Brief session on chant with young 'uns next week--ideas?
  • Heath
    Our home school group has asked me (OK, my wife volunteered me) to do a session on Gregorian chant this coming Tuesday for the feast of St. Gregory. We're looking a bunch of kids ages 4-10 for 15-20 minutes.

If you had a one-shot deal like this, what would you include?

Thoughts off the of my head:

--Legend of St. Gregory (dove on the shoulder)
    --Having a few of my former choristers sing the Regina Caeli, while teaching the young kids the Alleluias in that piece
    --Solfege primer, w/Kodaly hand signs

Hmm . . . thoughts?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could do one of those in 15-20 minutes.

I would teach ONE GOOD HYMN.
    And I wouldn't talk much, maybe not at all.

YOU: A____
    (Gesture invitingly)
    KIDS: A____

(Try again.)
    YOU: A___
    KIDS: A___

YOU: A__-- '
    KIDS: A__--'

A--VE

A--VE VERUM

A--VE VERUM . . CORPUS NATUM

A--VE VERUM .. CORPUS NATUM .. DE MARIA VIRGINE
    Thanked by 2Gavin ryand
  • I'd also present one good hymn, and teach it by rote (my turn, your turn). If you sing in the lower octave you could also have 1-2 of your experienced choristers do the modeling. Kids like to see the older/other kids singing. "Hey, I could do that."

That's a really short amount of time... just enough for a small hook.

Present something beautiful, doable, and aim to get them interested, wanting more, realizing this is something they could learn, but don't know yet. Inspire.

Agreed with Adam- talk barely or not at all. Stick to one thing. 90% of time could be spent singing.

Ave Maria
    Ave verum
    Salve Mater- refrain
    Regina caeli - Alleluias
    Puer natus - Alleluias

Hav fun- be nutty. "Wow, this chanting stuff could be fun AND prayerful." Inspire/ teach to the parents, too. You could get some recruits from this.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ditto to the third via share a chanted hymn. I started yesterday, first day of parochial school, @ grades 3-7 with the simple tone AVE MARIA.
    In the process you can infuse the concepts of-
    Pure vowels (Latinate/Italian) versus
    Mixed vowels (American English, Ay Ee, Eye, Oh, Yoo)
    Notes (visual cues to pitch variation) in either one per syllable, or more per syllable. AV has no more than three per, I think. Note shape isn't all that important first time around.
    But, you should show them a good example of Illuminated Manuscript Chant from any Liber handy via Internet or like I have, a page framed on the wall.

And reinforce the idea that anything spoken, can be chanted. Recite the phone book, the Gettysburg Address in chant (improvisation) or the roster of kids. They'll immediately "get" how it uplifts the words to another level of appreciation.
  • WendiWendi
    I vote the Ave Maria chant. That was the first thing I taught my own children and they learned it by rote. Later when I was teaching them how to read square note, they picked up the patterns very quickly because they already knew how it sounded. My four year old can't read yet, but she can sing it. Besides, if you teach them that chant, you've also just taught them how to pray the Hail Mary in Latin. Talk about efficient use of time. :)
  • SalieriSalieri
    The best thing about children and chant is that (unless the have been prejudiced against it by adults) they are open to anything, their minds have yet to fill up with so much rubbish. I have two young girls in my parish choir, and they can pick things up so easily in comparison to the adults, even melismatic pieces (nothing like young voices joining on a melismatic alleluia after the first go through). Children don't need (or want) childish music!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • rob
    Great ideas. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of involving good-natured and willing parents who might agree to be put on the spot before the children.

If done respectfully, it might demonstrate that learning is not easy for anyone and that, in this context at least, the children might have an advantage over their parents.

I've seen similar tactics deployed effectively in other arts education for children, featuring parent recitals/performances (often giving rise to much hilarity).

• Teach the Regina Caeli. The returning Alleluia idea will help. Besides, it will help dispel the stupid idea that all chant is sad.

Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • I vote the Ave Maria chant also. My students learned that by rote in one class. And I agree, Salieri, that children do NOT want childish music. They want to be challenged and if nurtured, can be pushed pretty far.
  • Also, I found it fun for the children to hand out cards with the Hail Mary/Ave Maria on contrasting sides. Each phrase in both English and Latin were a different color, so the kids could see that their beloved prayer to Mother Mary could be prayed two different ways. They loved it and their chant was pure and meaningful. Good luck. Kids are great and are little sponges. They want to learn and they are open to anything, even if parents sometimes get in the way.