Start of "Choir Season" - First rehearsals...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    SO!

How did it go....?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We had a great time- though I wish there had been more people.
    5 women. The only men in the room were myself and my accompanist.
    We have one male (baritonish) who is a regular, but he was out sick last night.
    We have another one (nice "irish" tenor) who would come, but he is chronically ill.

Ah well.

We started work on Schubert/Proulx Deutsche Messe, which we will be using for Christmas. I also introduced Ut Queant Laxis, which we're going to sing semi-regularly as a teaching piece. We worked on this Sunday's anthem- something we've done before: "In The Cross of Christ I Glory" set to BEACHSPRING.

We also had ice cream.

So it was a pretty good night.
  • BenBen
    Haven't had a rehearsal yet... Hopefully soon...
  • CharlesW
    Rehearsals resume Sept. 18, weekly rehearsals, that is. We practice once a month during summer.
  • We started yesterday . Prepared the propers for the 23rd Sunday using some of Fr. Kelley's Missal propers. But what I found most rewarding were the results from some of these warm-ups. Good vowel order and the descending lines. We also rehearsed " Take Lord Receieve" and " Only in God" by the St. Louis J's. with guitar acc!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Exhilarating! On Tuesday, I held practice with the women only, since they will be doing the Sept. 15 Mass (Seven Sorrows of Our Lady). In preparation for that Mass, they got blitzed with new music: 3 chants, 2 motets, and 2 English hymns. The only one that we will be doing in 3-parts, is Kevin Allen's "Desidero, Mi Jesu." The "Salve Regina" Mass they are already familiar with. The choir has become accustomed to being tossed off the pier, and they really do rise to the surface quite nicely. It took about a year for them to buy into that system. As an aside, I would highly suggest the 3 chant pieces, just on the merits of the text itself: O Quot Undis Lacrimarum; Jam Toto Subitus; Summae Deus.

On Saturday, the children will resume practices, and on Monday night I will meet with the men's choir. The entire choir meets together on September 16.
  • rogue63
    Went swimmingly---we started on 8-25, with rehearsals and a choir retreat two weeks prior. We're using the Simple Choral Gradual for pre-Mass introits and a mix of the Simple English Propers and other things for Offertory and Communion chants. Mass of the English Martyrs is going well. And we're introducing my harmonization of "Accept me today...", a Ruthenian communion prayer, as a congregational communion antiphon.

Prayers for all of you in your ministry this year!
  • rogue63, what did your choir retreat entail? I like that idea.

Ralph Bednarz, thanks for the warm-up exercises link you posted!
  • Jani
    I find myself with 2 sopranos, 2 altos, a tenor and a bass - how lucky is that? First goal: introit and offertory proper for first Sunday of Advent. And the responsorial psalm.

We start next Monday. Wish me luck.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Ally
    Ours was great! We had a choir picnic 2 weeks ago, so some good fellowship and got them talking about what we would sing this year. We do a big ecumenical concert with 7 other churches in town, so we started (after warmups, housekeeping, etc) to learn the Beethoven Hallelujah from the Mount of Olives, to jump right into it all. Also rehearsed SEP and hymns for Sunday. They know Rutter's For the Beauty of the Earth, so we ended with that - sounded really good. The plan is to introduce a few more chant hymns this year, and to use SCG as prelude-introits, so we will begin that next week. Great turnout and commitment, though I wish I had more men to balance - only 3 tenors and 3 basses, but 21 S/A.

Our children's choir starts at the end of the month with a Saturday mini-camp, with a guest clinician, scavenger hunt, pizza and ice cream.

I wish I had brought ice cream last night though. Great idea.
  • Continued seamlessly from "summer choir season".

All choirs rehearsed the SEP chants for next Sunday (as we've been SEP propers consistently since the book's release in summer 2011, I'm now testing their ability to chant these without my gesticulations), and started Unit 1 of a 22-unit music literacy course (Music Theory for Choirs by Masterworks Press).

Tuesday: Rehearsed Ordinary Time Offertories III–VIII (which we started in "summer choir"), and begain Advent Offertories I–II Lost one soprano to knee replacement surgery & rehab, gained an alto and soprano (mother/daughter combination) as well as a raw baritone (HS senior), which brings this group to seven when all are present (2S-2S-1T-2B).

