience, both with lay sub-deacon and lay Assistants in cope is that this isn't something typically advocated for by laity eager to play dress-up, but because of an earnest desire to have Solemn ceremonies (usually by the clergy) where it can be reasonably done. I haven't seen it that often (sub-deacon maybe 2x; lay Assistants in cope maybe 2x)... particularly as - more and more - we have clerics that can fill those roles.

The original question was (as I read it), whether such a thing was allowed. I think I was pretty clear that
    ... it is permissible (not desirable)...

:)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • >> I don't know what you mean by "if the choir is not in the sanctuary".
    Well, I meant, you know, if the choir is not in the sanctuary. :)
    Ours is not.
    In monasteries, in seminaries, in times past, the Choir would be all male, maybe even all clerics or religious (not saying it would have to be, I do not know), but in the sanctuary.
    In modern parlance however, and times being what they are (e.g., our little place has barely enough young men to serve at Mass, let alone sing in a boychoir), "choir" is often a mixed group of singers (e.g., the photo published earlier in this thread of a mixed group in blue garb).
    Ours is a mixed group; we do not sing in the sanctuary or assist at the altar. Any of us.
  • chonakchonak
    I checked the Ceremonial of Bishops to look for OF rubrics.

For the celebration of Vespers on major solemnities (note that proviso), the bishop is to wear amice, alb, cincture, pectoral cross, stole, and cope. Priests may wear a cope over a surplice or alb; deacons may wear either a cope or a dalmatic. [Sec. 192]. [For a simpler form of celebration on other occasions, the bishop may wear alb and stole and cope.]

Cantors are mentioned later, but no specification of their vesture is given. In a chapter on general norms, the alb is identified as the vestment common to ministers in general. It should be worn with a cincture, and with an amice if it is needed to cover the minister's secular clothing at the neck. Also, that section says that ministers may wear other lawfully approved vesture: thus there may be instructions elsewhere about what they are to wear in specific cases.
    Thanked by 2GerardH CHGiffen
  • Mme,

Do you regularly have sung vespers? If yes, is there a hebdom alone in the sanctuary? Do you have cantors? Are the cantors vested? If you don't have sufficient men (be they clerics or lay) to have SOMEONE other than the hebdom vested in the sanctuary, clearly you wouldn't have Assistants in cope.

In my experience, most EF parishes that have vespers (periodic or regular), typically have a group of men "in choir" (i.e. on either side in the sanctuary)... whether or not there are Assistants in cope.
  • Incard - no, we don't have sung Vespers.