Just.....speechless
  • Jani
    Maybe we could do GRFS (get ready for Sunday) on Friday.
  • I am at masses for 7 and 1/2 hours on Sunday

I've got you beat, 15 hours, lol,,,, yep, Mondays are definitely like Sundays haha
  • CharlesW
    At my age, I couldn't deal with that many hours of one mass after another. I remember those halcyon days of yore when I played and directed for the Protestants. One, I repeat, ONE Sunday service and one choir rehearsal per week. Sounds almost inconceivable to a Catholic musician, doesn't it?
  • I'm visiting the Ghirardelli shrine in Hornitos, CA next month. I'll say hello for you CharlesW. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/hornitos.html
  • CharlesW
    Thanks! But what I really want to do is visit the factory shrine in San Francisco. Wonder if they give samples? Now that would be a religious experience. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gerald_Klaas
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sounds like another possible break-out topic at the Colloquium:

Morning break-out sessions:

Adam Wood: Shaker Music in 21st Century American Catholicism
    Matthew Meloche: The Recto Tono Propers, Kyriale and Hymnal Project (c), and litigation in Parish life
    CharlesW: The importance of Chocolate in the vocation of Parish Musicians
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Jenny
  • Now that last one I would definitely go to.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm filing lawsuits against Salieri right now for even suggesting this.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Adam Wood: Shaker Music in 21st Century American Catholicism

ooh ooh - I can do NPM style liturgical scholarship:
    -Champion a particular style at workshops for several years.
    ...followed by...
    -Giving lectures on the cultural and theological significance of the trending rise in that particular style.

I Simply have a Gift for this sort of work, as it turns out.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • CharlesW

But how are your carpentry skills? Ever make furniture? Shaker furniture is where the money is, not in music. LOL.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Shaker furniture

I read something about Shaker music recently that started with some "you might be surprised" blahblah to the effect of how different their musical style is from what you might expect based on the austerity of their furniture.

And I thought:
    1. I have never thought for a second there was a disconnect between those two manifestations of their collective spirit.
    2. This writer clearly doesn't understand religious cultures at all.
  • CharlesW
    They were/are interesting people, but their practice of celibacy diminished their number to almost extinction. I wouldn't call them austere, but there was an apostolic simplicity in their lifestyle, which was reflected in both their furniture and music. Fascinating people.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey

Simple Gifts: Shaker Music

Was this an intended pun?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Knowing Mr. Wood, I would guess this was very much intentional!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    It's adam. Yes, it's intentional. He's admitted in the past he spends hours crafting some of these puns and jokes.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    He has too much time on his hands. Idle hands... LOL
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Hours. I stay up at night turning them over in my head, turning them and turning them until they come out just right.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I'm filing lawsuits against Salieri right now for even suggesting this.

I'm honored.
  • CharlesW
    Salieri, have you considered filing a countersuit? In Ius Voco Spurius ;-)
  • Blaise

@ SamuelDorlaque, that is precisely what I am wondering: whether the lackluster quality of music is either evidence of or contributory to the rather loss of faith in the Latin Church these days.

This song which I just listened to (the topic of this thread) is similar to the kind which caused me to stop going to my local campus ministry. I am of the opinion that Catholic campus ministries should be examples and teachers to the students especially as to offering the highest quality of divine worship for His Majesty our God. This does not appear-to me, that is-to be it.

Let me add one more thing: the second verse, which discusses the hungry and the poor, will be attractive to many young people. Now, I am not apathetic to the poor, but if you have verses like this in the modern literature, many young people will like this kind of music since it allegedly shows that the Church is not apathetic to these people vs what they see as a Church which is "out of touch with the modern world" (you know the common complaints).

• Jani
    Dear Eagles,
    Might as well close the forum - what with all the sighs and merry-go-rounds here and on other threads, it looks like all you really smart people have already discussed everything, so to hell with the rest of us. Maybe someone can cross reference each thread, then instead of people like me bringing up clearly inane, unchallenging and unhelpful subjects, well by golly we can just hunt for all the superior wisdom that y'all have shared.
    One of the Turkeys
  • melofluentmelofluent
  • Blaise
    I must apologize, Jani, for this was not intended as personal affront to you. Are you new here? Welcome then to Musica Sacra!
  • Jani
    Thanks Paul. I've been causing trouble around here for right around a year, and for the most part, it's a great place to learn and pick brains.

I will only speak for myself when I say that the impatience some long-timers express at things that have been visited repeatedly only serves to make me feel stupid for sharing my experience of a thing. Perhaps those threads are better ignored by those not interested in them.

Charles, I hope you understood the eagles comment was with respect to that old joke about it being hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys. Whether or not I understand the half of what you say sometimes, the fact that I feel like a turkey is no reflection on you.

I shouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape, and for that I apologize to the forum.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Jani. There are folks haunting here, some visible, who are MENSA-level geniuses and of whom I cannot be counted among their number. We're all on a learning curve, and at 43 years service at age 62 I still fall into naivete and hoof in mouth disease. So, we keep the faith in our bailywicks, never give up learning and sharing and if we "code out", you'll keep us honest! All's well.
  • CharlesW
    Don't worry about the impatience of the "long-timers." Some of them are far too full of themselves, to begin with. Perspective is everything when it comes to church music. Your situation, pastor, and congregation may not reflect those of the "long-timers." Some musicians, essentially, have it made and work in situations where good sacred music is prized and appreciated. Others, unfortunately, do not. Despite the number of times a topic or question is repeated, it may be new to the inquirer. Most of us are not in that "ideal" musical situation yet, and are simply working to improve music where we find ourselves. So ask away, if you have questions. Those who object will live to be obnoxious another day - is that a good thing? LOL.
  • Remember that it's the internet. Many people that seem really learned are just posers (like me).
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Blaise
    Jani,

That is what I thinking I was thinking when you mentioned 'eagles', though I could not help think but of an allusion to another 'eagle', namely one which is included in the name and lyrics of a song I particularly detest. :)

Paul
    MusicaSacra's on call ruckus maker since 2007, still learning like all
  • CharlesW
    I find all questions interesting, even when they are not learning opportunities. Some questions deal with rites I don't experience often, or at all. Others bring up things I have forgotten. Questions are good!
    Thanked by 2melofluent canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One improvement in our dialogues that could improve climatology here is that "we" refer to "ourselves" as "us" always, rather than ever deeming some of our own as "they/them." And this advice doesn't infer the royal "we," but the common "we." And I go further to suggest we include the Haas', Ambrosetti's and Flowerday's among "us."
    Thanked by 1jeffinpa
  • francis
    melo

we are concerned that yous and us may be getting confused about who the them and theys really are. dig?

sincerely,

me
  • melofluentmelofluent
    fran
    we's and us both agree they's all about you's.
    its
  • francis
    That is exactly my thinking