Verses for antiphons
  • What do you use for verses for the Introit? Same psalm as the Communion?
  • Most introits use the psalm from which the antiphon text is taken, I believe.
  • Yes, but it's a bit more complicated than that. Antiphons found in the Graduale have specific psalm verses assigned, however the antiphons in the Missal do not. Many of the antiphons for memorials of Saints are not taken from the psalms. Since I've started using the propers as found in the Missal for daily Mass (often chanting them to a simple psalm tone when there isn't time to come up with something more substantial), then I'll take the psalm from the Graduale even if the antiphons don't match. When I do compose a simple melody for the antiphon, then I will typically do so in the same mode as the antiphon in Graduale. But that's just me. I'm not aware of any official rule. Conceivably, if the procession lasts longer than than just the Missal antiphon, it could be extended by the singing of any psalm verses, or perhaps instrumental interludes or even the singing of a hymn! For the entrance at a daily Mass without a procession, the antiphon alone would likely be sufficient.

I know there are those who argue the Missal antiphons should only be read and never sung, and while that may be the historical practice, my reading of the GIRM allows for--even promotes the singing of either. Lot's of choices (perhaps too many) for the OF Mass.
  • On this website is the collection of Psalm verses for Introits, Offertories, and Communions. Under RESOURCES, go the Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum, they are
    arranged according to the Liber Usualis. You can use them as examples, if you need
    to adapt for English use. This resource has been a great help to me, especially for long
    processions.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    For all its defects, the rejected 1998 Sacramentary (which can be found online for those who know how to do a thorough Internet search), provides excellent verse suggestions for the Missal antiphons.