• So... I have fallen for the Orbis Factor Kyrie. I have always liked it, but had the opportunity to actually chant it today for the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross and I'm attached.

The only time we chant the Kyrie in Greek is during Lent. Even though Mass XI is listed for Ordinary Time, have any of you used it during Lent? We typically use the ICEL Chants and Mass XVIII for Sundays in Lent, but I think the Orbis Factor chant really drives the penitential reverence home for Lent in a way that the XVIII and XVII Kyrie settings don't.

Thoughts?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Talk to your Pastor about beginning to do the Kyrie during Ordinary Time. Then do the Orbis Factor during Ordinary Time.

On Sundays during Advent and Lent, use one of the two Kyrie XVIIs.

Though obviously they can be exchanged if need be.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would keep Kyrie XI for Ordinary time; if it is used during Advent & Lent people will associate it with those seasons, then, if you do do the Kyrie during OT people will wonder "why are we using Lent music?", like singing a hymn set to ST FLAVIAN during Christmas.

What your pastor does reflects a mistaken practise that I have seen in many places: "the Kyrie is penitential so it should only be sung during the penitential seasons." By this logic we should only sing the Agnus Dei on the days it occurs in the Gospel reading. 'B' as in 'B', 'S' as in 'S'.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    In Mass XVII, is there a preference between the two Kyries, or a traditional usage associated with one or the other? I think "b" appears in the earlier edition of the Parish Book of Chant.

I'd agree that Kyrie XI should be kept in Ordinary Time, if at all possible.
  • SalieriSalieri
    In Mass XVII the Mode VI Kyrie is often reserved for Gaudete and Laetare Sundays, the Mode I Kyrie sung the rest of the time, but this isn't binding. Incidentally, the Mode VI chant is the only one that appears for that Mass in the Ratisbon/Medici books.
  • SalieriSalieri
    However, just to make things complicated, the Sanctus for Sundays of Advent & Lent in the Kyriale Romanum, is the Sanctus for Sundays Per Annum in the Kyriale Cisterciense. Go figure.
  • jpal
    To make things less complicated, the assignments of some collections to certain seasons is fairly arbitrary, so feel free to follow them slavishly, nod to them, or if appropriate, ignore them completely.
    Thanked by 3Jahaza Liam toddevoss
  • Thanks everyone. Excellent point about the seasonal association. *sigh* Fine. I just like the sound of Orbis Factor better for Lent than the actual Ordinaries assigned to Lent. THEY sound very Ordinary Time-ish to me. BUT, on the other hand, if we assign it to Ordinary Time, we can do it far more often! :)
  • Love stories for Kyrie XI abound, you are not alone!
    I've run a chant camp for three years. The first two years we learned mass XI. This past July we learned Mass VIII. The biggest complaint? The kids missed Kyrie XI!!! They had a hard time not singing it.

And after what Joey B did at this past Colloquium, with his jazz stylings...

Lets just say I love it even more!!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    To make things more complicated, I see that there are actually three Kyries in Mass XVII — two in Mode I, and then the more familiar one in Mode VI.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Another question on the Orbis Factor Kyrie: The asterisk — before which the cantor intones, and after which the rest of the schola presumably would enter — is in between the words "kyrie" and "eleison." Is that at all flexible? Could the cantor intone the whole first "kyrie eleison," with the schola and/or congregation responding in kind?

That's sort of what I'm used to hearing with Kyrie XVI — that is, a simple call-and-response pattern for each of the three invocations.

EDIT: A quick forum search for the word "sixfold" reveals several related threads. (In other words, never mind!) ;)

SECOND EDIT: Including this thread from a year-and-a-half ago… which I started! *facepalm*
  • chonakchonak
    The asterisk is just advisory.
  • The asterisk is just advisory.

It's the peanuts. They're complimentary.
  • There are different ways of doing it. One common way is to use a call-and-response between the Cantor and the Choir+Congregation for a 6-fold kyrie.

Another method is to have one cantor sing up to the first asterisk, then two other cantors of the same voice up to the double asterisk and the whole choir from there to the end.

It is entirely arbitrary. There are various customary practices and often I use different ones entirely based upon what I happen to feel like doing on the day.

I would recommend keeping Orbis Factor as the Ordinary Time mass setting.

If nothing else, you can get away with using only four chant masses to cover the liturgical year:

Mass VIII - De Angelis - for feasts/solemnities, Eastertide and Christmastide
    Mass XI - Orbis Factor - for Sundays in Ordinary Time
    Mass XVII - Sundays of Lent and Advent
    Mass XVIII - Weekdays Masses

I would recommend pushing the use of the ICEL English Chant Mass as per the missal. However, I ALWAYS use the Greek Kyrie instead of the English. I would also recommend using the same chants in Latin (this is the same as Missa Simplex I from the Kyriale Simplex.)

When Jubilate Deo was issued in 1974, it was intended to form the absolute minimum gregorian chant repertoire expected to be used by all parishes. I have spent the past two years pushing the use of these chants in my college chaplaincy in the hope that most of my fellow students will know a number of basic chants when they graduate and hopefully they will encourage their parishes to use them.
  • Chapter 13 of Professor Mahrt's "Musical Shape of the Liturgy" is devoted to the Orbis Factor Kyrie. The table at the end of chapter 5 is also of considerable interest.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I have listened to two priests on two separate occasions complain about the use of the ICEL chant ordinary on the grounds that those are proper to Masses of the Dead. I know they aren't, but just sayin'.
  • Well... the ICEL melodies (for Sanctus and Agnus Dei) are the same as those for a funeral Mass, but also are used for weekdays in Advent and Lent. I'm thinking they were chosen based on their simplicity and familiarity more than anything else. Of course, the Kyrie comes from Mass XVI (weekdays in Ordinary Time) and the Gloria from Mass XV (please correct me if my memory about this is faulty).

