Fun thread: Non Sacred Music/Liturgy interests?
  • francis
    funny you should ask...

i have been working on my 'brain map', (actually, I call it a "brain knot") for a couple of weeks. it is far from complete, but it's a good start. (see file attached)

the end of the line (boxes in black) are the deliverables, or completed projects. i only included a single example of each deliverable, but for some there are hundreds, especially in the music composition arena.

i haven't included my hobbies, so here are some... kite flying, good german beer, single malt scotch, excellent pipe tobacco, chess, checkers, pool, fishing, kyacking and canoeing, biking, scrabble (words with friends-if any of you want to take me on!), driving (fast in my old BMW-it's gone now), driving (off road in my Ford Expedition in the mountains), camping, building fires, grilling, burning things and blowing things up (fireworks), shooting my .22 plinker (ruger), organizing EVERYTHING in little boxes to the nth degree, Cheezitz (I once offered to be the Cheezitz test taster for Kelloggs, but all they did was send me a free box), thrift shop/yard sale buys (good buys lately- LG phone car charger, expensive binders (for 1 dollar), carry bags (tourister, etc), scotch glasses) water colors, acrylics on canvas, pencil sketching, xcel spreadsheet creation, selling junk for money and then buying beer with the killings, 'Yes' progressive rock, electronica, wood carving, designing and building things made of wood, hand made business cards, greeting cards, signage, displays, writing, studying theology, mariology, angelology and putting it to good use, developing corporate brands, products, services, hardware and software, developing apps and delivery mechanisms, time pieces, photography (canon elf), and more.
    1418 x 1774 - 164K
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • chonakchonak
    francis likes Kraftwerk? I do too.

Oh: Craftwork. never mind.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Chonak

Lots of Progressive groups. Yes is best.
  • ryandryand
    Interpretive dance to Kraftwerk.
  • chonakchonak
    Bokuwa ongakuka dentaku katateni
  • MatthewJ, is George Winston next? ;)

You guys are going to think I am either:
    A) fifteen; or
    B) incredibly immature

1. Music in general. I love to sing, all the time
    2. Spending time with hubby and daughter
    3. Listening to my 4yo randomly sing mass parts as she plays with her toys or puts a puzzle together
    4. Anime
    5. Comic books
    6. Young Adult Lit (I know, it is terrible, I can't stop myself! I read it cuz it is, for the most part, less smutty)
    7. Video games
    8. Homesteading/sustainable gardening
    9. Architecture (my husband has a degree in Architecture)
    10. Historic Preservation (his Masters)
    11. Complete theology geek
    12. Home improvement
    13. Dubstep. Yes, I said dubstep. I know.... *hangs head*
    14. Strategy/boardgames, card games
    15. Staring at cosplayers who meander in the park across the street from their anime con.
    16. Reading non-fiction (usually exegesis, Christology, apologetics, etc)
    17. Pontificating
    18. Martial arts movies
  • Philothea,

I think we should be friends.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    wub wub wub wub wub wub
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • jpal
    And it'd be wierd (around here, anyway) to see the organist dressed in camo on Sunday mornings.

Salieri -- when I was a cadet at West Point and accompanied the cadet Catholic choir, there were Sundays I had to show up in BDUs and play the organ in combat boots.

(This is the organ in the little Catholic chapel, mind you -- not the cockpit console of the big Cadet Chapel.)
  • jpal
    -spending time with my wife and 2-year-old daughter
    -Cooking anything (but especially using my Weber kettle grill as a smoker)
    -Jazz piano
    -trying to imitate Ralph Stanley (in fact, trying to sing the SEP a la Ralph Stanley...)
    -religious/liturgical geography (my BA is in geography)
    -reading maps, finding creative and roundabout ways to get places
    -reading books (when I have time, which is not often): Netherlands history (only because Sweelinck is my favorite organ composer); early Egyptian monasticism; presidential biographies; fiction too -- latest is Allen Tate's "The Fathers"
    -St. Augustine, St. Francis de Sales
    -whittling (not as much lately)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    -trying to imitate Ralph Stanley (in fact, trying to sing the SEP a la Ralph Stanley...)

