cello and violin
  • canadashcanadash
    My sons are quite accomplished string players and I'd like to find them some simple and appropriate music to play as a duet at Mass. We sometimes have long periods of silence because the church is so large and it takes time to accomplish actions such as the collecting of gifts or communion procession.

I am not a string player and don't have much knowledge of this repertoire. I'd also like to avoid asking the organist to accompany them. I've asked him to "fill in the spaces," but he comes up with all sorts of excuses.

I do realize that silence is important, and I don't want to be rid of it all, but outside of Advent and Lent, I'd like to keep the silence a little less obvious.

Thoughts on silence are also welcome.

• CharlesW
    I have met musicians who act as if they are accompanying a silent movie at mass - constant music with little or no silence. Doesn't sound like that fits in your situation, and the organist may not have enough material prepared to fill in to that degree. Still, you could have some string pieces in places where there is awkward silence - hard to describe awkward, but we all know it when we hear it.
    Thanked by 2canadash R J Stove
  • francis
    One very quick idea is to play gregorian chant on violin with a drone on root and/or root and fifth on cello
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Another possibility is to use SB polyphonic motets, substituting violin for the Soprano and cello for the Bass parts. For example, you might try the attached 2-part SB Ave Maria setting.
    Giffen-Ave Maria a 2-SB.pdf
  • Congrats on your two sons and I know their talents will go to the glory of God. As far as silence, I agree with Charles that it's hard to describe awkward and that you'll know it when you hear it. However, I sometimes use sacred silence, especially after communion just prior to the closing prayer. If there is a second collection, however, I'll usually play something then. But, I do believe in certain silent areas in mass.
    Thanked by 2canadash francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Using motet music (SB in this case) as instrumental music can also be useful for acquainting singers with the music before having them learn to sing it. A little familiarity goes a long way as an instructional and appreciation method.
    Thanked by 2canadash francis
  • KARU27
    Canadash, are you familiar with a publisher called "Last Resort Music"?
    They have arrangements of many classical favorites for duets, trios, etc. for all kinds of instrument pairings. Maybe you would find something suitable in there, maybe not. I use it a lot for gigs / weddings. It's not exactly written for Mass, but there may be something of a suitable character.
    Thanked by 1canadash