Bells at Consecration in OF?
  • Charles,

Thank you.

Not being familiar with the evidence, beyond what you have provided here, I have further questions.

1) In the 1530's Henry VIII declared himself, by Act of Parliament, Supreme Head of the Church in England. Is your (quoted) statement an example of just such a re-appropriation?

2) Do you recognize that the Popes of the era of the Spanish Inquisition similarly needed the help of temporal rulers to protect their (the temporal rulers') realm because heresy was recognized both as a spiritual ill and a social one?

3) Who translated Novella 137 for you?

Observation: the passage from 1 Cor. 14 suggests to me that someone or other wasn't a particularly careful reader, since St. Paul is addressing the use of "speaking in tongues", not merely an audible canon.

Yes, I'm still skeptical on three grounds. 1) The evidence for the alleged position of the early church is still weak; 2) the fact that Trent posits a silent canon suggests that - just as with the case of laymen reserving the Sacred Host in their homes - a practice may have existed in the early Church which, for cause, the saintly popes chose to abandon; Pope Pius XII condemned the idea that just because something was done in "the early church" that it had to be re-discovered in our own day.

Cheers,

Chris
  • CharlesW
    I would agree that many practices changed over time, were dropped, re-discovered, and put back into use - sometimes completely out of context. My issues were with disregarding current liturgical law. Being Catholic musicians means we have to follow it, whether we particularly like it or not. The woods are full of schismatics and Protestants who don't follow any laws of the Church, but hopefully, that doesn't include anyone on this forum. However, one can become entirely too legalistic and hair-splitting on such things. Perhaps it is better to follow the mind of the church rather than look for ways around it.

Justinian. I don't remember which site I copied that from onto a Word document some years ago. I was having a discussion with someone on a related subject at the time and saved it. A Google search will reveal several sources, from Fordham, Google Books, Wikipedia, and others.

Henry VIII, is a case unto himself without satisfactory explanation. The early popes never had powers equal to the emperor, but took on monarchial status and powers when the emperors no longer had any presence or powers in the west. The emperors never apportioned power to themselves, it was theirs to begin with. We are in a mindset of medieval popes and Vatican I pronouncements, which colors our views on the papacy. It wasn't anything like that in the early days. Interestingly, the current pope seems to be reverting to the earlier model. Time will tell.

Spanish Inquisition popes. There have been times when the papacy was weak or under attack by civil forces, and also times when it has been strong. I have sometimes thought that the Spanish aristocrats and throne had as much to gain as the church, from getting rid of rivals. Given that the bishops were mostly aristocrats, it gets a bit murky as to who used whom the most.

Early evidence. We have what we have, until something better is discovered.
  • CharlesW
    Too funny!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The best comment came from Facebooker John Boyden (on Fr. Smith's feed):
    There is a proper liturgical "cover" for this mistake: the celebrant should stage an exaggerated startled "jump" and yelp (think Oliver Hardy) when the horn was sounded by the deacon, turn towards him, raised both arms into the air and shout "YOU! Why, I oughta...!" Following this, the celebrant would chase the deacon once around the altar, stopping when he has arrived at the point from which he began the chase. The deacon scurries to a corner of the sanctuary where he comically cowers for a few seconds. Still at his place, the celebrant, hands on his hips, offers a mock look of derision in the direction of the deacon for a length of time corresponding to the laughter of the congregation. Once the laughter subsides, the liturgy continues.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Charles,

It's amazing how much we agree on, given the size of the chasm which separates us.

I completely agree that liturgical law is not optional. Current law must, surely, be understood within the constant practice and teaching of the Church. Reading liturgical law, I discover that the choir should be understood as part of the community gathered in such and such a place, but that it performs a sacred function--- and so I encourage kneeling in choirs, for the law requires kneeling for the consecration, only to be villified here, among some of those who keep the liturgical law. Go figure. Furthermore, every time I point out that the organ and other instruments can't be used on Good Friday, and ..... other occasions, people tell me to be practical. Mostly, these people also tell me that laws may be written in Rome, but need to be applied in the provinces according to the best judgment of the local pastor or liturgy committee.