That's not a hobby, there's a foot note in the American edition of the GIRM allowing the cantillation by a soloist in the, and I quote, "High Lonesome."
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I love that the following appears on Francis Koerber's own mind map:

Information Architecture > Mind Mapping > Francis Koerber
    Thanked by 2Kathy francis
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Shadow Puppets
  • Church-crawling (ticked off another twelfth-century chapel the other weekend), watching the local wildlife (hen harriers, seals, hermit crabs, the occasional gyrfalcon), reading anything I can lay my hands on (currently Joseph Swain's excellent "Sacred Treasure", but before that a couple of pro cyclists' memoirs, and before that a history of Fairport Convention, and before that a bunch of Cold War thrillers), showing people round a Neolithic chamber tomb (I actually get paid for that!), cycling for pleasure and fitness and this year - after a 23-year break - for sport, bike restoration (about to strip down my early 80's Ernie Clements touring bike for a complete rebuild), twentieth-century British art (I wrote the book on the sculpture of Leon Underwood), reading/writing/talking about the subject of my doctoral thesis (the literary re-appropriation of Latin liturgical hymns, from Walter Scott to Christina Rossetti), listening to music (folk music, esp. British, esp. Scottish, esp. Orcadian; prog - more Genesis than Yes in my case; Sleater-Kinney; The Tiny; and all points in between), teaching First Holy Communion class, stone carving, photography, letter press printing, bookbinding, beer, buns and Firefly. I spent a couple of hours earlier turning a shoe box into a doll's house with my daughter, which is the best thing of all.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Interpretive dance to Michael Joncas
  • francis
    Interpretive dance to Schoenberg
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You have to realize that not all of these interests have persisted throughout my 73 years. I'm sure I've forgotten several items. Of course, one has to start with food (I cook extensively and love to eat).

Baking bread
      St. Croix sourdough (white, rye)
      Rye (onion-dill, Jewish seeded, marble, pumpernickle, buttermilk)
      White (baguette, boule, buttermilk loaf, Cuban round loaf, Italian, etc.)
    Pickling
      Cucumbers (dill, garlic, mustard, bucket, etc.)
      Peppers (sweet, mild, hot)
      Other veggies (eg. eggplant, carrot, cauliflower)
      Relishes and sauces
    Smoking meats and sausage making
      Polska kielbasa, Ukrainiski kowbassa
      Krakowska, Kabanosy, Bratwurst
      Baby back ribs, Pork loin
      Poultry
    Dining (Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Indian, among others)
      Jucy Lucy (Matt's Bar & Grill, Minneapolis)
      Blackened walleye pike (Seasons Tavern, Hudson)
      Zarape (Azul Tequila, Hudson)
      Chiles relleno (my go-to favorite test of Mexican restaurant)
      Mongolian grill (B.C. Mongolian, Stillwater)
      Pasta e fagioli (Yarusso's, St. Paul)
    Home cooking favorites
      Blue Lucy (blue cheese Jucy Lucy) burgers
      Bratwurst with grilled peppers and onions on a brat bun
      Fajitas, Soft tacos, Quesadillas
      Pasta dishes galore
      Buttermilk oatmeal pancakes
      Chinese & Stir fry (Hunan, Szechuan, Mongolian)
      Meat loaf
      Vareniki/Pierogi
      Kholubtsi/Golembki
      Pork chops or roast cooked with wild rice
      Bavarian or Polish style sausage & kraut
      Chili (several varieties from home cooking to chili cook-off competitions)
      Stuffed peppers
      Barbeque baby back ribs (smoked or not)
      Indian food (including Rogan Josh, Kholapuri Lamb/Mutton, Kadai Gosht, Murgh Makhni, Jhinga Masala, Pork/Chicken/Duck Vindaloo, Palaak Paneer, Dum Gobi, Sookhe Aloo, Baingan Bartha, Jhinga Samosas, Chole, Chappati, Puri)

Reading (mystery/espionage, science fiction, fantasy, historical and other novels, poetry, religion, music, mathematics)

Children's/Youth/Young adult literature and fantasy (thanks in part to my children): Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), Chronicles of Narnia & the Perelandra Trilogy (Lewis), Harry Potter, The Host (much better than the Twilight series), Redwall series (Jacques), Inkheart series (Funke), His Dark Materias (Pullman), Star Wars novels

Dyeing Ukrainian Easter Eggs (Pysanky)

Playing cards (bridge, euchre, cribbage, oh heck)
    Chess, Go, Sudoku, Crossword puzzles

Packers and Redskins football
    Cardinals and Twins baseball
    Lynx basketball
    Soccer (youth to World Cup)

Composing/arranging/editing, singing, choral music, early music, oboe & English horn, flute & piccolo, CPDL, Zephyrus, Phipps Festival Chorus & Oratorio Society, River City Chorale

8 children, including 4 daughters-in-law and soon to be 2 sons-in-law
    11 grandchildren
    Two longhair miniature Dachshunds
    And especially, my dear wife
  • francis
    Chuck

We need to have a picnic at your house. It could fall under professional dev or perhaps a silent retreat!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Gavin BruceL
  • melofluentmelofluent

Baking bread
    St. Croix sourdough (white, rye)
    Rye (onion-dill, Jewish seeded, marble, pumpernickle, buttermilk)
    White (baguette, boule, buttermilk loaf, Cuban round loaf, Italian, etc.)
    Pickling
    Cucumbers (dill, garlic, mustard, bucket, etc.)
    Peppers (sweet, mild, hot)
    Other veggies (eg. eggplant, carrot, cauliflower)
    Relishes and sauces
    Smoking meats and sausage making
    Polska kielbasa, Ukrainiski kowbassa
    Krakowska, Kabanosy, Bratwurst
    Baby back ribs, Pork loin
    Poultry
    Dining (Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Indian, among others)
    Jucy Lucy (Matt's Bar & Grill, Minneapolis)
    Blackened walleye pike (Seasons Tavern, Hudson)
    Zarape (Azul Tequila, Hudson)
    Mongolian grill (B.C. Mongolian, Stillwater)
    Pasta e fagioli (Yarusso's, St. Paul)
    Home cooking favorites
    Blue Lucy (blue cheese Jucy Lucy) burgers
    Bratwurst with grilled peppers and onions on a brat bun
    Fajitas, Soft tacos, Quesadillas
    Pasta dishes galore
    Buttermilk oatmeal pancakes
    Chinese & Stir fry (Hunan, Szechuan, Mongolian)
    Meat loaf
    Vareniki/Pierogi
    Kholubtsi/Golembki
    Pork chops or roast cooked with wild rice
    Bavarian or Polish style sausage & kraut
    Chili (several varieties from home cooking to chili cook-off competitions)
    Stuffed peppers
    Barbeque baby back ribs (smoked or not)
    Indian food (including Rogan Josh, Kholapuri Lamb/Mutton, Kadai Gosht, Murgh Makhni, Jhinga Masala, Pork/Chicken/Duck Vindaloo, Palaak Paneer, Dum Gobi, Sookhe Aloo, Baingan Bartha, Jhinga Samosas, Chole, Chappati, Puri)

NONE OF WHICH I CAN FIND ON MY WEIGHT WATCHERS' APP!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ANOTHER CRIBBAGE PLAYER! WOOT!
  • francis
    Melo

Too much navel gazing and you will waste away.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Too much navel gazing and you will waste waist away.

FTFY.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Flying fish puppets.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is that puppets of Flying Fish?
    Or do you fly puppets of regular fish?
  • MJO,

Wonderful to know that there are other royalists around. Viva Cristo Rey!

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Jani
    Anyone else cut stained glass? I made a window for my church.
  • francis
    Jani

Can you post a pic?
  • Jani
    I've just spent an hour looking for one :-p I'll take another one the next time I go by and see if I can post it.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • wub wub wub wub wub wub

Ohnos! I went "dub wub wub" when I meant to go "dub wub dub dub"! *hangs head in shame*

-------

*wonders if anyone gets the reference* I'm thinking you may all just be too civilized for me ;)
  • JennyJenny
    Reading: historical mysteries, science fiction

Theology: esp Benedictine (both St. Benedict and the Holy Father varieties. I'm an Oblate)

Gardening/canning: this year so far, I've put up peaches, peach butter, plum jam and salsa. Next come crushed tomatoes, more peaches, applesauce, apple butter, carrot and daikon pickles. Cranberry jelly when it's closer to Christmas.

Homeschooling my 12 year old and coping with the fact that my other two are in college!

Knitting: just finished a shawl for myself. Now on to the scarves I have planned as Christmas presents

Teaching myself to read Latin better.

Drinking red wine and pretending I know how to comment on it. 'Hmmm...hints of blackberry, oak and pretentiousness"

Glad to see there are so many Trekkers on the board. TOS is my favorite but you just can't beat Jean Luc Picard!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Many Gregorian chant nerds are Trekkies? I'm shocked. (/sarcasm)
  • charchar
    Music
    Motorcycling
    Driving my old '58 Chevy Apache
    Gardening
    Camping
    Horse riding - have an old mare that is a grand daughter to Secretariat (one of many grandbabies of Secretariat, I understand)
    TaeKwonDo - started as an adult and just earned my 2nd degree and started my own school
    Theatre
    Fitness
    Outdoors
    Cooking, canning
    Dancing - though not many do that any more or even know how, and it's really tough to find a gentleman who can dance:(
    Fishing, anything outdoors
    Wine consumption!!!
    Traveling
    Want to sky dive someday...
  • gregpgregp
    I like Star Trek, but I like Babylon 5 even more. Puer natus est...

http://youtu.be/Jli3ruqWYlc
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Jenny
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Now Jenny, you know not all of us enology freaks are pretentious.....I'd say we're more ostentatious. But don't forget to use words like "nose, tannic, lavendar, old sneakers, phat, medicinal (you should have that one down) and Rubens." (Last one is my favorite obfuscation, ie. "I like my meritages to be like my women, ala 'Rubens!'" {full bodied}) Remember, I trained under the best while at the NOLA Chant Intensive, the famed Wine Institute of New Orleans (WINO.) Mahrt, Ballou, Wendy, me graduated with honors. Couldn't find the church afterwards though.
    Char, glad to meet you. My eldest is a Char who sings as well. Love another motorcycling wine enthusiast 24/7.
    Thanked by 2char Jenny
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Shouting things into a megaphone pointed out car window while driving down the street.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood tomboysuze
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    like Star Trek, but I like Babylon 5 even more

ST was my first love.
    But, yeah- B5 is clearly artistically superior in pretty much every way.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • Kathy

I agree wholeheartedly.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • How could I forget:

- British mysteries
    - Playing the penny whistle (prolongs sipping guiness or whiskey)
    - Practical jokes
    - embarrassing my kids with goofiness- no one told me how fun that would be!!
  • collecting Pre-Vatican II Catholic hymnals (and recording, disseminating, preserving this music)

running
    hiking/mountain climbing
    kayaking
    biking

Polish restaurants

teaching computers

60s music (pop, rock, folk)

my dog
  • Some of my extra-ecclesiastical occupations:

- Model Railways and Trams (1/43 Scale, Australian, British and free-lance)
    At the moment I am working on a 1/43 scale model of a Sydney D class Tram circa 1900-1910. I've got a couple of generic British Shunting locomotives. My interests are fairly eclectic.

- Cycling
    I restored/rebuilt a 1982 Raleigh Royale and until a couple of years ago I rode it extensively. Bicycle touring is about the cheapest form of holiday that I can find. The Panniers get packed with camping and travelling gear and off I go for up to a week at a time. Travelling with bicycle panniers teaches you to pack light! I also had a couple of Raleigh Twenty bicycles, which I used to ride as A2B bicycles. I love old steel bicycles. They have a lovely aesthetic about them.

- Swing Dancing
    I used to do swing dancing every week until they moved the dance nights to the same night as choir practice! However, I do ensure that I maintain a repertoire of dance moves so that when parties come around I can still dance with friends.

- Pipe Smoking
    I know that people will criticise me, a singer, for smoking but I do enjoy the occasional briar of cherry cavendish! For a while I did collect pipes, but my mother disapproves and I cannot have them on display. One day I'll have a pipe-rack or a small cabinet to show them.