Wednesday: Started work on Handl's Obsecro, Domine; reviewed a bunch of repertoire from previous seasons (Cherion: Soul of Christ; Garcia de Salazar: Salve Regina; Handl, attr. Victoria: Ave Maria; Isaac: Gustate et videte; Remondi: O sacrum convivium). At full strength this group is 3S-3A-4T(!)-4B, with at least one sight-singer on every part.

May the Lord purify our intentions and bless the work we do for his glory.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Despite light attendance (now a tradition) it went great. All four parts present for quorum.
    This Sunday is our Patroness Sunday (Nativity of BVM) so Mariana's are a natural. So, as a shakedown cruise we rehearsed the Fogliano and Arcadelt "Ave Maria's." Both of those are in the first Choral Anthology (Frogman Press, God bless you and your wife, Noel) and settled on performing the Arcadelt. One thing about the edition (from CPDL) in that book, most of the setting avoids the rest on the first beat of phrases, and the text is therefore set quite uniquely. So, if you're used to, say, the version in the St. Gregory, some of your choristers may be stymied upon the first read of this version. But the effect of the change is charming. We also rehearsed the Victoria just for fun. But the two pieces we loved were Dufay's "Ave Regina Coelorum atb (also in Choirbook) from the Ars Nova period, Landini cadences. We did this for one of the feasts last year and the pastor was thrilled to hear early polyphony, the double sharp leading tones and all.
    And lastly, rehearsal gives us the time to prepare Richard Rice's more demanding "Choral Communio's" (we sight read the SCG during summers). I can't say enough praise for these little gems. They are not just utilitarian settings, they're stand alone worthy as motets, IMO. Bravo, again, Richard.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We've had two.

So far, so good, though being in the desert, some members haven't returned yet and won't be returning until it cools down in October.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I wish I had brought ice cream last night though. Great idea.

Ally, now that I'm on Weight Watchers (down 32, .5 BWeight, yeay!) that's not a good idea. Besides, we used to close with Cabernet Sauvignon. (Yes, Richard, I know!) That's how I got my Chesterton on in the first place.!
    Thanked by 2Ally Jenny
  • First rehearsal is tonight, but I won't be there for two weeks as I'm still recovering from abdominal surgery. Expected at rehearsal 28 members, 2 new folks, though one is on the "pre seminarian track", and will focus on chant. One returning bass expected.

A lovely and highly competent director is subbing for me- I've known her since college. The choir gets to learn from a different style, which has advantages. They are in good hands.

I really love my peeps and I'll be thinking about rehearsal all day. :). Plus I'm a control freak. I'm obsessed with avoiding all that could go wrong.... so this is a good psych excercise for me.

Very light singing practice and No singing in extended sop range is ordered for another few weeks. I'm training breath support back up via several trusty, rusty, kid-goobered penny whistles. :)

In case any of my choir comrades are reading this, you sacred music junkies, have a great rehearsal and know I'm missing you all!!
  • What a lot of interesting things going on in your choirs.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • I had my first rehearsal of the new year Tuesday evening. So far we've gained 2 members over last spring when I arrived (up to 20 members). This week we're singing C.T. Andrews' "O How Lovely Are Your Dwellings," and we also worked on the Hopson arr. of Bach's "Bless the Lord, My Soul" and Allen Pote's "I Lift Up Mine Eyes" for our parish's 50th anniversary celebration in the middle of October. Other choral works on the docket for the fall include Handel's "Thanks be to Thee," D. Johnson's arrangement of "O Love, How Deep, How Broad, How High," Mozart's "Ave verum corpus" and Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."
  • My first rehearsal is typically more of an Informational Session. Began last night with 2S-1A-2T (one tenor is new and plans on singing every other week because of transportation issues... not sure of his ability yet. The other tenor is older and usually sings melody.)

In addition, expecting a few more folks throughout the year to bring the total to:
    4S-3A-2T (occasionally 3T) and, when I'm not playing organ, 1B. :)

Introduced Adoramus Te, Jesu Dulcis, Jesu Rex, and O Bone Jesu which the choir LOVED (and I could even hear my alto sight-humming her part with the recordings), and sang through our Mass Ordinary. Boy do they need lots of vocal practice after sitting out all summer!
  • canadashcanadash
    It was a good start. We had a dozen or so very competent sopranos and altos. My son's voice has changed so he has joined the tenors and is a great help there. Another soprano's voice is in the process of changing and at 15 has decided he is a tenor, which is fine with me. My younger son was alright with singing with the sopranos. We had one bass come out. There are more who will come out soon. We have one new member so far. We lost a stellar bass.