And... last but not least, viri selecti, despite its obvious, clear meaning, continues to be treated as empty law.

I will continue to look at the evidence both for the existence of the situation you describe with Justinian and its enduring value. (Once, popes lived in Avignon, after all.)

God bless,

Chris
  • CharlesW
    My choir kneels during the consecration and stands at the Our Father and recites or sings the prayer, depending on the priest. After singing the Proper, a minister brings communion to the loft. The choir walks down from the risers and receives, then returns to sing the communion hymn while standing. I am not aware of any requirement for them to kneel after the Our Father. Keep in mind all of us are no longer young, and some have reached the age where it is more difficult to kneel. The loft has peculiar bench seats with no backs. The back part of the bench slants downward at a 45 degree angle, and is meant for kneeling by folks on the next row up. All hard wood with no padding and not conducive to elderly knees. Some have remarked that they have never seen such an arrangement anywhere else. These seats were installed in 1926 and it is likely that every other church had the good sense not to duplicate them. I have not seen any legislation from the USCCB requiring kneeling after the Our Father, so I don't bring it up.

I have noticed that some kneel in the congregation after returning from communion, but some sit. Not sure of the legislation for the congregation, since I don't deal directly with them. My understanding is they are not required to kneel after the Our Father, either.

I sit at the organ the entire time, since entrance and exit from the instrument is a bit awkward. However, were I in the congregation, I would be under no requirement to kneel. I am Byzantine and we don't do that. LOL.

Organ on Good Friday. We use the organ to accompany singing during Lent, as the regulations allow. It isn't used for any solo works until the Easter Vigil.

A side note. We had a visiting priest Sunday who announced he would be using Eucharistic Prayer IV. Everyone was lost, since none of us had ever heard that one. We are used to Prayer I.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The woods are full of schismatics and Protestants who don't follow any laws of the Church, but hopefully, that doesn't include anyone on this forum.
    Shall we read this as you hoping for their conversion, rather than asserting this (sacred music) forum has nothing to learn from traditions with a considerable head start at vernacular chant & polyphony?
  • CharlesW
    Conversion is good! Too bad we can't only get the converts who bring desirable qualities with them. It doesn't seem to work that way, at times. If others have learned more about vernacular chant and polyphony, it is because they put effort, time, and resources into it. The Catholic Church historically can be headstrong, and dismissive of the efforts and accomplishments of others. That was then. Now, it seems anything goes. Unfortunately, the path of least resistance is, I am sure, of Catholic origin. ;-) My thoughts are that if something is good, fits into the structure of the mass, and is sacred and beautiful, use it. If not, don't.
  • stbenedict
    Bells were introduced in european cathedrals with extremely long and narrow naves -- :cfr the church attached to the monastery at Solesmes -- so that those at the back of the church or those outside would know what happening at the altar they could not see. The use of bells, considered by some be mandatory, is yet another example of a local custom spreading world wide and in the process acquiring some kind of legal status. Another example is the widespread use of red cassocks for altar boys --originally from Portugal. If you study Kunzler' magisterial work on Liturgy you will discover that the appropriate garment is the alb!

Brendan Conway
    brendanconwayatkew@yahoo.co.uk
  • Brendan,

I will, for the sake of argument, accept your historical presentation.

To make this claim, however, is not to diminish the fact that bells became an accepted liturgical item, both in the smaller variety and in the larger variety, and that this is (in part) due to the fact that bells have for many years been used to announce events of great joy and great sorrow. Whether it had been awarded legal status or not misses the larger point about organic development.

