which document(s) describe role of the cantor
  • Per the subject, I'm wondering which official documents describe the job of the cantor.

thanks in advance.
  • soli
    Here is a quote from the GIRM: http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter3.shtml

102. The psalmist's role is to sing the Psalm or other biblical canticle that comes between the readings. To fulfill this function correctly, it is necessary that the psalmist have the ability for singing and a facility in correct pronunciation and diction.

103. Among the faithful, the schola cantorum or choir exercises its own liturgical function, ensuring that the parts proper to it, in keeping with the different types of chants, are properly carried out and fostering the active participation of the faithful through the singing.87 What is said about the choir also applies, in accordance with the relevant norms, to other musicians, especially the organist.

104. It is fitting that there be a cantor or a choir director to lead and sustain the people's singing. When in fact there is no choir, it is up to the cantor to lead the different chants, with the people taking part.88

------------------------ I'm not sure about any other documents.
  • I found something similar in SttL. The issue I have in mind is a question about a unconfirmed child intoning the Agnus Dei and whether that action constitutes being a "cantor" or not. My position is that it does not, as this child is not singing the Psalm or the Alleluia, but is merely performing a in solo manner one of the mass parts assigned to the choir.

thoughts . . . ?
  • There's a lot more in the GIRM about cantors. The index in the back has the list of pages.
  • G
    Forgive the prying, but I sense you're getting flak from someone about a child who has not yet been confirmed taking a liturgical role, or some such?
    It surprises me that lack of confirmation would be an issue.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • priorstf
    To my surprise, I've never seen anything that limits roles to Catholics, let alone confirmed Catholics. We have plenty of non-catholic singers, organists, even music directors out there, so why not cantors? If the youngster can do the job properly - and is not there only to "perform" - there shouldn't be anything to stop it. Indeed it might strengthen the realization that we are all able to contribute.

Having said that, however, I think we may be bumping up against a topic in another thread: do we want musicians first or member of our community of faith? Will requiring that a cantor be a confirmed Catholic deny our congregations better singers? Will a vocally talented Jew proclaiming the Psalm scandalize the congregation?

Bottom line might well be: Who can serve?
  • GavinGavin
    I thought I had read somewhere a description of cantor as necessarily confirmed. I recall when I was confirmed they told us that the ministry of lector and EMHC (or as they called it in those days, "Eucharistic Minister") are reserved for the confirmed, so it seems logical this would also apply to cantor. I asked my boss at my last parish, who had never heard of it, so I had some children cantoring. On that topic, here's a bulletin article that I wrote on the topic:

I’m often asked, “Why did you decide to play the organ?” To be honest, I don’t really have a reason, but perhaps a lot of it stems from my elementary school priest. I took piano lessons starting in 5th grade, and the parish priest always attended every recital that our studio gave. Furthermore, when we made our monthly confessions, the priest would always ask me in the confessional how my piano studies were doing, tell me how excited he was to hear my next performance, and encourage me to keep at my work. Maybe on a subconscious level the priest encouraged me to pursue musical work for the Church. It certainly sounds nice.

Continuing on the topic of involvement in the parish music program, [this was in a series on getting people involved in the music program] I would like to mention one of the most profound ways you can help: by encouraging a child to learn music. I don’t know of any parent that doesn’t want their child to excel in schoolwork. Nothing helps like studying music! You may be wondering, “how does music help Junior’s grades?” Well, music and math are two very entwined fields. The more one studies music, the better one becomes at math, and vice versa. Music also teaches your child the value of discipline through practice, setting performance goals, and self-improvement.

If you’re not a parent, young people studying music is also in your interest. As I mentioned in the beginning, early encouragement can mean the difference between an adult who is a musician and one who isn’t. Thirty years from now, who will be the entertainers? Who will sing in the [parish name] choir? Today’s child learning violin could be tomorrow’s virtuoso, entertaining thousands. In the Church we hear of the need for priests, but what of musicians? The child you know who studies piano and loves to sing in church could be the future music director of some parish. All they need is a kind word, encouragement to keep up with studies, and your ear when they perform.

On that note, I’d like to point out some exceptional children involved with music. [Parish name] has recently gained two cantors, [girl 1] and [girl 2], both middle school students. I hope you will join me in thanking them for their contribution to the parish and that their example will inspire you to help the child in your life take up the study of music.
  • chonakchonak
    priorstf wrote:
    To my surprise, I've never seen anything that limits roles to Catholics,

I don't know whether the following is still in force or has been superceded by later documents, but back in 1958, De musica sacra had this:

97. Those who have a part in the sacred music -- composers, organists, choir directors, singers, and instrumentalists -- should above all be outstanding Christians, and give example to the rest of the faithful, conformable to their role as direct or indirect participants in the sacred liturgy.

While we probably all have non-Catholic friends who are outstanding Christians able to give example to the rest of the faithful, I think a church document of 1958 probably really wasn't intending to include them in this rubric.

