Who makes nice Vestments for the Novus Ordo Mass
  • A non-musical question, but I think folks here might be able to help.

My daughter is in the 8th grade and her class is looking for ideas for a class gift to the Parish. I thought about a nice set of vestments for the Church. Our Parish has some….well I will l be nice and say "standard" gothic vestments, but I thought it might be nice for the class to gift a "fine" set (likely just a chasuble, dalmatics and a few stoles since all other items (i.e. maniples, chalice veil, burse) would all go unused at the parish. It would be a reminder that they would see after they left the grade school, and better than planting a tree or something that will be quickly forgotten.

So I need help finding a source/info for finer vestments I have looked at some of the sites on the NLM site but they seem to be mostly for Usus Antiquior Masses and we are a long way from that at our parish.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The difference between EF and OF vestments is that the OF's are fewer, not different. There is nothing stopping a priest from wearing a Baroque Fiddle-back at an OF Vernacular Mass (you know, except good taste), nor anything preventing the wearing of a plain gothic chasuble at an EF (except, you know, fussbudgety traddies).

• BenBen
    If you want a nice OF set, as Adam said, the only difference is not even the lack of vestments, but simply that they are optional. Many priests, including my bishop, wears nearly identical vestments for both the EF and OF, including maniple, burse, veil, etc...just look for nice sets, regardless of form.
  • I understand that there is really no difference in vestments between EF and OF (except I thought the maniple was required for EF and not for OF). I completely agree with Adam about the fiddleback, I think that alone would get peoples attention at our parish. My concern is that these all seemed to be packaged as 'kit' and the class would be paying for some items that would never be used. I guess you could say I am looking for "Ad Hoc" vestments.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    hrm... you haven't done as much vestment fantasizing research as I have... hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will intervene- but, in the meantime- I'll try to post some links that I've drooled over looked into in the past
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • Try Almy's. They make some nice vestments (almy.com). The Holy Rood Guild isn't too bad, and is made by the Trappists at Spencer, but they are really expensive.
  • Ooh I forgot about Watts
  • JahazaJahaza
    The vestments from the "House of Ephesus" of the Benedictines of Mary Queen of the Apostles are reasonably priced at a range of price points. The work I've seen in person (a set of vimpae) from them was lovely and most of the designs are good. They also sell pieces separately, not as sets, so if you don't need a maniple/burse/chalice veil, you won't pay for them. However, you should buy one anyways, as you won't save that much money and you won't be able to easily get a matching ones later.

Of course, all these good things mean that they are now taking orders for delivery in September 2015!
  • I always liked things I have seen from the Holy Rood Guild, if you can get past the fairly high prices and the top contender for World's Creepiest Stare on the front page.

I grew up about 45 minutes from the abbey that makes these. The showroom is amazing.
  • Oh, my. That is one creepy stare.
  • redsox1
    Holy Rood Guild. I loved the vestments at St
    Paul's Cathedral in Worcester (diocese where Spencer is located.) IIRC, the Shrine in DC has their vestments as well.
    Very elegant.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • chonakchonak
    I have an old catalog from them ODT (on dead trees), and most of the vestment-wearing "models" in it are actual monks; but I suspect that that one isn't.
  • Thanks for the suggestions do any of you have any knowledge of Catholic Liturgicals.

http://catholicliturgicals.com/view_romanvestments.php?catid=96

I think this might fall under the too good to be true?
  • BenBen
    My homeschool group has ordered chausables from them for our chaplain, and while some of the cheap ones are simple, they are actually a decent quality. What you see is what you get. The ones with nice embroidery are quite nice.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    gahh... so many Catholic vendors with such terrible web pages....
  • CharlesW
    What? You don't like this!

http://badvestments.blogspot.com/2009/11/johnsons-grand-unified-theory-of.html

Was it horse blanket on priest in 19th century Russia? It was not! Is outrage!

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Was it horse blanket on priest in 19th century Russia? It was not!

http://www.zazzle.com/outrage_t_shirt-235704163070174741
  • I always liked things I have seen from the Holy Rood Guild, if you can get past the fairly high prices and the top contender for World's Creepiest Stare on the front page.

Vestment catalog photos always crack me up. Where would an actual priest who looks like an Olympic athlete wear a purple chasuble and stand there reading a choir octavo?

Or stand in orans position, smiling broadly ("I always grin through the Eucharistic Prayer!").
  • CharlesW,

Thanks for the laughs at lunch.

