We have met the enemy and he MAY BE us.

BATWOOD!
  • Where's batwood's guitar?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's not that dumb...

Which nicely brings us back to the start of this thread: They walk among us! Happy Halloween everyone.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If those quotes are from Rossini/Pittsburgh, he's only one among other self-appointed sheriffs (my most irritating, N. Montani) who used their substantial publishing and composing reputations to blacklist composers whose musical offerings were in some cases arguably better than the sheriff's.

Rossini also blacklisted N. Montani:
    26. Organ accompaniment to Gregorian Masses by L. Bonvin, P. Griesbacher, Fr. Mathias, N. Montani, J. Otten and J. Singenberger is forbidden because of the new rules which govern Gregorian Rhythm and Gregorian Aesthetics.

• In his quest for musical excellence in parishes of the Pittsburgh Diocese, Fr. Rossini began the publication of the infamous “Black List” in 1931. This was a weekly column in the Pittsburgh Catholic newspaper that listed the churches and organists who failed to comply with the diocesan music regulations. Although it was criticized at times as an unfair and uncharitable technique, its effectiveness was without doubt, as the appearance of a name on the list almost always brought conformity. It was said that the publication of the Black List strengthened the circulation of the Pittsburgh Catholic, as did reports of controversies about musicians and non-approved music programs.

I'd like to think that I was a bigger person than all this, but I know in my heart-of-hearts, that I would have been one of those folks who read that weekly column in the Pittsburgh Catholic newspaper, without fail.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chuck, one could claim a ban on Nicola's accompaniments of chant was a dead letter. But i keeping re-emphasizing Noel's mantra which I've borrowed from Pogo for years as well, we, WE are the enemy of ourselves for any number of real reasons. RoSewig assassinated by Montani, he by Rossini, and the wheel keeps on turning. Just the intrigues that Ostrowski machine-gunned us about Pothier, other Doms, the Vatican curial musicians about the mora vocis also attests to both the nobility and futility of flocking around one guru over another and then arming up.
    And exp1, you're right, most of us here would yield to our natural curiosity and avail ourselves to the mongering of a know-it-all guru cloaked under the pretense of defending praxis and tradition. But I find it a repugnant, repulsive tonic that as a tactic fails the gospel litmus tests. We Americans are so steeped in muckraking in all aspects of our lives, secular and sacred that a lot of us have managed to make careers out such. For every Fulton Sheen out there evangelizing the true Faith, you now have a hundred Charles Coughlins banging away on their laptops.
    It's easy: know your elements, know your recipes, know your tools, prepare your feast and invite. Don't look next door at the Joneses in envy or pride at how their banquet's coming along. Keep your nose in your kitchen and table, and HOME.
  • "For every Fulton Sheen out there evangelizing the true Faith, you now have a hundred Charles Coughlins banging away on their laptops."

This sentence brought a smile to my lips at the end of a particularly strenuous and inconclusive work-day. Thank you. (I'd like to cite it in print at some stage during the future, but I shan't, because I'd want to give credit to its rightful author and I don't know "melofluent"'s real name.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You're very kind, Mr. Stove, thank you.
    Charles Culbreth
  • Weapons of Mass destruction?

TCC: FIFY
    The problem with the Pittsburgh guideline on polyphony is that nowadays it would be a defacto ban on polyphony. But I see the point, as a recommendation, not a ban. I'm a great believer in the Buddy System...have a buddy with you when you swim in deep and choppy musical waters. If you're a tenor, have two.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores