Christus Vincit & Feast of Christ the King
  • Jan
    Our schola wishes to sing the Hymn Christus Vincit for our EF Mass Feast of Christ the King. I've never sung this before and had a few questions.
    What part of the Mass is this usually sung? Why is this hymn divided into 4 parts? Do you sing the whole hymn or are these options? Can't find the hymn in the Liber. What's the tradition for use?
  • It's original use was as a Processional, and in various versions it was quite long. If your EF Mass is a Low Mass, it might be too long for the Entrance hymn - the music is not to impede the flow of the Mass in this case. I program it every year for the Offertory - it's just the perfect length. If you use the polyphonic version - #310 in the St. Gregory Hymnal, I believe - I have it in Finale, updated with Pope Benedict's name already. If you let me know your Bishop's name, I can make up a version for you - both TIF to insert in the worship aid, and PDF for the accompaniment. Just email me.
  • Jan
    Thanks Steve. I thought we'd use the version from the PBC. This version has 4 parts. So I was confused. Our EF Mass is a Missa Cantata.
    I certainly could see it used as a processional but with all 4 parts it might be too long.
  • You could time it to begin it before Mass and then the Bells could be rung when Mass starts and then finish it off....
  • Jan
    Not sure if it's 'kosher' to skip a part of two. Or if it's essential to sing all 4 parts. Any thoughts?
  • If anyone wants to sing the polyphonic version in the St. Gregory Hymnal (as mentioned above) I can supply it to you. If you let me know your Bishop's first name (preferably in Latin, but I can get it translated) I'll make the adjustment, and send you a TIF file for your worship aid, and a PDF of the accompaniment. We have 2 weeks before the EF celebration of Christ the King, and about 6 weeks for the OF. Just email me your request.