• Has anyone already upgraded to the Finale 2014? I currently have the Finale 2012 and Sibelius 7.1.3, but am considering the upgrade to 2014 if it is worth it. If you have already upgraded, what are your thoughts about it?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm contemplating the same thing. Finale skipped a 2013 upgrade, so I'll be interested to check out Finale 2014.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CharlesW
    I am still using Finale 2012. Every time I buy a new version of Finale, I want to kick myself. I hate it! Granted, if I used it often, I wouldn't have to re-learn parts of it every time I use it. One of these days I am going to chuck it and buy Sibelius.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • I was surprised they skipped 2013 too. I have been contemplating the upgrade to 2014, but I am interested to know if they really made any major additions or improvements. I know their site had information, but it looked as though you had to watch several videos to really learn about each thing. I was hoping more for a synopsis of anything major to the program. Also, did it seem like the price to upgrade went up? I thought at one point it was only $99 to upgrade.

I love Sibelius as it really easy pretty easy to use, but I like having both programs because they both have strengths and weaknesses that help compensate for each.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's a major upgrade internally--it's 1,000% more stable on my Mac Pro running 10.9. If you are a pc user, and Finale 2012 works for you, and the specific new features aren't ones you need, I doubt there's a compelling reason to upgrade. I'm very excited about a few of the new features that will pertain to orchestral scores. Cross-voice accidentals are awful!

The thing that should be exciting is to see where they go next... They've reengineered so much to prepare for the future over the last 2 releases. Hopefully they don't let that opportunity go to waste.

Honestly, the 2 things that I want still aren't there--dashed ties, and true dashed slurs (as opposed to dashed lines). 2011 was a big upgrade for lyrics handling. The automatic verse numbering has been great.
  • I'm still holding out for a Gregorian font! ;)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    still holding out for a Gregorian font

• BruceL
    Thanks, everyone: I just lost my hard drive, so I need a new copy of Finale (I believe my predecessor just had a personal copy on the church machine.) This is very useful!
  • CharlesW
    You probably already know this, but just in case... Finale offers a special price for church musicians and teachers that is about half the normal price.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • I think that discount is only on full versions, not upgrades. Still definitely worth getting it though.
  • BruceL
    Charles, yes. The last time I bought it, the discounted price was...drum roll...$199! :(