Chinese plainchant in gregorio
  • benstoxbenstox
    Just in case this proves useful to someone in the future, I've managed to produce a Traditional characters Chinese plainchant score in gregorio + lualatex, using the package luatexja. I'm very new to tex/latex/gregorio, but I managed it with some tinkering.

Just install luatexja and call it up with \usepackage{luatexja}.

The following line of code is essential however:

\renewcommand{\char}{\ltjalchar}

Without this somewhere (probably in the preamble) certain gregorio glyphs get replaced, curiously, by roman characters. I had all the pedes for example replaced by "Ë"s on the score. Although clives and puncta didn't seem to be affected, I suspect there are other glyphs that would be in a more melismatic score.
  • This will prove very useful to an acquaintance who is a missionary in China who is working with me to turn the Graduale Simplex into Chinese.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • benstoxbenstox
    Paul,

That's very interesting actually. Do you have any Chinese Simplex propers produced already? Are you aware of any other Chinese Gregorian propers? Please let me know if I can assist you any further in this project.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks, benstox. If you haven't written on the gregorio-users mailing list about this method yet, it would be good to share the info with folks there.
  • AnthonyFok
    Thank you benstox! Good to hear that I am not alone. :-)

The Gregorio and LuaTeX-ja compatibility issue is now reported on Gregorio Project’s GitHub repository here: https://github.com/gregorio-project/gregorio/issues/1107, titled "Square notes and lyrics disppear with \usepackage{luatexja}".
    Thanked by 1benstox
  • This is fascinating! It makes me wish that I could pronounce Chinese and sing it. Some years ago I read somewhere that early Jesuit missionaries to the Canadian Indians had received approbation for putting Gregorian chant into the Indian languages (and I've seen examples of it). How prescient! But, the authorities couldn't yet countenance the same gift to their own European homeland.
  • doneill
    Mandarin Chinese is a language that uses pitch inflection for meaning, so wouldn't it be difficult to translate chant? I ran into that, when trying to set Vietnamese to psalm tones, and it didn't work. Fortunately, the Vietnamese singer corrected it to make sense with the tonal inflections, while staying in the mode, and the result was lovely.
  • benstoxbenstox
    Thanks, Anthony, for reporting this. It seems like Br Samuel had some good ideas for resolving the conflicts.

Some years ago I read somewhere that early Jesuit missionaries to the Canadian Indians had received approbation for putting Gregorian chant into the Indian languages (and I've seen examples of it).

Yes, I remember reading about this not too long ago as well. You can still find some things about it here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121008092144/http://mysite.verizon.net/driadzbubl/IndianMasses.html
    http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2008/04/roman-rite-in-algonquian-and-iroquoian.html

Mandarin Chinese is a language that uses pitch inflection for meaning, so wouldn't it be difficult to translate chant? I ran into that, when trying to set Vietnamese to psalm tones, and it didn't work. Fortunately, the Vietnamese singer corrected it to make sense with the tonal inflections, while staying in the mode, and the result was lovely.

In my experience, with the possible exception of some Chinese folk/classical music (which I can't claim to be especially familiar with), Chinese speakers don't seem to attempt to preserve the tonal nature of their language when they sing. Maybe a native speaker could corroborate? A listener therefore relies somewhat more than normal on context for meaning. This is certainly the case with Gregorian melodies adapted into Chinese that I have heard. That's why your example of the Vietnamese singer sounds very interesting. I wish I could have hear it.
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • AnthonyFok
    Mandarin Chinese is a language that uses pitch inflection for meaning, so wouldn't it be difficult to translate chant?

Mandarin does have 4 tones, which, listed as IPA pitches, are: 55, 35, 214, 51. That said, normal Mandarin speech does not sound very musical in itself, so Mandarin speakers aren't too picky about matching the music to the tones.

Cantonese, on the other hand, is a different story. It has 9 tones, or 6 tones, depending on how you count them. They are:

1. 55 (or 53)
    2. 35
    3. 33
    4. 21 or 11
    5. 13
    6. 22
    7. 5 (Checked tone, same pitch as tone 1 but shorter)
    8. 3 (checked tone, same pitch as tone 3 but shorter)
    9. 2 (checked tone, same pitch as tone 6 but shorter)

As you can see, due to the close intervals between the tones (differing by about a semitone, by a whole tone, a major third, a perfect fifth major sixth, etc.), even normal speech sounds rather musical, and hitting the correct pitches are more important in both aesthetics and in comprehension. Therefore, native Cantonese speakers are rather picky when a song does not fit the 9 tones, and I have heard Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong parishioners complain during Mass when a hymn does not get it right, for example, when a hymn with Chinese lyrics written with Mandarin in mind, or sometimes the lyricist simply couldn't quite find the right words to fit the music. It is very hard to do without deviating too much from the original meaning of the psalm text, for example.

Vietnamese, in a sense, sounds very much like Cantonese. It also has its own 6 tones, and I suppose Vietnamese-speaking parishioners would equally find a song strange if the music doesn't quite match the tones correctly.

(I am a native Cantonese speaker who used to live in Beijing singing with the parish choir in Mandarin. And please excuse my poor English.)

Cheers,
    Anthony
  • MatthewRoth
    Poor English? Surely you jest. That was very interesting, actually.
    Thanked by 2Priestboi eft94530
  • AnthonyFok
    Poor English? Surely you jest.