I used to also be into various community service groups. I was a member of the St John Ambulance and the Australian Air League. In the latter I was the Bandmaster for a Fife and Drum Corps, but this fell by the wayside. I had to quit a lot of things about 18 months ago when I developed a serious health problem which prevents me from doing as much as I would like. Most of my hobbies are in fact forms of therapy to help me through my current troubles.
  • CharlesW
    I, of course, can not know the specifics of your health problems. However, I can offer prayers for your recovery, and will gladly do so.
  • francis
    Hartleymartin... A good pipe is like nothin else.
  • AOZ
    Ha! This is such a funny thread...here goes

running
    swimming
    pumping iron (!)
    gardening
    mowing/weeding/edging
    cooking
    housework

common thread? Anything that keeps me active and isolated...so I can think!

• SalieriSalieri
    Power Chant
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Emo chant, Eno chant, Ero chant, Era chant, Aero chant, Elmo chant, Hell, no chant!, Well, no chant?, Eco chant, Echo chant, El Dochant, Elbow chant, End o' chant.....
  • Interesting hobbies and interests indeed. Aside from family responsibilities and house maintenance...
    1. Working/training my Border Collie and Australian Shepherd.
    2. I'm a licensed private pilot, so I like to fly in the area/train a couple of times per month.
  • Jani
    Here is my stained glass window, which Francis asked me to post. Some background: our parish built this church in 1989-90 and it is a very plain thing to behold. About 10 years ago, one of the women who cuts glass proposed that we build stained glass windows for the 18 clerestory windows. Each window is about 34"-36" wide, and I really can't remember how deep. She chose the colors and designs, opting for liturgical colors. All the windows were designed to have the diagonal pattern radiating down towards the sanctuary. But then I saw a pattern book that had windows with these medallions in the center, so I whined and fussed until she relented - warning me that this was not a beginner's window. Pffff. I think it turned out well, for a beginner ;-) But just in case you missed it, this is a dove with an olive branch in it's little beak, which incidentally is about a 1/4" triangle.
    863 x 445 - 65K
  • francis
    Jani

Very cool!

I am posting one of my stain glass windows designs. It is a fractal.

646 x 646 - 184K
  • Wow. fun to read this thread...thanks, Ben.
    Lemme see....(but wait....Charles! You're a fellow skins fan? Actually, that makes sense. Too bad they continue to self destruct....)

biking - road biking (esp. when annoyed...like Saturday, did 30 miles and now I can't remember what I was annoyed about....it works)
    my kids & my sweet husband
    laughing & being silly - often w/kids & friends, but more often w/ the dogs
    the beach....biking at the beach, swimming & esp. doing nothing but staring at the ocean
    gardening.....we have a couple of acres and I like to pretend I'm a flower farmer
    birding - finally got hummingbirds to hang out in our yard - next, bluebirds
    deering - made up name for trying to get 'our' deer to eat from a bowl while I hold it....and yes, I've had success....
    ignoring reality (which gets me into trouble)
    trying to figure out time
    Andy Griffith
    Frazier
    Lark Rise to Candleford
    White Collar
    The Good Wife (when she's good - don't like her when she's slutty)
    our four dogs - Josie black lab named after husbands grandmother (?); Lola-adopted w/name; and Lizzy and Jane, sisters named for the heroines of Pride & Pred. (what else?)
    watching Psych w/ my 15 yr. old son, James
    painting furniture
    painting floors - just did a checkerboard pattern on the screen porch
    making cake stands & jewelry keepers from vintage china...i know, i know...but it's a real thing - and sold them on Etsy
    swing dancing - with my daughter - hubby is NOT a dancing guy
    researching whatever interests me....spend a lot of time doing that
    photography
    psychoanalyzing people incorrectly
    Miss Marple, Poirot, Inspector Lewis, BBC, Masterpiece Theatre, Dowton Abbey
    driving our convertible mustang too fast
    Joni Mitchell
    the blues
    working on having better diction and avoiding talking like a guy from Jersey
    pretending every things fine cuz it usually is and I'm just freaking out
    playing my 1961 Martin Parlour guitar
    Eric Clapton - almost everything
    shopping online for vintage jewelry, china and sunglasses
    teaching the dogs to run on a leash while I ride my bike....(only two at a time)
    figuring out ways to go to the beach and/or buy a beach house
    great architecture (admiring it)
    art galleries (lingering there)
    laughing
    talking to God and cracking jokes w/ Him - but of course He always one ups me....
    lots more....but thats enough...

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • @ matthewj - hahahahahahahahah