Alternative Hymn Harmonisations/Descants
  • hartleymartin
    Are there collections of alternative harmonisations and descants that you can recommend? I've recently had a few requests to do this, and now that I have a basic repertoire of hymns, interludes, preludes and postludes, this is an area I need to expand and explore.
  • Noel Rawsthorne's collection of "400 Last Verses" is a good starting point. Gerre Hancock has a few collections published as well and there is a good collection from T. Tertius Noble titled Free Organ Accompaniments to 100 Well Known Hymn Tunes.
    There are a number of descant collections published as well. Just to name a few: Westminster Descants by Neary, Descants for All Seasons by Baldwin, The Novello Book of Descants, The Oxford Book of Descants.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Noel Rawsthorne's collection of "400 Last Verses"

That sounds like a collection of death-related poetry.
    Thanked by 2Schönbergian Carol
  • Noel Rawsthorne's collection of "400 Last Verses" is a good starting point.

I agree. A word of caution: in my opinion, many "staples" are conspicuously absent from this tome. Also, some of the tunes are in much higher keys, or the tunes are slightly different from the versions that appear in most Catholic hymnals.

Where the tunes and keys match up, though, it's quite a good book, with many of the standards.
  • hartleymartin
    Anything available that is public domain or creative commons?
  • This site has plenty to purchase. I have purchased several off this site. I use hymn intros, modulations and final verses most every Sunday, and have found many of these books very useful. Especially the ones from the Crystal Cathedral, Frederick Swann and Richard Unfried. Very nice and classy. Though it is probably unusal to hear that type of hymn playing in the Catholic Church, as it is usually more attributed to the Protestant churches. Here is the link.

http://www.opus-two.com/Organ.Hymn.Accomp.html
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Do you have any specific recommendations from that site, CB? Kinda tough to wade through with no guidance
  • Yes, I'll go through the list tomorrow and make a list of some of the decent ones I have bought.
  • hartleymartin
    One thing that would be handy are some short hymn interludes. Not a common thing in the Catholic Church, but it often happens at my church that we need some "extra music" before the last hymn verse whilst the priest finishes censing the altar. The director of music and other organists are good at improvising the alternative hymn accompaniments, unfortunately I am still years away from this.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • 1. Organ Hymns of Praise - Richard Unfreid (Very good, use this often)
    2. Crystal Cathedral Collection (Not listed there, but very good, used every Sunday)
    3. Hymns of Praise and Power - Frederick Swann (Another that I use most Sundays)
    These above books have Intros, Stanza, Interlude, Final Stanza
    4. Ultimate Finishing Touch - Harrison Oxley ar. Mayhew (It's ok, some are strange)
    5. 400 Last Verses - Noel Rawsthorne
    6. Seven Majestic Hymn Introductions Vols. 1 and 2 - Jerry Westenkuehler (These two are pretty good, and have used them quite a bit)
    7. Restrained Last Verses - Mayhew (It's ok, some are decent)
    8. Rejoice and Sing! 20 Hymn Intros - Jerry Westenkuehler (Again very good book)
    9. Pull Out The Stops Vols. 1 and 2 - Augsburg (some of these are challenging)
    10. More Hymns For Occasions - Colin Mawby (definitely different)
    11. Let It Rip - Augsburg (again some challenging pieces)
    12. Last Verse Extravaganza - Mayhew (it's ok)
    13. Introductions, Harmonizations, Accompaniments, Interpretations
    Vols 1 to 6 - Jeffrey Blersch (These are pretty good)
    14. Free Organ Accompaniments - TT Noble (Very nice too)
    15. Finsihing Touches - H. Oxley (It's ok)
    16. Final Flourishes - Antony Baldwin (Very nice)
    17. Fanfares and Finales for Congregational Sining - Lani Smith (Very nice, especially with the trumpet descants, I use this weekly with our trumpet player)
    18. Dynamic Hymn Introductions - Jason Payne (Very awesome book, Jason is an outstanding organist)
    19. Coral Ridge Festival Collection vols. 1 and 2 - Samuel Metsger (Very good, but challenging)
    20. Coral Ridge Collection - Barbara Owens (Another great collection with challenging intros)
    21. Art of Hymn Playing vols. 1 and 2 - Charles Callahan (Pretty decent as well)

I hope this list helps you. Some of the books are pretty good. The ones by Mayhew have a few strange and odd settings, but overall are decent. The 3 top ones are very good, and the Coral Ridge ones are also used pretty often, as well as Jason Payne's.
  • As for short interludes, I am not really too sure about that. I know there are a few books on that page that have them. I usually improvise on either a hymn or chant if I need something to fill after communion. Though most times, I usually just let them get a few minutes of silence to meditate and pray. Depends on the celebrant.
  • SalieriSalieri
    There are some fine descants by Chuck Giffen and others at CPDL.

I have a descant to Howell's MICHAEL that I can scan and send to you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • AP23AP23
    Noel Rawsthorne's collection of "400 Last Verses"

Where would you purchase that? I looked on sheetmusicplus.com, it does have other Rawsthorne stuff, but not 400 Last Verses.
  • CharlesW
    A number of the books listed in this thread are available through the Organ Historical Society online catalog. Go to Google and type in "ohs catalog"
  • You could also click the link above in my first thread, and contact those people. If you are in the states, you could also contact Brodt Music at http://www.mayhewbrodt.com which is the sole distributor of Kevin Mayhew books in the USA, at least at last check. Brodt has several really nice Mayhew collections which might be of interest.

Oh by the way, if you do purchase the 400 Last Verses, don't buy the 200 Last Verses 1 and 2, as the 400 Last Verses is just a compilation of both of those books. They decided to make one book with both of those volumes.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • JKWJKW
    Still a very useful list. Thank you!
  • short hymn interludes. Not a common thing in the Catholic Church

Not true, historically. True because we're either using non-organ-based copyright music, or Protestant hymns. But there a lot of chant-based bits, many of them for harmonium (which tend to be easier).
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • ghmus7
    If you get on Sheetmusicplus.com and search under Gregory Hamilton, you will find alternate harmonizations for just about every hymn tune. Its a pay site, but just let me know what you want and I'll email it to you. ghmus7@hotmail.com
  • Ghmus,

You have an alternate harmonization for On Eagle's wings and Anthem?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You have an alternate harmonization for On Eagle's wings and Anthem?
    Only after imbibing and leaving a well diminshed fifth?
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • ghmus7
    No, because those aren't hymns. LOL