I almost spit out my lunch looking at this one from the same site

http://badvestments.blogspot.com/2012/04/just-sayin.html

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • The Saint Bede Studio makes really nice vestments, but they have no catalog, only a big range of examples in their blog.
  • David,

There's a movie from back when I was a kid called Field of Dreams. If the 8th grade class buys the set of vestments, it can be used. If it doesn't, the "un-necessary" vestments can't be used.

In your shoes, I would buy the set of vestments, including maniple. Doing otherwise reinforces what His Holiness called a hermeneutic of rupture, and encourages everyone ("traddies" as well as "progressives") to think of a priest's vestments as ugly by design.
  • BenBen
    It's my understanding that St Bede just does custom jobs, which explains their over abundance of examples and no catalog.
  • SMR
    http://vestments.eu/

They have some very nice vestments, but they are located in Poland (so shipping is a lot).
  • Wippell's!

Wippell's are peerless.

If not Wippell's, then Almy (who are not peerless).
  • fp
    I had a very good experience with GASPARD recently. I bought fabric for vestments (chasuble) , and bought several cassocks and surplices (for altar servers) and their products are very nice quality, beautiful fabric and excellent sewing. Their customer services is extremely helpful too.
  • Short answer: EF and OF vestments are the same. In the OF certain vestments are optional.
  • Adam Wood - completely agree with your comment about the various website for some of these companies ;((

SMR thanks for the link.

M. Jackson Osborn - Love the name Wippell's, But no website?
  • francis
    OK... once I read about the creepy stare I HAD to click the link.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • G
    Might I suggest a rose set?
    That would pretty much guarantee that they would never be carelessly used by someone with no liturgical sense, they would be striking, and chances are very good that the parish doesn't have them.
    Another possibility is a cope and humeral veil if the parish does Benediction.

OT, at the just finished Colloquium, gothics were used for the EFs, at least sometimes, weren't they?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    Yes, gothics were used for the EF. Actually, if I recall, gothics were all that was used all week for both forms (except that pesky dalmatic at the first Mass... definitely not gothic)
  • ^^^Beautiful vestment. Creepy model. What is with that guy? He's like, "Want some candy? Take some candy. No, I don't care. Take the candy anyway."
    Thanked by 2Ben BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm sure he's a very nice guy...
  • kevinfkevinf
    Slabbink ( out of Holland) makes lovely vestments but they are expensive. i second the Holy Rood Guild also.
  • brndurham
    As long it's neither a fiddleback (heavily embroidered scapular) or one of those tablecloth-with-a-hole-in-the-middle-and-roll-collar-sewn-on chasubles, anything decent, of seemly material, and the right liturgical colour, should suffice. As long as no overly-lacy or worse yet, roll-collar albs, and no giant stoles. Yes, I'm the one trad who isn't a fiddleback fan. My personal aesthetic preference is medieval English, not baroque Roman, but that doesn't really matter.
  • lhouston58

Davis d'Ambly vestments are exquisite:

http://www.liturgicalartist.com/gallery.php?work=vestments

Patrick Boylan at Grace Liturgical Vestments. Beautiful garments, to be sure, but he seems to be in-house at St. Mary the Virgin Church, NYC:

http://www.gracevestments.com/press.html

Barbiconi in Rome:

http://www.barbiconi.it/home.asp?aggoiornaLingua=true

Luzar in England has new and used vestments, but the sticker-shock will blow you away:

http://www.luzarvestments.co.uk/

Gardiner Hall Associates:

http://www.gardinerhall.com/Pages/liturgical.aspx

That's all for now!

• fcbfcb
    We have mainly Holy Rood vestments and though they are expensive they are very well made and will last a long time.
  • chonakchonak
    The Benedictines of Mary in Missouri ("House of Ephesus") have a two-year turnaround time at the moment (July 2014).
    Thanked by 2BruceL Ben
  • CharlesW
    Don't ignore the talents of a local seamstress. We have been fortunate to have a lady who sews beautifully.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Choose carefully from Holy Rood. 100% polyester knit ("Worcester Knit") is not a great looking or feeling fabric (and you better have good air conditioning in your Church!)
  • fcbfcb
    I'm normally morally opposed to synthetic fabrics, but I actually think that the "Worcester Knit" looks OK. It's not your typical double-knit. But you're right, it's on the heavy side. You can tell that the monks live in Massachusetts and not Maryland.
  • There are a number of vendors that I had not heard of before displaying vestments at the npm convention this week. You might check the list of exhibitors.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Just don't be taken in by fast-talking vestment sellers. Some idiot salesman tried to sell us a 'made to order' white Vestment set for Christmas: white damask with black and gold orphreys. Anyone else notice a problem?