• Jevoro
    I know the music for the first of the first of latins post consecrationem from missale romanum, graduale triplex p. 810... but for the other ones???
  • dvalerio
    Your file appears to be damaged. In any case, are you looking for the tone to sing the entire Eucharistic Prayer? If it is the first Eucharistic Prayer [Roman Canon] you have in mind, you can download it from a French site, http://www.scholasaintmaur.net You must register (it's free) to dowload documents (Téléchargements). Then look for section «Partitions» [Music sheets], file «Ordo Missae in cantu - prêtre» [Order of Mass with chant - priest].
  • I also am unable to read this file, but I believe you will only find musical settings of the first of the three in Latin liturgical books.
  • Jevoro
    My file doesn't work: Sorry...

I know the musical setting for: Mysterium fidei: Mortem tuam annuntiamus...

...and i'm looking for musical settings for:

Mysterium fidei:

Quotiescumque manducamus panem hunc et calicem bibimus, mortem tuam anuntiamus, Domine, donec venias.

...and:

Mysterium fidei:

Salvator mundi, salva nos, qui per crucem et resurrectionem tuam liberasti nos.

Thanks
  • Don't exist... made up...

So here's some made-up chants to sing them by, adapted from the authentic melody (since we seem to be big into made-up chant here these days...). I trust your texts are correct. I'll take suggestions.

P.S. I don't think "anamnesis" is the right term here; that's something specific within the Eucharistic Prayers themselves. The Graduale Romanum calls it simply "Post consecrationem"; in English, it's Memorial Acclamation.
  • Wow! Thank you Richard.
  • Jevoro
    don't know why, but my computer does no longer read some pdf documents...
  • chonakchonak
    This comment was removed by its author.
  • Thank you. Corrected version attached.
  • chonakchonak
    As another idea: it would be nice to adapt the communion antiphon "Quotiescumque" to the text of #2. Might be a bit hard for congregations to sing, but a schola can sing it easily enough.
  • chonakchonak
    Jevoro wrote:
    don't know why, but my computer does no longer read some pdf documents...

It may be related to the "Content-type" header the server presents. Instead of "application/pdf", the server presents this HTTP header:

Content-Type: application/download

Aristotle?
  • "...it would be nice to adapt the communion antiphon 'Quotiescumque'..."

There is also (apparently) a Matins antiphon, Salvator mundi, salva nos, qui..., which could be adapted as well. The problem with such adaptations is keeping some kind of modal relation to the versical preceding it (Mysterium fidei.) There is also the question of genre, and this sort of response does better with a typically pithy type of setting. Antiphons are antiphons; Communios are Propers; etc. It's distressing enough to find the newest Antiphonale, in an effort to expand the repertoire of proper Gospel Canticle antiphons, using simple Psalm antiphons from elsewhere in the book. I want something at least somewhat richer at this point in the Office, even if it means recourse to the Common of whatever.
  • PS. I have trouble posting and reading attachments in this blog when I am signed on through AOL. I don't have trouble when I go through Windows Internet Explorer.
  • Of course, it occurred to me sometime after writing the above mini-dissertation that the tune for Mortem tuam is itself an adaptation of an Office antiphon (just which one I can't recall). It's still a good theory...
  • chonakchonak
    I wrote out this adapted "Quotiescumque" as an exercise, to try out the engraving software gregorio.

It seems that the source of this setting, the older Communion antiphon for Corpus Christi, was replaced with another text in the current Graduale. Pity.
  • test
  • @chonak et al. Well, it looks to be a problem with the forum software and not with anyone's computer. Although the MIME settings are correct, clicking on any attached file will present 'application/download' (or in my case, "which is a ZIP archive).

Worse, fiddling with the source code caused all preexisting attachments from this and other threads to disappear...

...so I guess this thread could also be called 'amnesis'...
  • chonakchonak
    That fixed the problem, at least for me. Thanks, Aristotle!

Is there any way to get Richard Rice's attachment posted again?
  • Jevoro
    Musical setting of Dom Cardine for "Mysterium fidei: Mortem tuam..." is put from "Crucem tuam adoramus, Domine..." (Graduale romanum 175)

Thanks for the musical setting oh "quotiescumque"... The "factus es repente" trompetisme for the beginning of this communion sounds still so strange in my ears... i would like another (more classical for VIIth mode) intonation... sol do si do re....???

file doesnt work... i found some salvator mundi in the nocturnale romanum (2005)
  • OlbashOlbash
    The only attachment which I could read in this entire thread was Chonak's Quotiescumque. (Nice work, Richard!)
    BTW, I noticed that chant was identical in spots to one of my all-time faves, "Factum est repente" from the Mass for Pentecost. Which came first?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, looking at the "Quotiescumque", I think the range (a ninth) is a problem, unless the priest can take a nice low starting pitch from the organist.
  • Has anyone else ever noted, also, the linear (and astonishingly appropriate) correspondence between Mortem tuam and Te Deum?
  • rich_enough
    I found a setting of two of the other acclamations in Latin ("Quotiescumque" and "Salvator mundi") in the WLP missalette "Seasonal Missalette" (Aug. 3 - Nov. 29, 2008 edition, p. 188).

The advantage is that they are based on the "Mortem tuam" melody, so there's no need to learn a "new" melody (assuming one knows "Mortem tuam").

The "Factus est repente" from the Pentecost mass came first. The "Quotiescumque" from the mass for Corpus Christi dates from the 13th century, some of the chants being reworked from the Pentecost mass.

Sam Schmitt
  • rich_enough
  • Jevoro
    L'avantage, si on avait des mélodies autres que celle de "mortem tuam", serait que rien qu'à l'intonation les fidèles sauront quel texte chanter... J'attends avecimpatience le scannage de rich-enough.

(Not to be understood, say/put it in my english: If "salvator" and "quotiescumeque" would have other musical settings (than morten tuam), even for the introducing "mysterium fidei", everbody immediaty knows what text to sing.
    I would like to have some scan from Seasoal missalette, rich-enough...)

(About my attachments, i think, they are unable to cross the ocean...)
  • chonakchonak
    It looks like the JPGs aren't working, jevoro. Maybe you can put them into an OO.o document and generate a PDF.

Or you could post them to another web site and then link them in here with an HTML img tag like this: (the following is Jevoro's manuscript)
  • Jevoro
    Maybe this link will be able to cross the ocean...:

http://jevoro.over-blog.com/article-24147112.html
  • Pes
    Here's a shot at adapting the draft LU adaptation into English:
  • Pes
    Oh forget that MSWord file. Here's a PDF:
  • chonakchonak
    That short response could be a good way of getting people accustomed to English chants for the Responsum, though that particular text is probably going to go away as an option when the new Missal is approved in 2014. :-)

PS: By the way, if you want to revise a post, you can do that without adding a separate follow-up message. Use the "edit" link to the right of your posted message.