Sanctus setting
  • Here is a Sanctus from the Lutheran tradition which I have adapted to the ICEL text. MIDI and Lilypond source can be found on this page: https://sites.google.com/site/hymnsinenglish/home/additional-church-music
    Sanctus (Lutheran - ICEL).pdf
    Thanked by 3Heath CHGiffen ZacPB189
  • Cantorconvert,

Are you, formerly, a Lutheran? Why did you borrow a Lutheran Sanctus and put the ICEL text to it? (Please note that I don't intend to be hostile, but I think the words may come over that way).

As a former Episcopalian, I found that the beautiful music I had grown up singing (Sir Charles Parry, Sir Edward Bairstow, Herbert Howells, Benjamin Britten, Sir Edward Elgar, but also some hymns) had such a draw for me, especially when compared to Here I am, Lord and Be not afraid and On Eagle's Wings. I often go back to the beautiful settings I used as a child, because they represent beauty, where the newer acquainted stuff is the epitome of ugliness.

• I was baptized Lutheran. I have been realizing lately that there are few tonal, congregation, English settings of the ordinary of the mass that are not in a contemporary idiom. In exploring the music from other denominations, I ran across this Sanctus, and remembering it fondly, realized that it was easily adaptable to the current Catholic text.

I actually grew up with the 1950s adaption of this which, much as I have done here, adapted the rhythm to a more free style (the original from 1917 is barred in 4/2). In examining Anglican, American Episcopal, and Lutheran sources, it was surprising to me how much the high church protestants were copying the plainchant idiom which the Catholic church was reviving (the Anglican books really started following Solesmes, after the turn of the 20th century). Then after Vatican II, many Protestants sadly seem to follow the Catholic trends again.