Alleluia Verses for Ordinary-form Wedding Masses
  • I have set, in modern notation, the four options for the Alleluia verse in the Ordinary Form Nuptial Mass, as well as simple and melismatic English-language adaptations of the Alleluia verse, as found on p. 646 of the Graduale Romanum/Graduale Triplex (Solesmes, 1974) for the Missa pro sponsis. These are set to absolute pitch—or more accurately, what I think absolute pitch should be for these chants.

These are the verses set:

* 1 John 4:7b — Everyone who loves is begotten of God and knows God.
    * 1 John 4:8b, 11 — God is love. If God loved us, we also must love one another.
    * 1 John 4:12 — If we love one another, God remains in us and his love is brought to perfection in us.
    * 1 John 4:16 — Whoever remains in love, remains in God and God in him.
    * Psalm 20(19):3 — May the Lord send you help from the sanctuary, and defend you out of Sion.

The final verse in the list is from the Graduale Romanum, and is never mentioned in most Catholic booklets for the Wedding Mass. (For example, none of the chants from the Graduale Romanum are mentioned in this booklet from the Diocese of Lansing [PDF].)

• Aristotle, your timing is impeccable. Thanks for your contribution!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    This begs a question for me: what are the rules for pointing in English? I have the CMAA republished book, Gregorian Chant According to the Solesmes Method, but do those rules refer particularly to the Latin language? (I have not studied them yet, so perhaps there is an obvious answer.)

I am considering pointing some psalms for my school kids to sing during their school liturgies this year, as a way of warming up everyone to the idea of chant (and without having to worry about any copyright infringements). (My attempts at Gregorian chant with them last year didn't go over too well; I tried too much too soon, and in an environment which has been changing music teachers every one to two years.)
  • Jenny: You're welcome! Remind me to relate the story behind its creation…

Angela M: Bruce E. Ford had posted an essay on the forum, "Setting English Texts to Gregorian Psalm Tones." As the forum software has a habit of eating attachments, I'm posting a direct link to the PDF here. (The current link only includes 9 of the 11 pages — the final 2 are a fully-notated example of his method.)

Having been convinced thoroughly by his approach, I have used it for my own chant-based settings of Responsorial Psalms (with one minor adjustment to the treating the mediant cadences).
  • Chant Alleluia Verse for the Roman Catholic Wedding Mass: Mittat Vobis (English)

As before, all errors in interpretation are mine and mine alone.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • mjballoumjballou
    Too nifty, Aristotle! And will use these in my campaign to stamp out the Celtic Alleluia at wedding Masses.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Thanks so much, Aristotle! I will look this over.
  • SWM
    Hello Aristotle,

I realize this is an older discussion thread, but I just happened upon it and find it very useful. Is there any chance you can post a similar resource using the triple Alleluia for the Missa pro Sponsis from the Graduale Simplex?
  • SWM, here is the entire Missa pro Sponsis from the Graduale Simplex in Latin and English.
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • As the forum software has a habit of eating attachments, I'm posting a direct link to the PDF here. (The current link only includes 9 of the 11 pages — the final 2 are a fully-notated example of his method.)

The forum also ate the direct link. If you're reading this, Aristotle, could you re-post that link?
  • Link above is fixed and available here as well.