So, which psalm?
  • rogue63
    For the 22rd Sunday of OT, I am having some trouble finding the communion proper antiphon. The Gregorian Missal lists Ps. 70---"Domine, memorabor iustitiae..." as the Communion for Year C. However, the Roman Missal lists Ps. 31---"How great is the goodness, Lord, that you keep...". Is this the oft-referred-to divergence between "spoken" propers and "sung propers"? If so, is there a more authentic choice between them?

Does this divergence mean that liturgy is simply a thing of our own making, and we are free to choose whatever psalm texts we like for whatever Sunday, with no regard to received traditions?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is this the oft-referred-to divergence between "spoken" propers and "sung propers"?

Yes.

If so, is there a more authentic choice between them?

That depends. Are you planning to sing or speak it?

Does this divergence mean that liturgy is simply a thing of our own making, and we are free to choose whatever psalm texts we like for whatever Sunday, with no regard to received traditions?

• Liam
    Though, if you are in the US, you may sing the Missal propers, too.
  • PeterJ
    "Does this divergence mean that liturgy is simply a thing of our own making, and we are free to choose whatever psalm texts we like for whatever Sunday, with no regard to received traditions?"

The church presenting a number of different texts to us does not necessarily create a "free for all".
  • ronkrisman
    Well, That Escalated Quickly

One of Adam's all-time bests!!!!!!
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Ben
  • rogue63
    I laughed out loud---thanks for getting the humor, Adam!

Seriously, are the sung propers from the Graduale more "authentic"? As in, they have the mantle of antiquity, right?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Seriously, are the sung propers from the Graduale more "authentic"? As in, they have the mantle of antiquity, right?

That depends a lot on what you mean by authentic, I suppose- but (more or less) - sure, why not.
  • rogue63
    Right....well, I mean, the Missal propers weren't drafted in the 10th century, right? Therefore, younger?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Well, some of the Missal antiphons which are different from the Graduale antiphons (some, not nearly all) are Office antiphons. Whether this was planned or just a coincidence, I don't know.

But I'd be careful with the word "drafted," as the texts are all Scriptural or otherwise received from tradition. The assignments may have been original, but hardly the texts. It's not like Bugnini sat down and penned "Gather Us In" or "We Are Called" as the Missal antiphon for the __ Sunday in Ordinary Time.