There are some liturgical roles which may be opened to non-Catholics. If I remember right, the "Directory on Ecumenism" allows that a non-Catholic may be invited to read the Old Testament or Epistle reading at Mass. I don't know whether the Directory has any similar arrangements regarding musicians and singers; or whether such an invitation can be made routine rather than occasional.
  • G
    Gavin, it seems probable that actual lectors need to be confirmed, but I don't imagine any of us here attend Masses that utilize lectors.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G - I'm actually a 3rd party to all of this, and I haven't seen the "paperwork" to back this up, but what I'm hearing is that our archbishop has declared that he doesn't want children who are not confirmed serving as cantor at mass UNLESS it is specifically a "youth" mass where all members of the choir are children.

The situation is that a 4th grade girl was singing in the choir at OF mass, and one of the people who has attended training for youth ministries reminded the rector that children who are not yet confirmed should not be serving in the role of cantor. The implication was that having this girl sing "Jesus, Lamb of God . . . " was not allowed since she is unconfirmed, sang it alone, and was amplified by a mic and PA.

My question was "does merely intoning the Agnus Dei make her a cantor?" The response was "if an adult or child is singing alone, on a mic, then they are cantoring." I'm not so sure about this, so I'm looking for documentation from the church to support or disprove this assertion. To me, singing alone on a mic does not a cantor make, especially if they are not singing the Psalm or Alleluia . . .
  • chonakchonak
    darth_linux (I love that name) --

You may have to resort to asking your diocesan office of worship about this. Personally, I doubt that the archbishop really intended to bar children in choirs from singing a four-word solo in a part of the Mass ordinary.
  • I don't believe that singing "Jesus, Lamb of God..." in place of the correct Agnus Dei text is permitted...a much more serious offense then having a baptized person's voice be heard...

But hey, it's the American version of the Roman Rite....approved or not...
  • a1437053a1437053
    frogman:

What's the final word on "Jesus, Lamb of God"? Your "I think" didn't sound too convincing, and I'd like to bring this up with our cantor (my wife) since we've battled over this forever!
  • Well, it's a definite no-no...proposed...the trophing of the Agnus Dei...sent to Rome, Rome said NO and of course, in the USA it is still published by our publishing houses who thence show their allegiance...to the dollars they can make rather than the word of Rome.

Someone shoot me down with a big Eagles Wing if you will, but this is how I remember reading it, AFTER I had taught my choir the Proulx Deutsche Mass verision, which we then abandoned because we respect the word of Rome.
  • francis
    ignoring rome is just like ignoring your parents when you are a child. its called rebellion and disobedience.
  • priorstf
    Sing To The Lord addresses the issue to some extent. Yes, yes, we all know it was not submitted for approval, so you are welcome to complain to the CDW if you disagree. Let us know their response.

SttL:

When the Agnus Dei is sung repeatedly as a litany, Christological invocations with other texts may be used. In this case, the first and final invocations are always Agnus Dei (Lamb of God).

I doubt that adding "Jesus" was intended, but it seems a bit awkward to say "Sorry. This is the Mass. 'Jesus' has got to go."
  • I thought "Jesus, Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us" is an approved "setting" right out of the OCP book . . . is it not?

My parish, in SW Washington (archdiocese of Seattle), has bought into STTL hook line and sinker, approved or not, as it is the "recommendation" of our archbishop . . .

the original issue of this thread pertained to what constitues a Cantor in an official sense of the word, and if the only thing you sang alone on was the Agnus Dei (english or latin) did that "make you" the cantor? My belief is that no it does not . . .
  • priorstf
    darth -

You're absolutely correct. There is a lot more to the ministry of a cantor than singing the Agnus Dei. Sing to the Lord has several paragraphs on the role of the Cantor and separate paragraphs on the role of the Psalmist or Cantor of the Psalm. Your diocese is far from the only one to accept what SttL has to say. In the absence of anything better, that makes perfectly good sense.
  • SttL:

When the Agnus Dei is sung repeatedly as a litany, Christological invocations with other texts may be used. In this case, the first and final invocations are always Agnus Dei (Lamb of God).

SHOULD THE STTL, NEVER SUBMITTED, CONTRADICT 2000 Institutio Generalis Missalis Romani? FORGIVE ME, AM I SHOUTING?

From this article, by someone more learned than myself:

http://www.adoremus.org/1202AgnusDei.html

"A clear inference also is that if the GIRM allows "troping" a particular text, it says so. There is no provision for "troping" the Agnus Dei; surely a further indication that there was no intention to permit replacing or adding to the traditional invocations.

In the 2000 Institutio Generalis Missalis Romani, the statement on the Agnus Dei itself is essentially unchanged. Significantly, however, it is preceded by a new statement: that the fraction rite should not be overemphasized or unnecessarily prolonged, and that the breaking of the bread should be done only by the priest and deacon. Further, a new paragraph in IGMR 2000, § 366, refers explicitly to the Agnus Dei:

It is not permitted to substitute for the chants found in the Order of Mass, e.g., at the Agnus Dei.

What could be more clear?"
  • is an approved "setting" right out of the OCP book . . . is it not?

YES, APPROVED BY OCP....oops, I was shouting again.
  • francis
    what is really a crime in all this is that WE (the pastoral musicians) have to play music/liturgy police which takes so much time and energy that would have otherwise been spent in making good liturgical music!
  • And what is a far worse crime is that we Catholic Musicians have to play music under the radar OF the local liturgy police!