Help with Meinrad Melody Fonts
  • donr
    I use these fonts to make my worship aids. However I just got a new PC with Win 8 and Office 2010. When I try to "Save As" my Word file to a PDF a great number of notes are missing from the PDF file. The staff and text show up fine, its just missing the notes (a pretty important part).
    Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?
  • chonakchonak
    When producing a PDF with an unusual font, make sure that the program you are using is embedding the fonts into the PDF file. If you haven't been doing that yet, see this video for instructions.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    Thank you for the advice, however the problem still persists. The problem I am having is that the staff shows up in all of its glory with all other markings except for those pesky black round thingies that help singers sing.
  • donr
    I just checked the PDF document properties under the Font TAB. The problem is that the Melody A fonts are there but the Melody B fonts are not.
    I have no idea how to make this work.

Signed... Frustrated.
  • donr
    MS Word is actually 2013 not 2010 as stated earlier.
  • chonakchonak
    Instructions for embedding fonts in a PDF file under Word 2013 are here:
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/35082/word-2013-embed-fonts-in-a-document/
  • donr
    Chonak, thanks for the link but that is basically the same instructions for the 2010 version. I have done that and I am still having the same issue. It is imbedding the Melody A font but not the Melody B font.
    I have checked this on another PC and it does the same thing.
    I did not have this issue on my WinXP box with Word 2010.
  • chonakchonak
    As an experiment, you might try using a different word processing program. The free "OpenOffice" software can read and edit Word documents, and can also export the document into a PDF file. If it doesn't work for you, you haven't spent anything.

Can anyone comment on whether they have used Meinrad melody fonts successfully with OpenOffice?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What PDF creator and opener are you using?

I once had a PDF score from Finale->Adobe Acrobat. When opened with (free) Acrobat reader it was fine. When opened by weird off-brand PDF readers it was all stupid looking.
  • donr
    @Chonak I will download the OpenOffice and try that.
    @Adam I thought that might be the issue but I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader XI.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And what for PDF conversion?
  • chonakchonak
    And Adam has a good point about PDF viewers. The Firefox PDF previewer does not handle embedded fonts correctly, whereas they are displayed correctly in Adobe.
  • donr
    @Adam. The converter is being handled by Word 2013 so I do not know what it is.

@Chonak, I view it in Adobe so that is not the issue. For some reason it is not including the Melody B font in the conversion.
    I downloaded "PrimoPDF Creator" now I can simply print the document as if going to a printer. All fonts are carried through.

I will still try OPenOffice when I get a chance.