Just last weekend a priest complained to me about the Gloria from the ICEL Missal chants, saying it was a particularly gloomy sounding melody. I think he was wishing for the Misa de angelis melody, which he finds more cheery.
  • Mix it up. Use Kyrie XII and Agnus Dei Ad Libitum II. They are from Missa Simplex IV anyway.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Going back to the asterisk issue, I'm looking at the de angelis kyrie for All Saints. Could I have the cantor intone to the asterisk and then have the congregation respond with the "eleison" considering it is the same each time? I think they might get a bit lost if I tried to have them do the call/response method.
  • The way I understood the matter, qas that the first cantor intones to rhe first asterisk and the the other cantors join from there.
  • BenBen
    The way HM describes is indeed the normative way, but if you feel it's the best fit for your congregation bkenny, go ahead. It's better that chant be introduced imperfectly than not introduced at all.

I once was at an ordination where they used the Agnus from Mass VIII, and the congregation simply responded Miserere nobis/dona nobis pacem, and the choir did the rest.

Ideal? Probably not. Good that they introduced chant? Sure was.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Priestboi
    Add the tonic as a drone and you are all set :D
  • BGP
    What priestboi said. Although it really freaks some people out.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Ben, that was sort of my thought. If I don't scare them away by trying to get them to sing the melismatic "Kyrie" right away, they'll hear it enough that they'll be able to sing it when we DO start chanting it correctly.

I LOVE the tonic drone, but not sure that will help my very Haugen/Haas oriented congregation get a handle on all those neumes! :)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    a handle on all those neumes

A neumatic drill?
  • canadashcanadash
    Two years ago our church went from Haugen/Haas to the Gregorian settings just as Hartley has described. At regular Sunday Masses, I must admit, there is not a lot of participation. At daily Mass, there is a great deal of participation. On special feasts, when the "tried and true" portion of the congregation come, there is also a lot of participation from the congregation regardless of the Gregorian Mass setting we sing.

I realize that congregational participation is not an issue for some. I'm just stating what is happening at our suburban parish. I think time is key.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We sing the Orbis Factor in Lent regularly and in ordinary time. Our repertoire is not expansive enough to follow the assigned times for the ordinaries.
    There does not seem to be any objection to singing the Mass of Creation at any time, nor was there ever any objection to the Missa Bossa Nova sung at any time. So I am certain that the Orbis Factor would trump these "timelss" gems, de facto.
  • Resurrecting.
    I had found a thread that addressed this, I thought, but I can't find it.

When introducing these Ordinaries, with particular focus on the Kyrie, how did you handle it? Did you just dive right in? Sing it before Mass? Also, how did you handle the final congregational response with the "flourish" considering they don't hear it before they have to sing it?

I have been itching to use de Angelis for Solemnities, Christmas, Easter, etc., but it is not familiar and isn't the easiest of the Kyrie. Would it be better to hold off and start with XI after Christmastide?
  • canadashcanadash
    Does your congregation know the Gloria? It's not that difficult. So I might begin with the Gloria and Sanctus or Agnus Dei. For the other parts do the setting for weekdays. At Easter, add the Agnus Dei/Sanctus. Next Christmas, add the Kyrie. It worked for us and it didn't stress the choir. Now we sing all of the ordinary from the same Mass. You could play the parts as a prelude or at Communion if there is time as well. We just started singing it and didn't worry about practise.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We just started singing it and didn't worry about practise.

That's what we do, too. We sing a new Mass setting before Mass once or twice and the first couple of times, the schola sings everything, but after a week or two, we sing it antiphonally between the sopranos on one phrase with the altos, men and congregation singing the alternate phrase.
  • Wow. Not sure our community would catch on so quickly.
  • It's a moot question, apparently. According to the pastor, he wants to recite the invocations.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Bringing this back one more time. My Pastor has officially placed a moratorium on Latin and Greek in the liturgy. (He assures me this is not permanent....) Can anyone think of a way to use the vernacular translation with the authentic Gregorian melody of Kyrie XI? Ive gone through a few in my head, but they all feel rather awkward and arbitrary. I feel this might be a good way to continue with the progress of learning chant.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    *Grumpy Cat*
    No.

Use a chant setting of the Kyrie (Lord have mercy) in English, written with the English language in mind. Don't try to fit English words with authentic Gregorian melodies. The results are almost always not desirable.

There's the one in the Roman Missal, one in CBWIII based on Kyrie IX but using only the first Kyrie as its base, a setting or two in the Lumen Christi Missal, and countless others that I don't recall.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bkenney, it's sad that your pastor has seen fit to ban Latin and Greek even temporarily, and your patience and resolve to find other music are exemplary. Don't give up and hopefully, he'll change his mind. What are things coming to? Will we all soon have to have permits to sing Latin in church like the poor folks in the FFI?
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I felt that was probably the answer.

JulieColl - Thank you! I would be remiss if I didn't mention that others on this forum have seen my not-so-patient side. :) I'm not quite sure how he thinks they'll be ready for it to be reintroduced down the road if they're not hearing it at least on a semi-regular basis, but he has a plan.... I hope.
  • chonakchonak
    If the parish gets used to singing beautiful music for a few years, then they'll be more willing to accept beautiful music in Latin and Greek. Having beautiful music for the Mass is more important than the language anyway.

Have a look at the Mass settings by Jeff Ostrowski and Richard Rice, and whatever you choose to implement, do provide the people with copies of it in the pew, and phase the setting in, one piece at a time.
  • Pull out the Tallis and Byrd. "If Ye Love Me" is a good one.
  • BenBen
    Check out CCW's ordinaries