Time for a church musician's union?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My Eastern brother and namesake, I'm afraid you've missed my larger point by not carefully reading both my first serious response and the inference to Julie's last point thoroughly.
    A corrupt union (oxymoron alert) such as SIEU, the Teamsters still led by a Hoffa or either of the teacher unions representing truly skilled through to a-pickin'/grinnin' banjo players serving Holy Mother Church is a marriage made in Hell, any way you slice it. mrcopper got it right even with the impotence of a benign union such as local musicians unions (of which I've been a member.)
    We're not exploited if we don't allow ourselves to be. And by comparison to coal miners in West Virginia and the appalachians, I wouldn't dare compare whatever woes we have to what they undergo, ever. And I won't even remark upon the concept of martyr musicians, given what's happening to Christians in Asia.
    Many thread topics occasionally invoke JS Bach for some purpose or another. Well, as I read and fleshed out his bio in Grove's in a semester seminar back in the day, I deemed him to be the role model of a genius musician who labored, particularly in Leipzig, under incredibly demanding and hardly pleasant circumstances. Would that we could now chase our choristers around with a large stick! But he, like Gregory the Great, Pius X and our very Lord, embodied "suffering servant of the servants." And it took JSB a couple of moves to get to Leipzig, presumably learning how to deal with "exploitation" throughout it all.
    I never endorsed the "We must work only for soli Deo gloria, and be joyful without recompense." But having a union boss speak for me would be like having a little cartoon red devil sitting right next to my ear. Not a chance.
  • BruceL
    One vote here for no unions. Let's focus on making our performances the best they can be, our interpersonal skills and refined as can be, and our adherence to the faith the best we can. I think that will do whatever someone seeks to do with a union much more effectively.
  • One thing that must be done, however, and might even be effective in this Francis age is to make bishops aware that their very legal offices are advising pastors not to use contracts and why that is almost immoral. What is legally expedient and smart is not always moral, and this is one of those cases.
  • CharlesW
    I agree, Charles, that unions can be worse than the disease. But wouldn't it be nice to have a few Teamsters to deal with Fr. Wimpy when he mistreats the help?

PGA, I would settle for the bishops reading and following the labor teachings of Leo XIII. It hasn't happened, yet.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    But having a union boss speak for me would be like having a little cartoon red devil sitting right next to my ear. Not a chance.

Compelling imagery, and I sympathize entirely; I imagine if there ever were a church musicians' union (which is a very big if, I know) one would not want someone like Jimmy Hoffa in charge. Talk about cognitive dissonance!

My only point is that in an ideal world it would be beneficial to have some sort of structure in place someday that could help prevent the kind of abuses/injustices we're all familiar with. How that could be set up or administered, I have no idea, and maybe something will have to be invented.

I just think of my own daughter who aspires to be a church organist someday and how good it would be if she could look forward to a professional sacred music career that is worth the time and training required. As things are now, I hesitate to encourage her to invest too much in that direction. Maybe that's the way things have always been for musicians, but isn't it worth exploring possible solutions to make things better?

BTW, I recall that Bishop Sample included this helpful directive in his recent pastoral letter, which is certainly a step in the right direction:

Pastors should see that musicians and those who direct them have opportunities for continuing education and authentic liturgical formation through agencies and events approved by the Bishop. In accord with the Church’s teaching on economic justice, pastors are to ensure that those who direct sacred music in the parish receive just compensation for their time and skills, commensurate with their experience and level of training.
  • kevinfkevinf
    So, is everyone moving to Portland?
    @melo: Send me your address as Woodford Reserve is as plentiful as water.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    I wish we could clone the good bishop and place copies of him across the country.
  • @Julie: us younger teachers graduated into an economy where there were little to no job openings in our field, especially arts and music. In Indiana where I live, you would have to go two hours just for an interview only to feel like you really were not interviewing for the job if you know what I mean. We have to accept what we are offered or there is no career for us in the field we love. The problem is that all of the schools and other employers know that. I would be willing to bet that pastors do too. In all fairness, I must admit that I work for two great and extremely understanding pastors. The organ at St Mary's, where I teach, is going to undergo a long overdue rebuild early next year.
  • JonDeulingJonDeuling
    I wonder if anyone will listen to me pour out my heart about getting fired as choir director recently, without any warning, on such an outdated and dusty thread. Dusty attics are always a good place to pour out your soul since there's likely no one there.

It hurts. I love our church's music and was so grateful to be hired here in September, 2018, at St Ann's in Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada (population about 10,000 in Quesnel). Praying every day that God would bless the music ministry and make my dreams come true for His glory, not my own. The pastor is a family friend who invited us to work here, my wife as youth minister and me as choir director. We moved with our 2 young children from Vancouver, 500 miles away.

The parish loved what I was doing. There was a ton of affirmation from the choir members as well. I was raising the bar and leading as best as I could; I was learning to lead by being a leader. I graduated from Music School, sang in a high-caliber ROTR choir in Vancouver for 5 years, and had more musical understanding than most volunteer music ministers in this diocese, and hence I was hired for my skills and experience.

Then I got called in a month ago by the pastor who told me very gravely that I was not displaying good enough leadership skills. Because he is being transferred to a new church soon, he didn't want to hand the responsibility of finding me a "leadership mentor" to the new pastor. Because I had received no warning and feedback or managerial support, they fired me with severance to be fair according to our provincial labour standards. It happened on the same day that we committed to buying a house here in Quesnel; after all, everything was going great and we wanted to put down roots. I had no forewarning that this would happen.

I recognize I need to be a better leader. No doubt about it. I wish they would have given me a heads up before getting fired. Then I could have reached out to people to mentor me in this area. Isn't that what a normal management is supposed to do?

I love our church music so much and it saddens me that they are de facto turning me into another unpaid volunteer who will maintain liturgical music status quo, or even lower the bar. I wish I had a union to protect my right to managerial support and protect our trade: quality liturgical music for the glory of God and the edification of our parishes.

Sincerely crying in the attic,
    Jonathan
  • Jonathan,
    Your post leaves me deeply saddened and troubled, if for no other reason than that readers like me can do so little to help other than just offer a cyber shoulder to cry on. (Crying is therapeutic so don't be ashamed of that.) After doing that though make time for yourself to think and pray things through. If you've been at fault, it will become clear and you will learn from it. If you've been as unjustly treated as your words suggest, you will grow from that traumatic experience as well and most likely will benefit from the loving support of parishioners. Church music can be a rough business and the best of musicians get knocked down from time to time. God provides the stuff of resilience however and I'm sure He will do the same for you.
  • CatherineS
    My prayers for you and your family.
  • cesarfranck
    In my neck of the woods, there is truly no one to replace me. If not for a loyal and dedicated choir and some very supportive parishioners, I am sure that one or more of our current or recent priests would have fired me simply because the music program - which is by no means a professional ensemble or huge group -- has from time to time been the one "healthy" group in the parish and for some choir members their only serious commitment to a parish organization. This often causes distrust or envy from priests. I pointed out to a former priest that perhaps he should be looking at what I do right rather than openly state his envy of the choir as a group that actually enjoyed working and learning together. I also noted the several ways in which my wife and I had gladly gone above and beyond to support and encourage other organizations. Currently I am preparing to leave my two year retirement from teaching and return to the classroom. This will be my safety net as I am determined to no longer dance around and placate over-inflated egos possessed by priests who feel "threatened" by a musician who fully understands his place and responsibilities within the parish. All of my venting has been to make the point that dismissals or firings as mentioned by JulieColl are often grounded in jealousies or feelings of inadequacy. Further, the terminated organist was probably fortunate to have escaped early from any sort of tenure with the hatchet-bearing priest.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • francis
    Jonathan

Here is my general rule of thumb when employed in the field of sacred music.

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Humble thy heart, and endure: incline thy ear, and receive the words of understanding: and make not haste in the time of clouds.

Wait on God with patience: join thyself to God, and endure, that thy life may be increased in the latter end.

Take all that shall be brought upon thee: and in thy sorrow endure, and in thy humiliation keep patience.

For gold and silver are tried in the fire, but acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation.

Believe God, and he will recover thee: and direct thy way, and trust in him. Keep his fear, and grow old therein.

Sirach 1:1-6

That said, we all can sympathize with you. If you follow the status quo it’s much “safer” for your own temporal well-being. But in the end it’s better to serve the Lord and not the status quo.

We commend you to the heart of Jesus and Mary and Joseph.

