OMG! Another Sighting of Flying Fish!
  • francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXmDC6cYOg

And the organ accompaniment is just... perfect!
  • francis
    Argh... no, Kathy already posted this one somewhere else (flaming fishtails). Sorry for the false alarm. However, you might want to examine the music theory of organ playing behind the flying fish. It is well done!
  • BenBen
    What. The. Heck.
  • BenBen
    Just tell me: you were hoping the kite would dip down into the candle at 13:00 and go up into flames. Don't tell me you weren't secretly hoping for it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    Ben.

It would have been the procession that went down in infamy for all time. Do you like the improvised organ cadenza while the fish takes center stage? It reminds me of the celesta that they used to play on Mr. Rogers when the train went around the tracks.
  • chonakchonak
    This guy has nothing on Johnny Costa.
  • chonakchonak
    This illustrates a problem with "creative" liturgy. The liturgy already has its own symbols: e.g., the Paschal candle for Christ. Introducing invented symbols that are more modern, vivid, and eye-catching -- like a silk "kite" in the shape of a flying fish -- weakens the communicative effectiveness of the existing symbols.
  • TCJ
    Dramatic narrations with cheesy trumpets tooting in between the long pauses...

Roger Moore is better at doing that.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Dramatic narrations with cheesy trumpets tooting in between the long pauses...

Roger Moore is better at doing that.

This illustrates a problem with "creative" liturgy.

I get that the 60s-70s, etc., were about breaking down a lot of boudaries for the first time, like, everrr. But I believe that some of the most creative creativity comes from working within established or imposed boundaries. Hence the generational disconnect between people who lived through those boundaries being broken down who loved every minute of it (although some certainly didn't - many on here I suppose), and those born well after the "newness" of near boundary-less liturgy had worn off.
  • jpal
    I don't imagine anyone picked up on "Lumen ad revelationem" as the actual inspiration for the the improvisation as the candle was being lit.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This illustrates a problem with "creative" liturgy.

I'm glad the word "creative" was put in scare quotes, since I consider this sort of thing to be an example of remarkably uncreative liturgy.
  • CharlesW
    I think this calls for a song. **New and Improved Version**

And He will raise you up on halibut wings
    Bear you on fish breath at dawn
    Make you smell like Adam's puns
    And hold you in a net with His hand
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My puns smell fishy?
    I sea what you did there...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • CharlesW
    Do you think Adam's puns wear Shalimar? Now are your tastes less offended? LOL.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • In some way, I really feel bad about this entire event. So many good people working so hard, so many committees and planning events, so many skilled musicians and good scholars striving to improve this organization and event, and yet, in the end, this year's NPM annual convention will be remembered for its huge flying fish on a stick.

Really, as a Catholic, it is just really embarrassing.
  • chonakchonak
    Sometimes the 'thanks' button isn't enough, and we need a ROTFL button.
  • BenBen
  • jpal
    And the organ accompaniment is just... perfect!

However, you might want to examine the music theory of organ playing behind the flying fish. It is well done!

Do you like the improvised organ cadenza while the fish takes center stage? It reminds me of the celesta that they used to play on Mr. Rogers when the train went around the tracks.

This guy has nothing on Johnny Costa.

Since I am the greatest critic of my own organ playing, I'm doubly entertained by these comments! Admittedly, I could use some lessons in improvisation.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen marajoy
  • chonakchonak
    Was that you? Well, if so, good work in dealing with a um, very special situation!
    Thanked by 3jpal expeditus1 marajoy
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Sometimes the 'thanks' button isn't enough, and we need a ROTFL button.

ACCURATE.

...Make it happen.
  • CharlesW
    What if it had been a green fish?