New CD: "Stella Splendens" by the Schola Sancta Caecilia
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    A group of very talented high school girls, calling themselves the "Schola Sancta Caecilia", formed at the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Grand Rapids, Michigan, have released their one (and only) CD of Marian chants and polyphony, called Stella Splendens.

Here is a sample from their CD. Please stay tuned, as information for ordering this amazing CD will be forthcoming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK7eD-pGID4
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    wow
  • BenBen
    Same. WOW.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Sounds very impressive thus far.
    Here is the press release, made official today:

“Stella Splendens” features unaccompanied sacred vocal music sung by six ladies in high school.

Formed at the parish of Sacred Heart of Jesus in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Schola Sancta Caecilia has been singing for the Extraordinary Form Mass since last year. All of the members are 18 or younger, but their approach to the music is very mature. This CD features Gregorian chant, ancient hymns, medieval polyphony and three recent compositions from the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles in Kansas City. Recorded in Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic church, the CD has a very “live” sound.

With their purity of tone and clarity of diction, the Schola Sancta Caecilia are the "Anonymous Six" of the Midwest. Like the professional group, Anonymous Four, these young ladies sing Gregorian Chant and Medieval Polyphony with an expert tonal blend and a flawless intonation. They also branch out into Renaissance Polyphony and more modern pieces with equal success.
    Kurt Poterack, Adjunct Professor of Music
    Director, Choir and Schola Gregoriana
    Christendom College

I was blown away by the purity of their tone, the blend, intonation and precision of their ensemble and their command of the liturgical music. It prompted me to pass along to them a setting by St.Hildegard of Bingen which they included on their new recording. They are truly using their gifts to praise God. What a pure sound they are projecting--something that more "mature" singers only dream of.
    Linn Maxwell Keller,
    www.thehildegardsingers.com www.hildegardthemovie.com

The Schola has been inspired by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, in Kansas City, with whom the young ladies have had strong personal and family relationships. The sisters generously permitted the schola to record three of their original compositions for this CD. The Benedictines of Mary’s own best-selling CD “Angels and Saints at Ephesus” set a recent Billboard record by residing at #1 on the Classical chart for 13 weeks.

While four of the original members have moved on to college or the religious life, the schola will continue with new members this year.

A sample from “Stella Splendens” is available on YouTube. Physical CDs and downloads are available now on CDBaby.com, and will be available through iTunes and Amazon. All proceeds from the sale of the CD will go to the Sacred Heart of Jesus music program.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Someone should inform the writer of that Press Release that "Anonymous 4" doesn't refer to the number of group members, but is a nod to an unknown music theorist who is referred to by that designation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_IV

Nitpicks aside-
    I am still at WOW.
    Kurt Poterack was making a very clever play on the name of the ensemble in his comparison to this group, in his quote.

I think it's rather clever.

But that's just me.

If you want to send Kurt an email and correct him, you just go right ahead. ;^)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I prefer to bask in my own smug sense of superiority.

It was clever. And, really- I assume that "4" was also a pun on the group's membership. Unless Anonymous IV had some particular qualities not present in Anonymouses I-III or V+.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anonymouses

Anonymoi?
    Anonymice?
  • He's referring to this group, right?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    He is.
    ERMERHGERHD!
    ERNERNERMERS FERRR!
    ER-MER-ZERNG!