I might offer this for your meditation from my meager apostolate web page: (In particular, the second sorrow is quite fitting to our circumstance of being ousted for doing what is right)

http://silverwingsofthedove.org/the-seven-dolors-of-the-b-v-m

• chonakchonak
    I see from the bulletin that the new pastor will start in July; perhaps he will want to think differently.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Meh. Angling for more power in a diminishing market is like investing in zeppelins after Hindenberg.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • jcr
    I have thought of forming a Church Musician's Union, but during my lifetime I have noted several things that suggest the impossibility of any effective efforts in this direction. First, notice the "pecking order" in almost any organization formed around music. Among the sincere and committed there are also the political and ambitious. These forces are incompatible in many ways. (I heard a composer say that he was very pleased to attend an event where so many music-vocal music- people were getting along so well. Usually the only thing one could get two voice teachers to agree upon was the incompetence of a third.)

Second, the musicians have virtually not clout. Apart from hiring illegal muscle, there is no way to bring pressure upon priest or bishop to subscribe to any consistent musical guidelines.

Third, and what I believe to be the most important point in my own experience, is that no general improvement can take place until the priests themselves will commit to a high ethical standard in hiring, firing, and leadership. My personal experience and that of many I know in this field tells me that there is very little likelihood that this will happen any time soon. I have received and observed treatment at the hands of clergy that was far below decent standards of conduct and that was clearly the product of malicious intent. I have also seen priests exhibit great patience and kindness as well, but they are not the source of the problem under discussion.

Unethical conduct such as arranging a replacement musician before the present musician knows he is leaving, sending a registered letter outlining the faults of a musician without ever discussing any of the problems with him before, holding a congregational meeting in the absence of the musician to discuss the musician and his work in a critical way, etc.

While such thing continue, little headway can be made.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I wish I couldn't relate to so much of what you have written here, @jcr

Unfortunately, I've been through a lot, and I'm certainly not the only one. St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...
    Thanked by 1agonzalez_esp
  • jcr
    I think that a great many folks who work in the Church in one way or another have encountered some of these things. It is unfortunate, but they are commonplace, and, therefore, a part of the cost of being in this work. I don't know if I'll have another opportunity to jump into it again, but I will consider carefully and interview even more carefully and prayerfully. The truth is that there is no getting away from these things. I know a musician who said that she had decided to ask at each interview just what the priest's maladjustment is in order to gain a head start on what may follow.
  • "For gold and silver are tried in the fire, but acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation." Thanks be to God, and thank you @francis
  • francis
    tnx @JonDeuling...

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
    St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
    Our Lady of the Angels, interceed for us.
  • What about the American Federation of Musicians? They include freelancers as well as full-time musicians in their union. Does anyone here suppose this could be useful for our specific field? (I'm genuinely unsure what to say about this question -- I can see it going both ways.)

https://www.afm.org/
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    When you can hire aspiring musicians for a pittance, why pay scale?
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen MarkB
  • dad29
    When you can hire aspiring not-quite musicians for a pittance, why pay scale?

Fixed it for ya!!

Let me add this: a lot of parishes hire not-quite- musicians who are also not-quite-knowledgeable of Catholic liturgical practices and expectations. They're even cheaper!!
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • ...when... why pay scale?
    It all depends on the quality of musicianship that one wants, does it not?
    Of course, many 'aspiring musicians', and amateur ones too, are quite gifted with a level of musicianship that is beyond their their training and their years.
    Most, though, aren't.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    There have been a number of rather long threads on this topic, you can look them up...I can summarize...there are all sorts of organizations already, AGO, NPM CMAA etc, but none of them have any TEETH. The ONLY way this would work is if it was approached like a real labor union, that is ALL who work for the union refuse to work unless demands are met. I believe that presently this is difficult to envision or impossible.

If you look at even a cursory history of unions in the US, you will see that nothing gets changed until a large enough block of workers hold back their services - and it actually starts to hurt employers...enough that they actually negotiate.

If that WERE to happen, (seems fairly far fetched) I can see several things flowing from it:

1. The Catholic hierarchy would just dismiss everyone and hire non union people. This is most likely I think. (of course it would be done in such a way as to be made to appear "the only right thing to do")
    2. because church musicians are already so low paid, most live paycheck to paycheck, and most people would break the union and go back to work simply to survive. REMEMBER, in US labor unions, the only reason that workers could strike for extended periods, is because the union supported them financially! With such a small union - we would be hard pressed to gather 1000 members I would think, there is no way we could support strikes over an extended time -in comparison to the UAW for example:

The UAW is headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. It has more than 391,000 active members and more than 580,000 retired members in over 600 local unions, and holds 1,150 contracts with some 1,600 employers.

I think further discussion is pointless, sorry to say.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    I would also like to add...historically, Musician's unions do not have much teeth - look up the Las Vegas story where musicians stuck, and every hotel and entertainment venue just replaced them all with taped music. No one cared.
  • dad29
    Even more pointed: after wrangling $25 million in the 'coronavirus relief' bill, the Kennedy Center laid off all its (union) musicians. Some 'strength' there, no?
    Thanked by 2ghmus7 CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    Well said!
  • ghmus7
    As long as we are jawing....responding to JulieColl above:

My only point is that in an ideal world it would be beneficial to have some sort of structure in place someday that could help prevent the kind of abuses/injustices we're all familiar with. How that could be set up or administered, I have no idea, and maybe something will have to be invented.

The AGO DID for decades have rule whereby if a member was found to be "unreasonably terminated" (Can't recall the wording), AGO members were forbidden to interview for or accept that position. This rule was in effect for decades, but was abandoned, I have no idea why.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    In 2015 the Federal Trade Commission investigated the AGO and alleged that it violated antitrust laws through that rule and others ("bench fees", non-competition against incumbents) and by publishing compensation schedules. FTC said it received complaints from "consumers" (i.e., employers of organists) and from some organists.

In 2017 the AGO settled the matter by giving up the disputed practices, since (according to a statement in The American Organist, February 2017) AGO's counsel told the organization that the practices could not be sustained under legal precedents in force.

The same statement also speaks to the question of a church musicians' union:
    Unions are allowed to establish fee schedules. Why don't we become a union? Unions are not permitted to accept tax deductible, charitable gifts from members, foundations, or government agencies like the NEA.
    This is a major source of income for the AGO and many chapters. Moreover, unions establish fee schedules for "labor" by negotiating with "management". Our members work for thousands of different employers. There is no central "management" representing all of the employers; i.e., there is no management representative with authority over the clergy with whom we could negotiate.
  • I wonder, though, Chonak, why is it forbidden for the AGO merely to set guidelines for paying church musicians, and to expect ethical behaviours from its members when trade unions are free to demand and legally enforce pay scales for their members. There are even some states in which the law requires workers in given trades to belong to a union. The FTC doesn't seem bothered by them. The prejudice here is obvious.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    I thought the antitrust argument was specious since it appears AGO is a monopoly. In reality, many and in some places, most organists don't belong to AGO.

Remember Leo XIII and the "just wage" theory? The church does a terrible job of practicing what it preaches.
  • chonakchonak
    The public comments submitted about the FTC's complaint against the AGO are here:
    https://www.ftc.gov/policy/public-comments/2017/04/initiative-699

Some of the comments are just a few lines, while some come with additional documents containing detailed discussion of the issues. Very interesting material.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • ghmus7
    Frankly, I thought that the who FTC mess came from the Obama over regulation happy government. Ye shall know them by their fruits. NO AGO member was hurt or discriminated against by existing AGO policies, that was a fiction, and the AGO was forced to spend tens of thousands of the members' dollars to straighten it out. The result: The AGO no longer can create guidelines or advise or make meaningful decisions about anything. The organization has been neutered by the FTC and had to pay for it's own stripping!
  • ghmus7
    T JonD:
    It might be worth it to find out if the pastor violated the diocese termination rules in firing you. MOST diocese have a three - letter rule. There have to be three instances where an employee has not met standards or has not improved - the problems have to be clearly laid out. It sounds that this was NOT DONE AT ALL in your case - you might have a case for a review by the human resources dept of the diocese.
  • jcr
    The problem with all of this is that after all is said and done and even if there is a grievance procedure and the bishop or other authority rules in your favor, who wants to work where he is not wanted and where his work life will be made unbearable by those who attempted to run him out? When in such a situation, we (my wife and I) have always opted to move on. Staying to spite them is going to cost you to be sure. We had a conversation with a Vicar one time who said that he could not understand why so many pastors wanted to "kill the progeny of their predecessors". Good question.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Agonzales - I am a long time member of the AF of M. I have had many talks with some of its leadership and I can tell you they would never agree to any relationship within any church; especially the Catholic Church. The underground good ole boys clergy of the Catholic Church and the mafioso boys wouldn't dream of butting heads for several "confessional" reasons. Get my drift?