Consider a counter example: the reception of Holy Communion in the hand existed at various points in the distant past of the Church's practice. Then it fell out of use. Eventually someone tried to re-introduce it, and it became a reprobated practice. Then Paul VI allowed it, with the ironic argument that those who engaged in it should at all costs prevent the risk of profanation of the Blessed Sacrament. (If you don't understand why it's ironic, read Casti Conubii and Humanae Vitae). Girl altar boys never been allowed or - so far as I know - considered, until someone decided to break the law and hope that no one would enforce the law. Girl altar boys are (regardless of their canonical status) still contrary to the Catholic mind.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    St. Cyril of Jerusalem said:

“When thou goest to receive communion go not with thy wrists extended, nor with thy fingers separated, but placing thy left hand as a throne for thy right, which is to receive so great a King, and in the hollow of the palm receive the body of Christ, saying, Amen.” (Catechesis mystagogica V, xxi-xxii, Migne Patrologia Graeca 33)

"Tertullian and Origen warn the faithful not to permit any particle of the Sacrament to drop on the floor, while they were holding it in their hand at Communion, because that would be. a profanation inflicted on the holiest of objects. Moreover, Tertullian condemns very severely those Christians who touched the body of the Lord at Communion with the same hand with which they manufactured idols for the false worship of the pagans." http://www.catholicculture.org/libra...cfm?recnum=679

Not only that, but early Christians would take some of the Eucharist home with them and have some of it each day during the week. Early Christians were not very good at anticipating the teachings of the Council of Trent. ;-) Yes, they did receive communion in the hand, and even self-communicated at home, but these practice came to be frowned upon in later centuries.

I have read that in some of the English churches, they would fire a cannon at the consecration for the benefit of those in the country side. They rang bells, too. Apparently, everyone was not at mass.

The big mistake, I think, is to look at the time between the Council of Trent and Vatican II and make the assumption that this represents the practices of all the centuries of Christianity. It doesn't. Many things changed over time. This is organic development of the liturgy. You could even make a case that Trent stopped organic development of the liturgy.
  • '...girl altar boys...'
    THIS IS AN OXYMORON. (It is also impossible.)

About Brendan's assertion: it is half correct, but there is more to it than meets the eye (or the ear?). In addtition to the length and poor vantage points of churches was the commotion that was not uncommon in past times when our church-appropriate behavioural aesthesis was not so much as thought of. It was not uncommon for animals (and people) to be wandering around (no pews), for multiple audible conversations to flourish, and for business to be transacted by a populace which needed an alarm to tell them that the holiest moments of the mass were about to happen and that they should quieten down and give due obeissance (to the sacrament they came to see lifted up and not of which to partake). Of course, it's quite nice that in our latter days bells have a less urgent purpose and are the joyous accompaniments to the holiest moments of the mass, as cgz says above.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • kenstb
    This is quite an interesting thread. I have to say that most of you would make very poor attorneys. You never resolve the issue at hand and you keep going off on tangential arguments which also never resolve themselves. The initial question posed was with regard to the ringing of bells at the Consecration. Although I am not a canon lawyer, I am a civil one. In regular law, we have a rule which says that a statute should be given its plain meaning whenever possible. The issue that CGZ continues to make is that the GIRM does not say at 150 that the server "must" ring the bell, but says "the server rings the bell.." etc.. I would suggest that the plain meaning of such a phrase is clear. Of course, if we wish to split hairs ad infinitum, we can argue about better ways of indicating an imperative, but that is a little silly.

As to the reception of the Eucharist in the hand as opposed to on the tongue, it might be argued that at certain times one form or the other was used. In reality, does it truly matter how a communicant receives Christ's body? We should be happy that the faithful still seek to receive the Lord by either means.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... if we wish to split hairs ad infinitum

There are even those who wish to always split their infinitives, too. []purple snark[]
  • kenstb
    Nice! : )
  • CharlesW
    Of course we are not attorneys. WE are going to Heaven! ;-)
  • kenstb
    Sweet! ROFLOL!
  • francis
    kenstb:

As to the reception of the Eucharist in the hand as opposed to on the tongue, it might be argued that at certain times one form or the other was used

Ken. You are the attorney. Why do I keep asking for verification and documents?
  • kenstb
    Why indeed. I think you like proof in black and white. I get my fill of papers at work. On my own time I stick to music.