Thanks! But no, I am serious: I find my own writing very repetitive, long-winded, misusing terminology, and possibly grammatically problematic, and at times unclear, causing confusions and all, as has happened in some of my recent private email messages...

But thank you for your encouragement! :-)

That was very interesting, actually.

Glad that you find it interesting. Here is a rather vivid example, keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it is not sacrilegious:

The word "God" is translated as 天主, the Heavenly Lord, or the Lord of Heaven, in Chinese Catholic literature. (Protestants usually uses 上帝 (Emperor Above) or 神 (God, Spirit).) 天主 is pronounced as /tʰiːn˥ t͡syː˧˥/, similar to "Teen Jue", with the tones 55 and 35 respectively.

Now, if a song uses the same pitch for both characters, and the singer isn't careful in rendering that rising tone in 主 (Lord), it would sound more like /tʰiːn˥ t͡syː˥/ (both with 55 tone), which the listener would likely interpret as 天豬 or "Sky Pig".

To avoid that, some composers would explicitly add a grace note a whole-tone lower than the main note for 主. However, most composers don't do that, and we need to remind our choir members to sing it properly to avoid confusions; think normal speech and Cantopop. (They always do the rising tone properly in Cantopop, haha.)

To make it more extreme, if a song choose to put 主 in a higher note than 天, it would then sound like /tʰiːn˩ t͡syː˥/ (11 and 55 tone) or 田豬 (field pig). Fortunately, no Chinese hymn does something crazy like that, not that I know of anyway.
  • Priestboi
    Would you mind posting a recording?

Unfortunately I only learned Zhuyin and cannot read the characters yet. South African Chinese - Hakka :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The word "God" is translated as 天主, the Heavenly Lord, or the Lord of Heaven, in Chinese Catholic literature. (Protestants usually uses 上帝 (Emperor Above) or 神 (God, Spirit).)

I was told by an Anglican priest who has spent a lot of time in Hong Kong that, because of this translation/language issue, the Chinese government (and many Chinese people) effectively see Catholicism and Protestantism as completely different religions.

Do you find that to be the case?
  • AnthonyFok
    I was told by an Anglican priest who has spent a lot of time in Hong Kong that, because of this translation/language issue, the Chinese government (and many Chinese people) effectively see Catholicism and Protestantism as completely different religions.

Do you find that to be the case?

The mainland Chinese government officially recognizes five major religions in China, namely: Buddhism, Taoism, Catholicism, Protestantism, and Islam. In a sense, Chinese government and Chinese people count Catholicism and Protestantism as different because they have different leaders, or hierarchy, or governance.

But I do think that the Chinese government and many people are aware that Catholicism and Protestantism both believe in the same God, and that one was separated from another some point in history. And many people have at least heard the name Martin Luther.

The difference in translation is a bit of a dividing factor, but then, just about everybody knows that both Catholicism and Protestantism have the same Bible... well, kind of the same, with different translations, etc.

Also, both Catholics and Protestants go to church on Sunday.

Occasionally, some who have been taught misinformation would think they know the difference between the two: "Oh, Catholics worship Mary; they have a Pope ("King of the Religion") and "Christians" don't; "Christians" believe in the Bible alone, divine, free of traditions rooted in human errors, etc.)

However, it also seems that overall Protestants in China aren't as aggressively spreading such misinformation. Some say that because both groups were persecuted under the same Cultural Revolution, Catholics and Protestants in China tend to empathize and respect each other more, and hence less attack against one another.

I would say that the Catholic and Protestant churches do not mingle very often, but there are occasions where there is cooperation, e.g. performing in the same concert, helping the poor and the sick, their leaders making joint statements at government-organized events, etc.

In the case of dismantling crosses from Protestant parish roofs in Zhejiang province (?), the Catholic bishop there did organize at least one protests showing their solidarity with their Protestant brethren.

So, I don't think the populace think of the two as "completely different religions". As a matter of fact, I think many people often confuse the two, especially when the terminologies are ambiguous. You see, "Protestants" in China call themselves "Christians", and their religion is officially called "Christianity" in Chinese. Sometimes with clarification, as in "Christianity (New Religion)". For Catholicism, it is mostly known in Chinese as "Heavenly Lord Religion".

Just my random 2 cents. :-)
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Ben doneill
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanks. That's very interesting.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Anthony your English is excellent.
    Verbose is better for unusual topics.
    I am enjoying this very much.
  • chonakchonak
    There does seem to be difficulty about terminology at times. I watched a Chinese-produced video about Catholicism in China, with English subtitles. (It displayed the activities of the government-approved church on the mainland.) The subtitles contained a few strange expressions: for example, they said that the Catholic Church is also called "the Church of England", and it described the vows of nuns as a "sacrament".
  • doneill
    This is a fascinating discussion, and I am glad to learn something new. Thanks.
  • Chinese is not the only oriental tongue to present difficulties in religious translations. Long ago I was taught that the Episcopal Church in Japan was known as the Holy Catholic Church in Japan (or something very similar to that) because Protestant Episcopal (the official name of the Episcopal Church), when translated into Japanese came out as 'the church of the quarreling bishops'.

This is a very informative thread!
    Many thanks to AnthonyFok for it.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, that isn’t wrong...