Advent and Christmas Chants
  • mjballoumjballou
    I have a workshop coming up in November and am thinking of teaching two simple chants - one for Advent and one for Christmas (in addition to all the other stuff I do). For Advent, I can think of Conditor alme siderum because the melody is already familiar and its syllabic hymn structure is simple.

What about Christmas? Remember, I'm working in a territory that is virtually chant-less and Latin-less. Thanks in advance.
  • If you're teaching from the Parish Book of Chant I would strongly recommend Corde natus ex Parentis, which has a melody that, even though it's a bit more involved than Conditor alme siderum, is absolutely irresistible in my opinion.
  • GavinGavin
    I would say for Advent the hymn Rorate Caelli, and for Christmas I would suggest the introit Puer Natus.
  • Perhaps for Christmas the hymn "Puer Natus in Bethlehem" if the introit "Puer Natus est nobis" is too much. I like the Conditor Alme Siderum idea too.
  • MartyMarty
    Hi
    I am the president of Summorum Pontificum Wangaratta, a group of faithful hoping to obtain the Mass in the Ex-form on a regular basis.
    We have recently secured a once a month Mass and have the potential to expand on this. We have not, as yet, formed a choir but there are a few young men interested in setting this into place. We plan to have our first Missa Cantata for midnight Mass this Christmas.
    I was just wondering which setting is usually in place for the midnight Mass and if there is any helpful tips you can give our very inexperienced group of fellows.
    Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Marty,

Is there any way you can please E-mail me?

Please put "sacred music" in the Subject Line.

jeff@ostrowski.cc

Best regards,
    JMO
  • MartyMarty
    No worries.