I always bake some desserts and provide water and we gather and chat for twenty minutes or so about our summer. This way it gets out and we can focus on rehearsing. I think they like the baking and it makes them feel appreciated. Father dropped in to welcome all back.

We rehearsed the SEP's for the next couple of weeks, the motets for the next couple of Sundays and the St. Michael's chant which was posted on this forum. I also introduced a new Alleluia I heard at a Ukrainian wedding this summer. So far, so good!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I arranged a SAB version of Ave verum corpus (original composer's name escapes me right now) and had one bass walk out in the middle of it, complaining that he doesn't know how to speak Italian... Off to a rousing start. Ugh. Leave it to him to leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and stress tonight until I can address the problem (whatever it may be).

Referencing Kathy's post on the Cafe from a while back, how much longer do we have to wait until these great young pastors come around with RotR congregations and we can make real music? I guess I just thought I was past the cheer leading and cajoling stage with this group. Color me a little bit frustrated.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • kevinfkevinf
    We are at the magic number of 30 this year. 9S,9A,5T,7B. I start rehearsing 3 weeks before we sing at mass. For propers I am using Richard Rices' choral gradual and Aristotle's gradual and the SEP. Mendelssohn's He Watching over Israel for the first Sunday back (Sept.8). We are also planning a trip to Rome in Nov.2015 so lots of business at choir these days. Christmas music looms in our midst also, with Mathias' Sir Christemas, Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium. Also, we will sing the Brahms Marienlieder for a spring concert, so we always look at those every week. Busy choir year....
  • Last year's choir promo image

We had a "meet the new pastor" choir pot-luck-supper party last Wednesday, which (judging by the number of people I pocket-dialed whilst mixing cocktails) was a great success. First rehearsal is this week: I have a feeling the Vaughan Williams "Mass in G" and Bach motet might be on the back burner until the spring. I want to focus on recruiting men to the choir: will need to back up the bus a bit to let them on and make sure they are secure before we move forward as a larger group. But that's what small groups are for.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mark, "sight-readers" and "exceptional" are almost oxymoronic in CatholicLand, yes?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Melofluent,

"Exceptional Sight-Readers" aren't oxymoronic, just rare.

• Jani
    First practice was this afternoon, and it went very well. But...

Regarding the SEP Introit, 1st Sunday of Advent - are you supposed to sing it as refrain, verse, refrain, verse, etc? The video demonstration appears that way, although since only one verse is used, I really don't know...

And when precisely is that "glory be" done?

Thanks!
  • @Jani, antiphon–verse–antiphon, etc. is the way to go, until the end of the procession; if the procession ends before you finish a verse, finish the verse and repeat the refrain one last time.

At the churches where I sing, the antiphon alone covers most daily Mass processions; Ant.—v.1—ant. covers most Sunday entrance processions; and when the altar is incensed, ant.—v.1—ant.—v.2—ant. suffices. We rarely need a third verse or a Glory Be (though in the latter case we could sing the Glory Be instead of v.2).
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Jani
    Thank you. Tiny church, at most 20 -30 second procession...suggestions?
  • chonakchonak
    You can sing the antiphon once and omit the verses. Or maybe he could use the time of the antiphon-verse-antiphon to do an incensation.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Jani
    Excellent - thank you both!
  • "sight-readers" and "exceptional" are almost oxymoronic in CatholicLand, yes?

There is more than one direction in which to be exceptional.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I suppose I should have colored that quip in purple, as that's what its intent was.
  • RE: Exceptional sight readers: I firmly believe in "be careful what you pray for." My hope was that the Looney Tunes characters invited members with a sense of humor. As it turns out, I recently hired a pro-tenor who is a marvelous sight reader; we're going to work on expanding his choral colour palette. Here's the promo I've been using for this fall.
    874 x 500 - 105K
  • canadashcanadash
    Received an email today; lost a tenor and alto (husband/wife).... sigh...